Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree133Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2009, 12:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hurricane Motorsports, Southern Automotive 428 FE
Not Ranked     

took the cobra for it's first shake down yesterday. Mind you this is no more than a five mile jaunt for observation and took no longer than 10 minutes:
- A gaggle of kids and neighbors stop me ask a whole bunch of questions...I ask the little girls in the electric toy jeep if they want to race
- I go out of the neighborhood to another neighbor hood and notice a Mercedes is following me...I get to the dead end and the guy is embarassed and boogies away
- I got 3 head nods when I went to another development
- Two thumbs up on the main road
- Oh...and I scared the sh1t out of a porsche owner that was passing in the opposite direction when I lit up the PIPES!! Damn that BB can roar!

Last edited by khansmith; 11-30-2009 at 12:08 PM..
Old 12-01-2009, 04:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Drove up The Crest this morning for breakfast at Newcomb's Ranch. This road just reopened after the big Station Fire this Summer. Lots of road workers and transportation workers trimming trees, scooping dirt, and generally maintaining the road.
Got LOTS of waves and thumbs-up as I passed the workers and flagmen.

We don't want a bigger government; We want a government that does a few BIG things, and does them right.

If you think that you can cut it, if you think you got the time, they'll only give you one chance, better get it right first time. 'Cause in this game you're playin, if you lose you got to pay. And if you make just ONE wrong move, you'll get BLOWN AWAY!
Old 12-02-2009, 11:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I don't know about you guys, but when I was a kid, I got snubbed lots of times, by car guys. They just kind of brushed us off a lot of the time, when we'd want to see their car.

I don't do that, now. When I get comments or stares from kids, I try and take the time to talk to them, and also thank them for their comments or interest in the car. These are the future guardians of the hobby
Old 12-10-2009, 07:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Gassing the Cobra up coming back from the Gentleman's Club, (on the street-side gas island), I heard a honk from a horn, and two Brinks Armored Car guards were waving and giving me the "thumbs-up" as they drove past the gas station.

We don't want a bigger government; We want a government that does a few BIG things, and does them right.

If you think that you can cut it, if you think you got the time, they'll only give you one chance, better get it right first time. 'Cause in this game you're playin, if you lose you got to pay. And if you make just ONE wrong move, you'll get BLOWN AWAY!
Old 12-10-2009, 08:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharroll Celby View Post
Gassing the Cobra up coming back from the Gentleman's Club, (on the street-side gas island), I heard a honk from a horn, and two Brinks Armored Car guards were waving and giving me the "thumbs-up" as they drove past the gas station.

Well of course. The Bikini Bottom hanging from the mirror was what they were really honking about
Old 12-10-2009, 09:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham - KMP493
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBarchetta View Post
Dang, I had my response ready to go:
"Yeah, I have one of those too. So, you want to run your real car vs. my fake one for pinks, beeotch?!?"

-Dean (daily driver = '02 Z06)
No recognition for my car lately, it's in storage owing to sub freezing high temps and snow.

I just like the word beeotch?!?
Old 12-10-2009, 09:05 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: VSE alum. frame, FFR carbonfiber body (under construction)
Not Ranked     

"I've got a real car. It's a Corvette."
How about......

1) Yeah....they're like arses....everybody's got one. Hell, I owned a Z06 until I decided to trade up!
2) Yeah, I hear ya. This car is UNREAL.
3) Yeah, I can understand being on a budget.
4) Yeah, it's probably going to be a long time before Corvettes become valuable enough for someone to start production of a marketable replica...
Old 12-10-2009, 10:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster
Not Ranked     

I'm in the Cobra at a stop light (red) the other day in the late afternoon , when I hear this feeble engine reving next to me. I casually look over to see a young guy and a girl with a little chiwowow dog between them sitting in some economy POS. I smile and give it a good squirt or two and then I hear cheers from the suv next me on the other side with kids and their Mom and all the windows down. Best thing I could do was get the **** out of there. Love it.

John
Old 12-11-2009, 12:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF_R_/BRG/FRBoss302/327CI/FordEFI/Under_Car_Exh/
Not Ranked     

So get this -- I am cruising on 280 to 85 towards mountain view, zipping up on the onramp a long right hand sweeper, not too fast -- and I come up on the back of a purple-blue late model nissan frontier pickup....

--- and he starts tapping his brakes repeatedly and swerving in front of me in some possessed ralph nader out-of-body-experience to be keeper of the speed ritual, trying to block me and slow me down. -- keep in mind I am not really on it.

So as I close the distance , I pick a nice parabolic sweeper speed course to nicely pass him on his left with a lane between us and light the afterburner rings a bit.

---as I pass him , he full-on flips me off with ---dual flippers (both birds no less.

I thought his especially odd that a member of the purple-truck-safety-patrol would be so un-safe as to flip me off with both digits, whilst he leaves to leave the steering wheel unattended.

