Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 2.83 average. Display Modes
Old 06-03-2012, 04:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison, 6.0L Chev
Not Ranked     

Jeff, it's definitely 850 down here in Vic. I have it in writing from my engineer.
Old 06-04-2012, 04:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCM, Jag front and rear, LS3
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bod View Post
Sambo
Is the height rule 850m or 800 as in 5.5.2. I hope your wrong as my seats have just been completed to 800
Jeff
It's both... The measure is 800, but it's not from the base of the seat. It is from a point on a sphere that simulates a hip. This comes out around 850 or thre abouts.

Suthol (Dave) on here just got his car through with compliant seats. I think they were white pointer. If they fit a clubby they should fit a cobra.
Old 06-04-2012, 04:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

My Arrow seats were queried by the RMS as the paperwork was for ADR 3-02 but my engineer pointed out that they did comply becasue the tests are unchanged only the height and gap and the seats met that requirement and thus complied.

This was accepted
Old 06-05-2012, 04:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by suthol View Post
My Arrow seats were queried by the RMS as the paperwork was for ADR 3-02 but my engineer pointed out that they did comply becasue the tests are unchanged only the height and gap and the seats met that requirement and thus complied.

This was accepted
Was there any resistance to accept this? I thought they might argue the change in moment on the seat hinge/mechanism. The reality is that its negligable, but who knows. They accepted Barrys with padding in the top of the seats.

It shouldnt really be a big drama, given that the extra 50mm is above the majority of peoples heads anyway.
Old 06-05-2012, 05:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zedn View Post
Was there any resistance to accept this? I thought they might argue the change in moment on the seat hinge/mechanism. The reality is that its negligable, but who knows. They accepted Barrys with padding in the top of the seats.

It shouldnt really be a big drama, given that the extra 50mm is above the majority of peoples heads anyway.
G'day Liam,

There was no resistance at all, from my limited understanding the location of the test forces isn't changed between the two versions so the height of the seat back becomes irrelevant.

This really is one for Treeve to provide expert commentary on.
Old 06-12-2012, 08:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

You'll find some engineers may be lenient if you started the engineering process prior to ADR 3/03 taking effect (July 2011?). I know this is true in at least one case.

I just got off the phone to the guys selling these cheap alternatives.

SAAS Black Mach II Fixed Back Race Car Seat ADR Approved - Motorsport Essentials Pty Ltd

The paperwork is for ADR 3/02 and after I explained the current situation he contacted the supplier to see whether they are or can be certified for ADR 3/03 and he said he'll get back to me.

For the above SAAS seats, the all important height measurement is 840mm with a 30mm cushion that is velcro'd into place. 510 wide at the base and 550 wide at the shoulder - this could be a problem for most of our kits. I'll measure mine when I get home.

Edit: absolute max width of seat base in the Harrison is 450, maybe less depending on whether seat belt mounts are in the way. How about the other kits?

Last edited by sambo; 06-18-2012 at 06:11 AM..
Old 06-13-2012, 05:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival #3199. 366ci L76, T56 6 speed, Blue circle custom paint, Australias most original cobra 2009-2010
Not Ranked     

Sambo - might have more luck with the Autotechnica A999M3 (Still on 3/02, but may meet height requirements)

AutotecnicA.com.au » Seats, Race Seat, Monza Seat, Racing Seat

Seems a bit taller than the saas?

It has been proven the ssp67 fits into a classic revival (just). Base for it is listed at 55cm. The A999M3 at 50cm.
Old 06-13-2012, 03:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison # 80; Ford 5.0L HO Trickflow heads, cam and rockers and MassFlow EFI
Send a message via Skype™ to Merv and Sharon
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by sambo View Post
I'm also looking into seats as one of the last hurdles to pass engineering. I just spoke to Tony at Classic and Sports Auto Interiors here in Melbourne. He does a traditional looking Cobra seat in leather for $2200 including rails. Options for adjustable lumbar (gas pump up) and seat warmers with two heat settings. I'm hoping to check them out tomorrow.

Enkelman's apparently allow these through with an extension on the headrest mounts in order to meet the 850mm rule.

