Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2011, 02:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Excalibur, 5.0 HO
Not Ranked     
Default exhaustive research

I am in the process of having some work done on my Excal. One of the upgrades will be a new exhaust system. New headers are part of it. I am working with Bob Benett of Bennett Coachworks in Milwaukee Wisconsin.
Bennett Coachworks - Fine, Exotic and Custom Auto Restoration and Fabrication
My car went to his shop yesterday.
Bob Worked with Excalibur and built the frame weld fixtures and also welded the first 11 frames among other things. His shop is very familiar with these cars and he tells me it's like a long lost family member coming home when they get one to work on. His web site shows at least one Excalibur that recieved a GT40 motor along with numerous other upgrades. Go to the "completed projects" link on his web site for a plethora of pictures of this build along with other cars he has done.
Back to the topic. He will be building a fixture when he makes my headers so he will be able to make copies of them and provide them to other Excal owners. I will keep you guys posted on how this goes. I asked him to take picture of the progress. Maybe I can get him to post a photo of the headers and the fixture for making them.
Mine will get silver ceramic coating and race glaze interior. Finally, FOUR functioning pipes going into the collector.
Old 07-31-2011, 03:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Excalibur Cobra 5.0 FI
Not Ranked     

I know Bob, and he does excellent work. And he does know Cobra relicas and Excaliburs in particular. He helped to develop them originally.
Old 08-04-2011, 10:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SOLD Excalibur, '94-'95 5.0 EFI, Edelbrock heads, E303 cam, 1.7RR, Cobra intake, 24lb injectors, 93 cobra ECU, 65mm TB, hi flow cats.
Not Ranked     
Default Headers, side exhaust

PM Cobra,
Great news.

Recently I purchased a set of Classic Roadster II headers and improved side pipes. Close, but no cigar. I will need to bend the collector up about 2 inches for a start as I fit these. Since I want to retain the original polished stainless side pipes, I'll need to fabricate about a 3 inch extension for the header collector to mate with the OEM side pipes. I intend to open the side pipes up and get the restriction out of the interior. Not sure what is in there as they were cut and re-welded before I got the car (no history on that). I noticed the original side pipes did not exit in the center (front to rear) of the body cut out so I'll be trying to correct that with the extension geometry. Probably have to move the mount at the rear of the side pipe to compensate for relocating the exit point at the front.

I've seen Bob's work on the green and gold car and it was impressive. Hope he can get all of these issues with our original exhaust worked out as well. Our cars are mostly at or near the need for replacement of the headers and long overdue a real performance header and side pipe system. Bob definitely should build the jigs for these as I'm confident many others will be customers. I certainly would have had I not already gotten neck deep in what I started.

Post as progress is made and especially have Bob put up some photos. Consider the side pipes in stainless for durability.

I don't think I have you in our spread sheet. Please contact me at mduke8@gmail.com and give me info on your car (last 6 of the VIN, color, options and mods, mileage, owner history, etc.). If you sent it to me before, I must have lost it. I'll send you a copy of our spreadsheet and some other info on parts, sources, history, maintenance, etc. that I have collected. Thanks again for this update. Lots of owners have experienced the restrictions and cracking of the original exhaust system and this is welcome news.

Mike
Old 08-06-2011, 11:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Excalibur, 5.0 HO
Not Ranked     
Default Excalibur Exhaust

MIke,
I sent you my cars info again.
I do have the Cobra File You sent me but if anything has been added in the last year, you could send it again when you gat a minute. I will Post any progress when the car gets up on the rack.
I will probably be trying to sell the original heads and sidepipes. Don't know what els will be worth trying to sell but the entire top end is being upgraded. (heads, intake, throttle body) If you know any one that might be interested.
Thanks
Old 08-07-2011, 05:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SOLD Excalibur, '94-'95 5.0 EFI, Edelbrock heads, E303 cam, 1.7RR, Cobra intake, 24lb injectors, 93 cobra ECU, 65mm TB, hi flow cats.
Not Ranked     
Default Updated Spread Sheet and Info Sheet

For those wanting an electronic copy of the current updated Excalibur JAC 427 VIN order spread sheet and the history, parts, maintenance info document, request by email to me at mduke8@gmail.com. Updated info on both since March 2007 is in red font to help those with older copies find differences. In a few days, I will redo these with all black font and start the update process over.

Mike
Old 08-28-2011, 11:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Excalibur cobra in europe

Hi

I am thinking of buying an excalibur cobra, but need to know
how you guys from europe has got your car registered.

Does it have a tûv certificate ? on a special certificate ?

Thanks in advance.

Tom
Denmark
Old 08-29-2011, 06:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Tom,
You probably need to contact Eric Sauter (Cobraeric). He has 074 and lives in Neukirchen, Germany. I'll send you his email by PM. He is very knowledgeable about the European Excaliburs. I believe he knows how to import one from the states or can put you in touch with someone who does.

Mike
Old 08-29-2011, 10:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks Mike ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobraduke View Post
Tom,
You probably need to contact Eric Sauter (Cobraeric). He has 074 and lives in Neukirchen, Germany. I'll send you his email by PM. He is very knowledgeable about the European Excaliburs. I believe he knows how to import one from the states or can put you in touch with someone who does.

