Member of the north
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A Cobra
Not Ranked     

I second that!

Old 10-13-2015, 10:59 AM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby Cobra CSX4206 aluminum body, original 1965 NASCAR 427 SO, Dual quads.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nedsel View Post
Evan, you persist in banging the same tired old drum. In a Cobra, Shelby DNA means nothing absent AC Cars DNA, other than to illustrate that the car must be a recreation. And the argument that anything following job #1 on an assembly line is a copy is hackneyed and trite. Surely you can do better. That your car is a copy is not being debated, but a copy of what? The recreation that preceded it.
Funny, the drum I am banging is the Registry drum published by your club and sold in the hundreds maybe "thousands"???. Your proposition holds true only for the original series Ned. Registry makes that crystal clear. No question my car copies the design and specification of the original series. It would have to to be a "Cobra" now wouldn't it and to continue the production in new series? It's not an original Ned. No debate there. No argument. Not arguing it is. Originals are still the most coveted and revered as they should be and I love the originals as without them and Carroll my second gen Shelby Cobra wouldn't exist. In fact neither would your COX. I am appreciative of that and as with most Continuation owners we revere the original cars and no one is trying to pass of Continuation Cobras as originals or muscle in on their territory. (well except maybe one guy in PA who is an aberration of Continuation owners) But give fair due and respect due that should be given. That respect is backed by the World Registry. That's all. The new Cobras help carry on the interest and love for the original series and make them more available to enthusiasts who can't afford the millions for an original series. I think this helps maintain values as it perpetuates interest in these cars.

Of course the illustration that anything following CSX2000 is a copy is hackneyed and trite. It was tongue and cheek there Ned.

Last edited by REAL 1; 10-13-2015 at 11:17 AM..
Old 10-13-2015, 11:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by trularin View Post
Here the state police came over and did the check in my driveway.
I got my Cobra in the middle of January and called the local Sheriff's station (our town used the Boulder County Sheriff for police). I talked with our chief (who was a BC sergeant) and asked if it was true they would come over for the VIN. He said "Yep, we've seen your car and want to look! I'll be right over! and he was there within 5 minutes. Gave him the nickel tour and he gave me the VIN verification form. I think I had to show him 3 places where the VIN was on the car (plate plus two stamps). Very cool guy. I had to attend most town board meetings as I was Planning Commission chairman and we sat next to each other in the "staff" area.
Old 10-13-2015, 11:39 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by REAL 1 View Post
No question my car copies the design and specification of the original series. It would have to to be a "Cobra" now wouldn't it and to continue the production in new series?
Copy, clone, replica, imitation, reproduction, doesn't matter, but, it's NOT real, genuine or authentic. And WE ALL have Cobras, with a few exceptions like New York Guy.

If you want to use oxymorons like "true replica", "genuine replica", etc. then I'm OK with that. Doesn't make any logical sense, but whatever.
Old 10-13-2015, 12:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Nissan
Not Ranked     
Wink

[quote=RodKnock;1366985]Copy, clone, replica, imitation, reproduction, doesn't matter, but, it's NOT real, genuine or authentic. And WE ALL have Cobras, with a few exceptions like New York Guy. ...QUOTE]

nope I can honestly 100% agree I won't ever own a real Cobra (and that's okay). And i get a chuckle when guys with $100K++ cars let their egos and insecurities ruin a hobby. look up definition of "hobby." buying NOS parts and faking a car title to make it look more real? LOL

how does a cobra replica built in the 2000s value at $92K have a $17 registration fee? LOL

by the way, my family owns a genuine Mona Lisa, painted on the same type of italian wood as the real McCoy at the Louvre. Asking $200K cash or trade for diamonds, watches, or Manhattan property. Serious inquiry, please contact Sotheby's NYC.
Old 10-13-2015, 01:31 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby Cobra CSX4206 aluminum body, original 1965 NASCAR 427 SO, Dual quads.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobjshelbys View Post
I got my Cobra in the middle of January and called the local Sheriff's station (our town used the Boulder County Sheriff for police). I talked with our chief (who was a BC sergeant) and asked if it was true they would come over for the VIN. He said "Yep, we've seen your car and want to look! I'll be right over! and he was there within 5 minutes. Gave him the nickel tour and he gave me the VIN verification form. I think I had to show him 3 places where the VIN was on the car (plate plus two stamps). Very cool guy. I had to attend most town board meetings as I was Planning Commission chairman and we sat next to each other in the "staff" area.
Cool story.
Old 10-13-2015, 03:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Cobra Make, Engine: COX 6111 - '66 "AC 289 Sports."
Not Ranked     

It would be a reasonable bet that everyone on the CC website has their personal preferences with respect to what type, brand, version, and/or build-date is their favorite. And none of us should begrudge anyone else their choices.