So I politely waved as I went by , - and lit another afterburner ring ....

--and left Dr. Nader to search out errant corvairs.

Steve
Steve SPF 2734 MK3 / Brock Coupe #54- panavia.com

Last edited by PANAVIA; 12-11-2009 at 12:34 AM..
Old 12-11-2009, 03:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster, 302, roller cam, Holley 650
Not Ranked     

Cobranip, Thanks for the response. I'll try to remember those comebacks.
I've always had positive comments before as most people who comment are car people. This was the first person that I had run into that went out of their way to prove they are a$$holes. I could have also said that "I have friends who have Corvettes but I hang out with them anyway." I just was caught out. NEVER AGAIN.
Old 12-11-2009, 06:41 AM
Stolen Avitar
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR 1311 428PI
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobjshelbys View Post
Well of course. The Thong Bottom hanging from the mirror was what they were really honking about
There, fixed it for you.

Steve; What a douche bag in the truck.
Old 12-11-2009, 07:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #298 427 FI
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharroll Celby View Post

This story started really strong then faded a bit
Old 12-11-2009, 08:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA #2119
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67FEfastback View Post
I don't know about you guys, but when I was a kid, I got snubbed lots of times, by car guys. They just kind of brushed us off a lot of the time, when we'd want to see their car.

I don't do that, now. When I get comments or stares from kids, I try and take the time to talk to them, and also thank them for their comments or interest in the car. These are the future guardians of the hobby
In my home state, Michigan, the guys with the hot cars were always ready to talk about their cars provided they were not stupid comments, also catching them without their bud's around helped. If you showed couriosity and listened there was no problem. Rides were something else all together. It was because of the knowledge passed on I became a car nut, something I truly want to and enjoy passing on.
Currently I am passing it on to my son in law, he is eagar for the knowledge and never had the opportunity in his earlier years.
Old 12-12-2009, 08:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 6022, navy blue, period correct 427 SO
Not Ranked     

As I was driving back from the local saturday morning Cobra Club grease-up, a women in a Prius pulls up next to me at a light, leans out the window and says, "Wanna trade?". I laughed and said, but I need you to provide me with carbon offsets.......she laughed and said, that is a beautiful car. Who would have guessed this from a Prius owner!

www.partskeeper.com
(Less time searching, more time wrenching & driving)
Old 12-12-2009, 10:01 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcdoug View Post
As I was driving back from the local saturday morning Cobra Club grease-up, a women in a Prius pulls up next to me at a light, leans out the window and says, "Wanna trade?". I laughed and said, but I need you to provide me with carbon offsets.......she laughed and said, that is a beautiful car. Who would have guessed this from a Prius owner!
Doug, I thought of you when I was walking out to get the Post this morning. It was 23 degrees. I guess your car started up ok.
Old 12-12-2009, 10:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster
Not Ranked     

Saved by the mini van...getting on the freeway last weekend to meet up with the Cobra caravan I approach the onramp and to my delight there is nobody in front of me. This particular on ramp is a long uphill 360 degree bender which I must admit is a lot of fun at speed. As I approach the turn (following the rule: approach like a gentleman and exit like a beast) with a nice smooth downshift into 2nd I begin my assault on the road where I can now see just ahead getting onto the freeway lanes is this dammm mini van (slowly for me normal for her) so I have to back off at the last minute. There as I merge into lanes is the CHP who would have been just behind me while I was hitting 3rd hard but instead I was coasting along in 2nd. Those lucky pennies I keep picking up seem to be working. lol.

John
Old 12-12-2009, 12:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2168, 418, TKO 600
Not Ranked     

Cover of Alice's Restaurant 2010 Calendar
http://www.alicesrestaurant.com/index-6.html
Old 12-12-2009, 01:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 6022, navy blue, period correct 427 SO
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
Doug, I thought of you when I was walking out to get the Post this morning. It was 23 degrees. I guess your car started up ok.
Started fine. The choke helps for the initial firing of the engine, but it idles better with the choke off (which seems strange to me - why is this?) Although I nearly asphyxiated myself letting it warm up a bit more than usual in my 1 car garage......ended up pulling it out so the neighbors could enjoy the sound of my engine at 6:45am.

www.partskeeper.com
(Less time searching, more time wrenching & driving)
Old 12-12-2009, 05:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1964 FIA 289 Cobra made by Almac in NZ
Send a message via Skype™ to nzcsx2323
Not Ranked     

I was in a local Boat parts store this weekend, and the FIA could be seen from the counter, the young lady that served me must have seen me get out of the car, as when she served me at the counter she said, "That's a manly looking convertable!, not like some that I see men drive" I had to laugh then said yes it is a real blokes car!!, I am very sure she did not have a clue to what it was, but it looked manly.
Old 12-15-2009, 07:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I like to drive by people sitting at bus stops, then look in the mirror to see if they are looking at the car which they, inevitably, ARE looking at the car.