Like Tree55Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2015, 10:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernica View Post
One might wonder if this isn't some kind of loophole being used to allow SAI to sell directly to buyers and bypass their dealers once again, like the 50th anniversary editions?
Ding Ding Ding and we have a winner.

Dean
Old 05-14-2015, 10:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

double post the forum is still not up to speed

Last edited by kanuck; 05-14-2015 at 10:05 AM..
Old 05-14-2015, 10:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Scratch built CSX style frame, Carbon fiber body, 393 Stroker, T-bird IRS, T5
Not Ranked     

Well, SAI does have a lot of lawyers on retainer that don't have much to do these days since the lawsuits have pretty much been shut down. Just one more way to pay their way by inventing new ways to sell cars that bring a premium (and possibly bypass the dealer network)?

Bob
Old 05-14-2015, 10:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Nissan
Not Ranked     

Kirkham is going to be a busy shop manufacturing the 50th Anniv and competition cars.
Old 05-14-2015, 10:34 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Peaks View Post
Well, SAI does have a lot of lawyers on retainer that don't have much to do these days since the lawsuits have pretty much been shut down. Just one more way to pay their way by inventing new ways to sell cars that bring a premium (and possibly bypass the dealer network)?

Bob
Well, they surely can afford more lawyers today than prior to May 4, 2015, just ten (10) days ago, when the stock price was $0.15. It's up to $0.19 today or 27% in ten (10) days. And up 5.6% just today alone.

Can you say "pump and dump"?
Old 05-14-2015, 11:56 AM
Full Blown Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Premier Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 427 S/C, Twin Paxton 511 FE
Not Ranked     

Tevor made an excellent point. Let Shelby finally fill the missing chassis numbers. As long as gaps exist, these special cars will be on the horizon. Call 'em what they want. Charge what they want and let the market decide. Circumventing their dealers is different story IMO (unless there's a special carve out for special editions - which I don't think there is).

Shelbeste, or Denby (are they the same company yet?) is finishing these cars with an engine. For CA, (CA? I know, who cares ), that a no-no. I guess they can sell them complete (with registration) through a foundation but that's a thin veil if the 'watchers' are watching.

Buying a new ally Shelby special edition "investment grade" Cobra for anything more than a reasonable premium ($5k?) over a regular ally Shelby, is nutso. And that's being generous.

Have previous special editions ever been worth more? I wouldn't kick a 40th Anniversary Cobra out of my garage, but I wouldn't pay more for it. And those badges would immediately become paperweights.
Old 05-14-2015, 12:04 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby Cobra CSX4206 aluminum body, original 1965 NASCAR 427 SO, Dual quads.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobjshelbys View Post
By the way, it's entirely consistent with the mentality of this forum to totally bash this. Shelby is evil, shelby is a snake, but shelby was smart. Everyone forgets that if Shelby hadn't taken a V8 and put it in that little AC car, this forum wouldn't exist. The AC Ace would have died. You're only jealous you (1) don't own the original VINS and (2) DIDN'T COME UP WITH THE IDEA FIRST.
While Tony has painted broadly there is more than a kernel of truth to his statements as to this forum and many (not all) of the participants.

I for one would love an original 427 or a 289 truth be told but I am not willing to upset my retirement applecart to get one. I am quite happy with my Continuation Shelby.

I would also love to have a Continuation Series 289 FIA or a GT40. But can't have it all unless your Prince Yabba Dabba Doo or Jay Leno or Seinfeld.

Shelby did both good and bad in his life. But that's all of us. On balance he did more good. He created a charity for children with heart problems, he brought us the beloved Shelby Cobra and Cobra lore and history. He is and will always be a legend.

Did he make bad decisions?...you bet. Examples are the lawsuits against FFR etc..., the effort to sell "Completion" Cobras that were well, not "completion" cars really....but on balance he did more good than bad IMHO.

In my travels and experience I have not found any venomous attitudes of Continuation owners towards owners of originals. Not one that I can remember or any specific incident or comment that I can recall that would draw me to such a conclusion. I guess Bill has a different experience.

In fact, my experience is quite the opposite. I find many owners of originals are dismissive of the continuation series and contemptuous of their owners. I get it, they want to be the only REAL Cobra on the block and don't like the appearance of the new series. Even many notable and well known owners of originals have this attitude. Doesn't bother me though since none of them have "God" like status in my book just because they are lucky enough or have enough dough to buy an original. This is regardless of who they are. The facts are the facts and history is history. Not even they can change that. The SAAC Registry put the issue to rest and the true expert and final arbiter, Carroll Shelby made his position clear. That's all I need.