It probably should not be surprising that my preference happens to be the original cars that were built in the 60's. They're the ones I know best, as they're the ones I followed in the process of attempting to grow up, and they are the ones that I have studied over the decades. But the fact that these represent the ultimate to me does not mean I lack an appreciation for other cars that are identified as Cobras. Yes, some examples are more faithful to the original design, specs, and personality than others, and anyone who appreciates the brand could easily make up their own list of the ones they like in a descending order of qualities they either possess or lack. But that's not my call nor my purpose.

I appreciate a faithful copy of the original cars as much as the next guy. I do, however, pay particular attention to the manner in which the cars are described. It should not surprise anyone who reads this forum that I am not a subscriber to the popular belief, supported by SEMA and others, that a car should be identified as "the car it most closely resembles." Nope. If you have constructed a replica of a '32 Deuce Coupe, tell us that. Don't say it's a 1932 Ford if literally nothing on the car was built by FoMoCo. And it's the same with Cobras. If you have a perfect alloy-bodied, round-chassis tubed Cobra that was built in 2007, please do not tell us that it is a 1965 Cobra. It is NOT. It is a 2007 clone, copy, recreation, replica or whatever of a 1965 Cobra.

Is this so unreasonable?
750hp likes this.
Old 10-13-2015, 03:26 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
If you have a perfect alloy-bodied, round-chassis tubed Cobra that was built in 2007, please do not tell us that it is a 1965 Cobra. It is NOT. It is a 2007 clone, copy, recreation, replica or whatever of a 1965 Cobra.

Is this so unreasonable?
Well, certainly not unreasonable to me, obviously.

However, to summarize the thesis of Evan, and other modern Shelby Cobra replica owners, because the new entity of Shelby American built their Shelby Cobra, whether in 1965 or 2007, it is indeed a genuine and/or real Shelby Cobra. Evan's license plate is "REAL ONE."

Of course, that's not the case. The modern Shelby Cobra, or 2nd Gen as Evan called it , cannot be genuine, real, authentic or otherwise, since it copies the 1960's original(s).
Old 10-13-2015, 04:16 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
It would be a reasonable bet that everyone on the CC website has their personal preferences with respect to what type, brand, version, and/or build-date is their favorite. And none of us should begrudge anyone else their choices.

It probably should not be surprising that my preference happens to be the original cars that were built in the 60's. They're the ones I know best, as they're the ones I followed in the process of attempting to grow up, and they are the ones that I have studied over the decades. But the fact that these represent the ultimate to me does not mean I lack an appreciation for other cars that are identified as Cobras. Yes, some examples are more faithful to the original design, specs, and personality than others, and anyone who appreciates the brand could easily make up their own list of the ones they like in a descending order of qualities they either possess or lack. But that's not my call nor my purpose.

I appreciate a faithful copy of the original cars as much as the next guy. I do, however, pay particular attention to the manner in which the cars are described. It should not surprise anyone who reads this forum that I am not a subscriber to the popular belief, supported by SEMA and others, that a car should be identified as "the car it most closely resembles." Nope. If you have constructed a replica of a '32 Deuce Coupe, tell us that. Don't say it's a 1932 Ford if literally nothing on the car was built by FoMoCo. And it's the same with Cobras. If you have a perfect alloy-bodied, round-chassis tubed Cobra that was built in 2007, please do not tell us that it is a 1965 Cobra. It is NOT. It is a 2007 clone, copy, recreation, replica or whatever of a 1965 Cobra.

Is this so unreasonable?
No, its not unreasonable. Like you I have an appreciation for the original cars too. I also have an appreciation for the current production Cobras.

Yes, if you have anything other than a 1962 to 1968 Shelby Cobra don't say you have a "196_ Cobra" agreed. Exceptions, 196_ AC Cobras. Ironically, the harshest attackers of the Continuation Series Cobras don't own Shelbys but own cars that are pretend Shelby Cobras many of which at the same time bear license plates like "66COBRA".

However, if you have a current Production Cobra you have a current production "Cobra" from Shelby American. A genuine authentic Cobra based on fact, law and as recognized by the World Registry. Of course, as a continuation of the production it must "replicate" the original in design to continue the production. The current production Cobras are not like a "replica of a '32 Ford which has nothing to do with Ford". The latter cars are in the realm of the ERA's, SPF, FFRs, Back Drafts etc....They according to the Registry are kit cars and "replicas" as that word defined and used by the World Registry as a PC way of saying pretend Cobras.