Mike
Old 12-22-2011, 10:06 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Custom built Excalibur 351C
Not Ranked     
Default Excalibur Cobra charging system

An important tip from Bob Bennett:

================================================== ===

There should be 2 wires to the alternator:
- Main power
- Exciter circuit

There should be a 500 ohm resistor in the exciter circuit so the charging system will work in the event the amber / "Idiot" light on the dash burns out.

Without the resistor, the charging system will NOT work (if the amber light is burned out.)
Old 12-22-2011, 10:15 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Custom built Excalibur 351C
Not Ranked     
Default Excalibur posters & literature

I have a few Excalibur posters and literatures for sale.

PM me if interested.
Old 01-01-2012, 06:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohekk View Post
An important tip from Bob Bennett:

================================================== ===

There should be 2 wires to the alternator:
- Main power
- Exciter circuit

There should be a 500 ohm resistor in the exciter circuit so the charging system will work in the event the amber / "Idiot" light on the dash burns out.

Without the resistor, the charging system will NOT work (if the amber light is burned out.)
This is Tom, lead tech for Bennett Coachworks. Just wanted to add that the resistor is wired in parallel with the "Idiot" light and a 1/2 watt resistor is all you need. Also it does not have to be exactly 500 ohms, Radio Shack stocks 470 ohm, 1/2 watt resistors that work great for this application.
Old 01-02-2012, 01:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Excal. AC Cobra, 302, 2-4bbl carbs
Not Ranked     

Hi Tom:

Mine is a 1997 Excalibur AC Cobra, # 162. I was told the 302 engine is a 1995. I would very much be interested in a complete components list, although ddavies list above was very helpful.

From the list above, it looks like the steering rack comes from a reliable source that I would consider safe at high speeds.

Thanks for this thread

Jim (Muldoon)
Old 01-02-2012, 01:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Excal. AC Cobra, 302, 2-4bbl carbs
Not Ranked     

Mine is #162. I am interested in any posters or literature for the Excalibur AC Cobra.

Jim
Old 04-01-2012, 02:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1993 Excalibur Vin # 003, flawless body, blue/white, stock 5.0 with dual 4's, engine dress up
Not Ranked     
Default Love Excaliburs

Tom

I own my second Exicalibur Cobra. My current one is a 1993 and my VIN is 003, which is an original blue with white stripes and 17,000+ miles.

We are currently building out the engine with duel 4's, alum. heads, great cam, etc

I would like any info that might be out there on Excalibur and especially my VIN. I purchased it from the original owner who was a wonderful lady with a great love for this Cobra
Old 05-12-2012, 06:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Here is the specific info from Bob Bennett on his jig welded headers and side pipes for the Excalibur Cobra:

Here is what we are offering;

Headers
1 5/8' primary tubes, 16ga flanged to match your port design header to side-pipe gasket set

Side-pipes
O2 bungs welded in (not required with Carburated cars)
O2 18" extension cords supplied to wire in (not required with carburated cars)
14ga bracket welded in place to match Excalibur mount
welds blended smooth

Pricing

Complete package-plain, ready to paint and install
$2,763.92 crated and ready to ship

Complete package-Polished Ceramic Chrome, with Ceramic Race Glaze on inside of Headers
$3,679.92 crated and ready to ship

Payment and Placing an Order

$2,000.00 deposit. Half of balance due on Ceramic Chrome Package when they are shipped to Ceramic Coating Facility. Balance plus shipping due when package is ready to ship.

We need to know which cylinder heads you are using when you place the order, so we can match the header flange to the exhaust ports.

We have also tooled up to make just the side-pipes for Excaliburs. They have different angles and lengths than the header/side-pipe package and are for use with the original Excalibur exhaust system. These are available for about $1700 raw, plus crating and shipping and any ceramic coating you may want.

Note: Other colors are available for the Ceramic Coatings, call for specific pricing.

Thank You for your interest.

Best Regards,

Bob Bennett

Bennett Coachworks LLC
1500 N. 4th Street
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
414.298.2068 shop
Milwaukee WI Hot Rod Builders | Auto Restoration Services | Vehicle Updating | Bennett Coachworks

Mike

Last edited by cobraduke; 05-12-2012 at 10:21 AM..
Old 05-12-2012, 07:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Excalibur Cobra, Headers/Side-pipes pics

Some installed pictures of Bennett Header/Side-pipe package.

Old 06-27-2012, 11:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Excalibur Cobra 5.0 FI
Not Ranked     

Does anybody have a part # for the brake booster? Mine is a 1996.

Thanks,

Doug
Old 06-29-2012, 01:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Doug,
Can't be sure, but I have a part pick list showing the booster as Bendix 2514-109.

Mike
Old 08-20-2012, 09:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Excalibur Cobra, 302 fi
Not Ranked     
Default Radio Question

Anyone ever swap out the stock radio for a vintage/retro style one? I'd like to keep the radio and looking for something a bit more period correct than the stock radio Excalibur installed.
Old 02-24-2013, 12:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Excaliber, Ford 5.0
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muldoon View Post
Hi Tom:

Mine is a 1997 Excalibur AC Cobra, # 162. I was told the 302 engine is a 1995. I would very much be interested in a complete components list, although ddavies list above was very helpful.

From the list above, it looks like the steering rack comes from a reliable source that I would consider safe at high speeds.

Thanks for this thread

Jim (Muldoon)
Does it have airbags?
My understanding from talking to the guy who used to build them said there was only one build in 1997 and it had airbags (new law) and government also required 10 for crash testing and that's when they said forget it, we are done making them.