Like Tree135Likes

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2014, 09:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: N.A.F., 351 cleveland, 9" ford
Not Ranked     

I like Tribute to the Original Cobra, Replica is close, but many cars are replicas in the very looseness of the term.
Old 04-07-2014, 01:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 86 Everett Morrison 90" WB. 428 FE
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by REAL 1 View Post
After you are finished reading the self seving analysis offered here you will find the correct answers in the current SAAC Registry of Cobras & GT40s.
I resent that remark, nothing self serving in my comment. All tongue and cheek here.

Ralphy
Old 04-07-2014, 02:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CR Cobra 3169
Not Ranked     

I think that everyone wants to answer the public without them walking away, and muttering, bugger it's not real. If you say kit car, they think it came out of a cornflakes box and glued together like a scale model. If you say, Is a v8 supercar a real commodore or ford? no its a replica with a worked engine and a body wrapped around a race car, to look like a street car. Without wanting to upset real1, they were all replicas of a English built ace and fully worked to be a race car. They were put together with different bits and pieces from the start. I'm just proud to own one, and that's all that matters to me.
JD
Old 04-07-2014, 02:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Does it matter?
Old 04-07-2014, 04:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by hectorturer View Post
What would be the right answer to all the people that ask me when driving around? Many compliments to the car but the question always comes, is that car original? I said is an improved Shelby Cobra reproduction. The replica or kit sounds unreliable in this part of the world
I don't think there is a right answer that "all" people will put in the same context. IMO it's not a Shelby Cobra unless it was produced by and invoiced out under SAI or one of lt's Carrol Shelby-owned iterations. However, the term "Cobra" alone has become a generic term that applies to all of these cars, whether original Shelby cars or replicas/kit cars/customs/hot rods that exhibit a similar body design and style. So I would call it whatever makes sense to you - because your description will probably satisfy some people, but others will put it in a different context.

I like Cobra Replica myself. To me a kit car is an antiquated term from the days of dune buggies and Fiberfab Avengers or whatever they were that bolted on to a VW chassis. Also, my context of "kit" cars is more in line with a custom car that does not try to closely mimic any particular manufactured car but is more custom syled. The term kit car IMO doesn't match a lot of these cars that come as completed roller/runners such as Kirtham, Backdraft, ERA, Unique, etc. Some can be had both ways - as a complete roller/runner, or as a do-it yourself project - like ERA. Others are only available as a do-it-yourself project like "FFR". The term 'replica' implies it is intended to closely resemble or mimic the original. But I guess if it originally arrived at your home strapped to a pallet with a couple dozen boxes of parts and assembly instructions - it's a kit. When it's assembled, it's a Cobra replica.
KevinW likes this.
Old 04-07-2014, 04:38 AM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby Cobra CSX4206 aluminum body, original 1965 NASCAR 427 SO, Dual quads.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralphy View Post
I resent that remark, nothing self serving in my comment. All tongue and cheek here.

Ralphy
Gee, let me be the first to apologize. Couldn't see your tounge in your cheek.

Can you see mine?

Btw I resented your remark in post 14. Whether it was self serving or not it's factually incorrect and clearly a shot at what you don't own.

Btw, price is totally irrelevant to the answer to the question.

It's all in the Resgistry. Read and learn. The op asked for the "right" answer to give. Not some contorted bs that contains a shot at something your clearly don't own.
Old 04-07-2014, 05:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates/Shell Valley Street Cobra
Not Ranked     

I could care less what the " Registry " says. Not all replicas are kit cars. I clearly own a replica.
Old 04-07-2014, 07:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Factory Five chassis/Mr. Bruce slabside
Not Ranked     

Isn't this fun!! and SILLY.

John O
Old 04-07-2014, 08:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: era 427 side oiler
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

real shelby cobras were built in the 60's. it doesn't matter how much you paid or what it says in the registry, ALL THE REST ARE KITS, REPLICAS, CLONES, REPRODUCTIONS or what ever else you wish to call them. that's just the way it is......DEAL WITH IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
rokfor likes this.
Old 04-07-2014, 08:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates/Shell Valley Street Cobra
Not Ranked     

The originals were built in the 1960''s.....but Shelby Cobras are still being built today by Shelby America just as Porsche's and Ferrari's and Jaguar's and Bugatti's and Bentley's and Rolls ect....so deal with it.
Old 04-07-2014, 08:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Honda Fit Kit

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8GLIJ_HQJ8]The Honda Handmade Series: First DIY Honda Car - YouTube[/ame]

Ralphy
SpecOp1 likes this.
Old 04-07-2014, 01:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA - B2Motorsports Dart 331
Not Ranked     

They are Cobras -

chr
Ralphy likes this.
Old 04-07-2014, 03:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by REAL 1 View Post
Btw I resented your remark in post 14. Whether it was self serving or not it's factually incorrect and clearly a shot at what you don't own.