The Continuation Cobras are in fact a product of Shelby American Inc., a company that according to the World Registry has been in existence since 1968. The current production Cobras stand on their own as genuine authentic Cobras of the second generation of production. (notwithstanding the meaningless comments from the peanut gallery of non Shelby owners). Every current production Cobra is in fact a "Shelby Cobra" which non Shelbys pretend to be. In fact ERA's, Back Drafts, FFRs etc..are not really "Cobras" at all. We just refer to them as Cobras as part of the hobby as they are commonly referred to. I'm ok with that as part of the hobby. Nothing wrong or insulting about that its just the facts. In practice I still refer to such cars as Cobras and enjoy seeing them and talking to their owners. In fact I am friendly with Peter Portante of ERA and many others who own non Shelbys.

To my knowledge SEMA is not the barometer of Cobras and what is and is not an authentic Cobra. The facts, law which the World Registry explains and outlines does.

Owners of current production Cobras can fairly and honestly say they own authentic Cobras of the Continuation series. They in fact are genuine authentic Cobras.

This is not so unreasonable is it? (peanut Sour Grape gallery comments will be ignored, not read or responded to so knock yourselves out )

Last edited by REAL 1; 10-13-2015 at 04:33 PM..
Old 10-13-2015, 04:29 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by REAL 1 View Post
No, its not unreasonable. Like you I have an appreciation for the original cars too. I also have an appreciation for the current production Cobras.

Yes, if you have anything other than a 1962 to 1968 Shelby Cobra don't say you have a "196_ Cobra" agreed. Exceptions, 196_ AC Cobras.

However, if you have a current Production Cobra you have a current production "Cobra" from Shelby American. A genuine authentic Cobra based on fact, law and as recognized by the World Registry. Of course, as a continuation of the production it must "replicate" the original in design to continue the production. The current production Cobras are not like a "replica of a '32 Ford which has nothing to do with Ford". The latter cars are in the realm of the ERA's, SPF, FFRs, Back Drafts etc....They according to the Registry are kit cars and "replicas" as that word defined and used by the World Registry as a PC way of saying pretend Cobras.

The Continuation Cobras are in fact a product of Shelby American Inc., a company that according to the World Registry has been in existence since 1968. The current production Cobras stand on their own as genuine authentic Cobras of the second generation of production. (notwithstanding the meaningless comments from the peanut gallery of non Shelby owners). Every current production Cobra is in fact a "Shelby Cobra" which non Shelbys pretend to be. In fact they are not really "Cobras" at all. We just refer to them as Cobras as part of the hobby and as they are commonly referred to. Nothing wrong or insulting about that its just the facts. In practice I still refer to such cars as Cobras and enjoy seeing them and talking to their owners. In fact I am friendly with Peter Portante of ERA and others who own non Shelbys.

To my knowledge SEMA is not the barometer of Cobras and what is and is not an authentic Cobra. The facts, law which the World Registry explains and outlines does.

Owners of current production Cobras can fairly and honestly say they own authentic Cobras of the Continuation series. They in fact are Cobras.

This is not so unreasonable is it?
If they REPLICATE an original, then they cannot be genuine or authentic. And saying your car is a REAL AUTHENTIC Shelby Cobra is insulting to the owners of the 1960's originals.

The Registry will be updated soon enough, but until then, the Registry does reference the modern Shelby Cobras as Cobra-like and true replicas.

BTW, the company is a public company and traded under the symbol CSBI or Carroll Shelby International.

You writings here remind me of a hamster going round and round on a hamster wheel, but not getting anywhere.

Facts, logic, Registry, Ned, oh, and publicly-traded company.

Signed, Yours Truly,
The Peanut Gallery
Old 10-13-2015, 04:32 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

To reiterate the REAL FACTS:

Quote:
The facts remain as follows: The cars that created the Cobra mystique - the 998 Cobras referred to as genuine, original, and legitimate - were built in the 1960's by the mutual partnership of AC Cars and Shelby American. Everything that followed was a copy in one form or another. Go down the list and name your brand, from Arntz to Butler to Contemporary, etc - they are all facsimiles of the original, and were marketed as such. Some are pretty good copies while some are less so. Regardless, if your Cobra-like automobile wasn't built in the 60's, it is not one of the 998 original cars, hence it must be something else. Such as a replica of one of the original Cobras. It simply can not be anything else, no matter how many different ways you attempt to spin it.
Old 10-13-2015, 05:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Some polish thing... With some old engine
Not Ranked     

Quote:

Is this so unreasonable?
Evidently YES!
Who have thought?
Old 10-13-2015, 06:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2932 with 438 Lykins Motorsports engine. Previous owner of FFR 5452.
Not Ranked     

WISH-IT-WAS-REAL-1, no matter how you try to spin it, you own a replica, kit car, continuation, fakey-doo, (or other wording of your choice) of the original 60's icon. And the only reason people on this forum are climbing all over you is because we feel you are intentionally trying to glom onto the fame and mystique of the 998 originals with your UN-ORIGINAL-1.