If this new "Completion" series is sitting on a newly manufactured chassis it is going to be nothing more than a continuation series with a CSX 3000 vin. As far as I am concerned everything that SAI does after Carroll's death is diluted now that Carroll is no longer around. Some with the money may find it worth it to pay high six figures for a Completion car but unless it sits on a 1965 chassis it would not be worth it to me and in my book is not a true completion car.

At least the Continuation series is what it purports to be. A Cobra of a new series and new Cobra that continues the production of Cobras by SAI.

Last edited by REAL 1; 05-14-2015 at 12:14 PM..
Old 05-14-2015, 12:07 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodneym View Post
Shelbeste, or Denby (are they the same company yet?) is finishing these cars with an engine. For CA, (CA? I know, who cares ), that a no-no. I guess they can sell them complete (with registration) through a foundation but that's a thin veil if the 'watchers' are watching.
"Those who fail to learn the lessons of history are doomed to repeat them."

Quote:
Have previous special editions ever been worth more? I wouldn't kick a 40th Anniversary Cobra out of my garage, but I wouldn't pay more for it. And those badges would immediately become paperweights.
The CSX badges are meaningful to some, just not to me.
Old 05-14-2015, 12:19 PM
Full Blown Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Premier Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 427 S/C, Twin Paxton 511 FE
Not Ranked     

Rodknock,
I meant 'anniversary badges' are meaningless to me.
And my 'CSX' numbered badge that many display on their dash or trans tunnel?
In my desk. Right next to my imaginary 40th Anniversary badges.
Old 05-14-2015, 12:30 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by REAL 1 View Post
In fact, my experience is quite the opposite. I find many owners of originals are dismissive of the continuation series and contemptuous of their owners. I get it, they want to be the only REAL Cobra on the block and don't like the appearance of the new series. Even many notable and well known owners of originals have this attitude. Doesn't bother me though since none of them have "God" like status in my book just because they are lucky enough or have enough dough to buy an original. This is regardless of who they are. The facts are the facts and history is history. Not even they can change that. The SAAC Registry put the issue to rest and the true expert and final arbiter, Carroll Shelby made his position clear. That's all I need.
Personally, I'm OK with the owners of real Shelby Cobras (CSX 2000's & 3000's made prior to circa 1970) being dismissive, snooty and contemptuous of replica owners (Shelby Continuations, KMP, BDR, SPF, FFR, ERA, etc.). They should be. We're diluting the brand and their value of their cars. I get it. And I'm sorry for it. My apologies to the REAL Shelby Cobra owners. But I'm not selling my Kirkham.

As for the possible next batch of Shelby replicas, as Liam Neeson says in the movie Taken 3, "Good luck."
Old 05-14-2015, 12:33 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Rodknock,
I meant 'anniversary badges' are meaningless to me.
And my 'CSX' numbered badge that many display on their dash or trans tunnel?
In my desk. Right next to my imaginary 40th Anniversary badges.
Sorry, I knew what you were talking about. I just expanded on your post, but should have noted it. Sorry.
Old 05-14-2015, 01:40 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby Cobra CSX4206 aluminum body, original 1965 NASCAR 427 SO, Dual quads.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKnock View Post
Personally, I'm OK with the owners of real Shelby Cobras (CSX 2000's & 3000's made prior to circa 1970) being dismissive, snooty and contemptuous of replica owners (Shelby Continuations, KMP, BDR, SPF, FFR, ERA, etc.). They should be. We're diluting the brand and their value of their cars. I get it. And I'm sorry for it. My apologies to the REAL Shelby Cobra owners. But I'm not selling my Kirkham.

As for the possible next batch of Shelby replicas, as Liam Neeson says in the movie Taken 3, "Good luck."
Would not expect any less from you.

As far as I am concerned any owner of an original who is dismissive, snooty and contemptuous of replica owners can kiss my a$$.

This goes especially as to their attitude toward the Continuation series cars. SAAC and Carroll have spoken. "Oh well" for them. Read it and weep as they say.