What the H are you talking about?

First off you said, "it's factually incorrect" EXACTLY! And contorted, that's the point.

I would love to own a Shelby. All though I'd take a Kirkham first. Your over thinking my post a bit, lay off the caffeine! lol

You also said, "The op asked for the "right" answer to give. Not some contorted bs that contains a shot at something your clearly don't own."

Notice the OP replied to me in post 17, "Haha lol"
That's between me and the OP, not a self appointed board monitor.

I guess the OP liked my contorted BS answer. And by now you've seen many others give BS contorted answers to the old question. We all know the situation, we've all experienced the, "what is it?" So you going after the other 40 or so posters?

Ralphy
Old 04-07-2014, 03:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Factory Five chassis/Mr. Bruce slabside
Not Ranked     

As I said earlier, this is just so silly.

John O
Mother and Ralphy like this.
Old 04-07-2014, 05:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Factory Five Mk4, Ford Racing Z427
Not Ranked     
Default I'm with tell the truth

Mine is a Factory 5 Mk4. You can elaborate by explaining that it is a well thought out component car much like the originals were but without the $1,000,000.00 price tag.
PhoneGuy likes this.
Old 04-07-2014, 10:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: csx4163 full comp alu. body
Not Ranked     

Depends on who's asking. If I'm at a SAAC event the csx # tells everyone what it is. Even then some don't know that only 11 factory approved full comp cars were built and what that includes. I try to tailor my answer to who's asking. Some come up and ask if its a continuation which I answer yes. I can tell they know something about cobras, no need for long answers. Some I just agree that its a Volkswagen with a cobra body on it and they go away happy. I had a sign made to put in front of the car sometimes. When its out I often point to it and say I'm getting old and forget so I have to write it down. Most of the time their mind was made up before they came over to look at it.
KevinW likes this.
Old 04-08-2014, 05:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Crendon 427 S/C 428 FE+toploader
Not Ranked     

An entertaining thread.... I like Dan and Razerwise's comments.
I think Cobra replica is a good reply, if indeed you intended it to mimic the original as much as you could.

I've had loads of nice comments on my old car, many when it was in a gelcoat mess. Except for one guy: his kids were pointing and shouting 'wow', so he felt obliged to point and shout 'KIT CAR!!!' at us. Each to his own, I didnt care, but pity the kids.
Ralphy and hectorturer like this.
Old 04-08-2014, 03:21 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby Cobra CSX4206 aluminum body, original 1965 NASCAR 427 SO, Dual quads.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by razerwire View Post
Depends on who's asking. If I'm at a SAAC event the csx # tells everyone what it is. Even then some don't know that only 11 factory approved full comp cars were built and what that includes. I try to tailor my answer to who's asking. Some come up and ask if its a continuation which I answer yes. I can tell they know something about cobras, no need for long answers. Some I just agree that its a Volkswagen with a cobra body on it and they go away happy. I had a sign made to put in front of the car sometimes. When its out I often point to it and say I'm getting old and forget so I have to write it down. Most of the time their mind was made up before they came over to look at it.
Good response.
Old 04-08-2014, 03:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Boss Replica Motors BB 460 by New Generation Engines
Not Ranked     

Why not just say, "It's a hand built custom car." "And its my dream come true to own." That would be a comfortable way to start a conversation.
Ralphy likes this.
Old 04-09-2014, 03:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

My thought has been the term kit, is loosely and many times used as a battering term. To me a kit, just as in the Honda Fit video? Is a car NOT assembled and finished by the manufacture. Honda was right on with the title Honda Fit Kit. The only difference being Honda would have not assembled the vehicle. Finished by the owner or some other third party. Many owners IMO do a better job than the manufacture and some not. So to term a car, kit? First off you need to know who built it. I you were to purchase a factory, you would expect/hope some quality guidelines were kept. However that may not be true!

So I see these categories.

1. Original
2. Reproduction Factory
3. Reproduction Kit
4. Replica Factory
5. Replica Kit

I didn't build mine I know the original owner had his built by a shop who did at least several cars. So I own a Replica Kit and that's what I've always told others.

Ralphy