We accept what you have, a modern day clone. But it ain't original and never will be in the same league as the originals. Yours is the red-headed-stepchild. You intentionally mislead the unknowing public even while you tell them the truth. We agree you are telling the truth. No argument there. But we find your "truths" to be misleading in order to impress or inflate your status. As you well know, anyone can produce facts to support their claims. Doesn't make it right.
You may think you're a verry clever wordsmith, but we find it intolerable and will continue to call BS on your choice of license plate.
Old 10-13-2015, 06:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold - Shelby Cobra CSX6045, 468 ci all aluminum Shelby engine
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKnock View Post
The Registry will be updated soon enough, but until then, the Registry does reference the modern Shelby Cobras as Cobra-like and true replicas.

Signed, Yours Truly,
The Peanut Gallery
It also references them as genuine. Why do you always leave that part out?
Old 10-13-2015, 07:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: csx4163 full comp alu. body
Not Ranked     

I think most here would like to have a 60's cobra but because of scarcity or cost do what they can to get as close to a original as they can. The paint, with stripes or without, wheels, ford motor, dash, side exhaust or not, some down to the smallest details. why rain one someones parade because they went to more expense or trouble than you did? Or if they only had limited funds or had to do all work for themselves. IMO I like to talk and look at cars that was done by owners, they have a wealth of knowledge to share. Why should I have to apologize for having csx4163? I'm going to get my Bennett car back on road as quick as I can so I will be accepted again. LOL. I guess there is no answer so why get upset. Most original cars have a lexan sign with just the csx number on it by their cars, so I think I will do the same and just tape my mouth shut and stay back 50 feet so I don't upset anyone.
Old 10-13-2015, 10:41 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al G View Post
Excellent question. Here are my reasons:

1. I know the word "authentic" is used once, one time, when referring to the modern CSX replicas, but I can't remember "genuine" specifically being used, but I could be wrong.

2. Evan does a fantastic job of telling everyone that the modern CSX replicas are real genuine Shelby Cobras. But he never mentions the references in the Registry to "true replica" or "Cobra-like." So I feel the other references must be presented from Registry.

3. "Genuine replica" is an oxymoron, similar to the old joke "military intelligence." So, logically I disagree with the word "genuine" being used when referring to the modern CSX replicas, because logically a replica cannot be genuine.

4. Ned Scudder, the one of the leading historians of the genuine Shelby Cobras and the SAAC Cobra Registrar, has said for some time now, not just in this thread (see above), but in a much older thread, that the modern CSX Cobras are replicas. So, the word "genuine" when referring to the modern CSX replicas, is not correct.

5. The next Registry may change the terminology around the modern CSX replicas, since according to Ned, the "sensitivities" between SAAC and SA/CSBI no longer exist as they did back in the mid-2000's when the Registry was being written. Reading between the lines, it sounds to me like the language used for the modern CSX replicas in the Registry was neutered. I believe Ned words were that SAAC couldn't call "a spade a spade."

Last edited by RodKnock; 10-13-2015 at 11:39 PM..
Old 10-14-2015, 12:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #684, 482FE, Mike Mccluskey build
Send a message via Skype™ to fordracing65
Not Ranked     

Whatever we call them, they are all BAD ASS, all of them...every ones cobra on here real or not are awesome and we should all be proud of each other, now lets all hug and start a new thread talking about the same thing...
Old 10-14-2015, 02:48 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Na, keep this one going. It is not only entertaining but could soon enter Super Threat status. And it is only a replica of other threads.

Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordracing65 View Post
Whatever we call them, they are all BAD ASS, all of them...every ones cobra on here real or not are awesome and we should all be proud of each other, now lets all hug and start a new thread talking about the same thing...

View my Miscellaneous Gallery
Old 10-14-2015, 03:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CR Cobra 3169
Not Ranked     

I saw a funny sign on the side of the road selling furniture. ' Antiques made daily'.
JD
Old 10-14-2015, 04:40 AM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al G View Post
Because he must to "win" his point. The Registry discusses and explains the term "replica" as defined by Websters and juxtaposes it's common misused meaning by the common public. It's all explained in the World Registry.

If Leonardo Da Vinci built one of his great inventions or painted the Mona Lisa and years later built and or painted another one just like the first the second would be replicas of the first but genuine authentic Da Vincis. Not hard stuff.

However if FFR, BDR, Unique, ERA, Street Beasts produced, built or painted the item it would be a fake of the Da Vinci.

Kapesh?
A-Snake likes this.

Last edited by REAL 1; 10-14-2015 at 04:43 AM..
Closed Thread