Also glad I'm not the only one who noticed their lousy attitude.
Old 05-14-2015, 01:55 PM
Senior CC Premier Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX #4xxx with CSX 482; David Kee Toploader
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Would not expect any less from you.

As far as I am concerned any owner of an original who is dismissive, snooty and contemptuous of replica owners can kiss my a$$.

This goes especially as to their attitude toward the Continuation series cars. SAAC and Carroll have spoken. "Oh well" for them. Read it and weep as they say.

Also glad I'm not the only one who noticed their lousy attitude.
I have attended many events that also had original CSX's there and have almost always been treated well by their owners and without attitude.

The only time I felt out of place or "dismissed" was when I participated at the Dana Point Concourse d'Elegance and the organizers parked me right along side 3 pristine originals out on the golf course.

Hell, I even said "crap! why did you park me here?" , then endured a whole bunch of comments from a couple of the other owners asking why I was in "their" group.

Not surprisingly, out of 4 cars in the category, I ended up in 4th place!
Old 05-14-2015, 02:03 PM
Senior CC Premier Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX #4xxx with CSX 482; David Kee Toploader
Not Ranked     

Quote:

And I was just fine with that!
Old 05-14-2015, 02:13 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
SAAC, Carroll and m-o-n-e-y have spoken.
FIFY.

As did the extra roughly $1,000,000+ in revenue for the additional SAAC Registries sold to the owners of continuation GT40's, Daytona Coupe's, Cobra's, etc.
Old 05-14-2015, 02:21 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

And you have proof of this pay for play insinuation? Enquiring minds would love to know or are you just blowing smoke as usual.

You obviously can enlighten us since you seem to have access to the SAAC financial records.

Last edited by REAL 1; 05-14-2015 at 02:48 PM..
Old 05-14-2015, 02:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX4000, 427
Not Ranked     

These cars (topic) keep on coming back, kind of like Herpes. Hmmm. Original article 1992.

NYG, were you even born yet?

With all the hoopla over the years, I would have thought SAI would have just let those frames fade away. I guess not, for obvious reasons.

!0 or so years ago, I was at an English sports car show, looking over a impeccable Autocraft. Two old guys come up beside me, and the one says to me " Huh, this isn't a real cobra, it's a fake; the reals ones were made in the sixties"

I said, "so, do you own an original"

He points to his belt buckle which has a CSX2000 number on it. "yes", he says.

I said "do you still have it?"

He said "no, sold it many years ago".

I said, "well in my book, a fake cobra beats a no cobra any day"

He turned and walked away.
Dominik and Bernica like this.
"After jumping into an early lead, Miles pitted for no reason. He let the entire field go by before re-entering the race. The crowd was jumping up and down as he stunned the Chevrolet drivers by easily passing the entire field to finish second behind MacDonald's other team Cobra. The Corvette people were completely demoralized."
Old 05-14-2015, 02:33 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
And you have proof of this pay for play insinuation? Enquiring minds would love to know or are you just blowing smoke as usual.

You obviously can enlighten us since you seem to have access to the SAAC books.
SAAC definitely doesn't want me to audit their books. I can guarantee finding the dead carcuss(es).

You can't be that naive. You're an attorney for heaven's sake. I vaguely remember you surfing CC for business ($1MM retainers) not too long ago.

Money is behind everything. Unless SAAC is filled with a bunch of Buddhists, excluding me of course.
Old 05-14-2015, 03:45 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
I have attended many events that also had original CSX's there and have almost always been treated well by their owners and without attitude.

The only time I felt out of place or "dismissed" was when I participated at the Dana Point Concourse d'Elegance and the organizers parked me right along side 3 pristine originals out on the golf course.

Hell, I even said "crap! why did you park me here?" , then endured a whole bunch of comments from a couple of the other owners asking why I was in "their" group.

Key word first paragraph is "almost".

Response to original owners..."this group is for all real Shelby's as the organizers didn't want to leave out the older ones"
Old 05-14-2015, 03:50 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKnock View Post
SAAC definitely doesn't want me to audit their books. I can guarantee finding the dead carcuss(es).

You can't be that naive. You're an attorney for heaven's sake. I vaguely remember you surfing CC for business ($1MM retainers) not too long ago.

Money is behind everything. Unless SAAC is filled with a bunch of Buddhists, excluding me of course.
Not naive just operate on facts not supposition.

I didn't know you are a Buddhist. Funny I thought they are non confrontational. Hmmm.