Classic & Sports Auto Interiors | Interiors | Elfin Sports Cars, Austin Healey & more | Eltham

It is such a pity that you can't use seats like these (is that the case?), that actually look like they belong in a Cobra and not ones that only look right in a track day car.
justcobra likes this.

Ford Cobra
Harrison #80.
Peregian Beach
Sunshine Coast Qld.
Old 06-13-2012, 05:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Merv, the manufacturer of those seats will soon learn the Vic engineers won't accept his seats until they officially meet ADR 3/03. It can't be that hard to make the seats frames 50mm higher and retest. Not sure how prohibitive the cost is though?

Tenrocca, those Autotechnica seats may be the required height but we need the ADR 3/03 certification regardless. ADR 3/02 is as good as home made in the eyes of an engineer.

Funny thing is, the governing body gives 3 years notice of ADR changes - clearly we missed the boat on this one.
Old 06-14-2012, 03:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival CR3516, LS3, Aussie Mike'd T-56, 3.70 LSD, AP brakes, Penske shocks
Not Ranked     

Paul did you visit Eltham? No 3/03 approval paperwork?
Old 06-14-2012, 05:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival #3199. 366ci L76, T56 6 speed, Blue circle custom paint, Australias most original cobra 2009-2010
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Tenrocca, those Autotechnica seats may be the required height but we need the ADR 3/03 certification regardless. ADR 3/02 is as good as home made in the eyes of an engineer.
Didnt you not read Suthol's previous post? He was able to get 3/02 seats through provided they me the height requirement (in NSW at least). In the eyes of his engineer I would suggest they are significantly better than home made seeing he now has rego. . A precedent possibly has been set in NSW at least. Might be worth persuing (and I will be) as I see no officially 3/03 certified seats of any size, shape or price that actually fit. Up to page 4 of this thread and no one has been able to say - "go here, buy this model, they fit and are approved to 3/03". Unless I have missed something? Its the one thing with rego that has me stumped at the moment.
Old 06-14-2012, 03:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Absolute Pace
Not Ranked     
Default Testing

Seams to be a few of us in this situation.

If we pool our resorces could we get the seat Andrew is talking about tested to 3/03.

Phil
Old 06-14-2012, 06:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Phil, those Autotechnica seats are about 100mm too wide at the base for a Harrison. The only ones I could find that were narrow enough were about $600 ea.
Old 06-15-2012, 03:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival CR3516, LS3, Aussie Mike'd T-56, 3.70 LSD, AP brakes, Penske shocks
Not Ranked     

dont forget like most ADR's this one says "or equivalant testing", which means Euro/international seats that comply with the UN standards our ADR is based on, will also be acceptable.
Old 06-15-2012, 09:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Guys, don't forget Barry's seats were accepted also just with padded head rests. You could always just get a 50mm bit of foam added to the top of the head rest before trimming.

Is there no late model mx5 seats after 2008 that comply and also fit?
Old 06-15-2012, 09:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Current shape MX5 do not fit in a Classic Revival, along with about 20 other small and sports cars that I have checked.
Old 06-17-2012, 04:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: have brakes, diff, gearbox, steering rack, gear stick, door locks, CR chassis 3518
Not Ranked     

I used to have some dimensions somewhere of the seats out of the current mitsubishi colt. I think those sizes did get close, the ones i measured were the ralliart recaro version though.
Old 06-17-2012, 04:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Wish I had my own PACE 427
Not Ranked     

Quote:
The all important height measurement is 840mm with a 30mm cushion that is velcro'd into place. 510 wide at the base and 550 wide at the shoulder
Haven't seen the height measured that way, but it should work out about right. If you have more padding, they must take that into account. Problem with seat height is that we are using quick and dirty methods to quickly measure height with tape measure, something that approximates the height calculation in the ADR.

But am I not following something here, where did these 510mm & 550mm measurements come from, your engineer. These are not ADR requirements and ADR 3/03 certified seats can be narrower than that.
Old 06-17-2012, 04:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Craig, I think Sambo was just stating what fit in his harrison (width wise). nothing to do with ADR.

Do you guys have an approved seat?

Cheers
Old 06-17-2012, 04:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: HARRISON, FORD 302, SOLD
Not Ranked     

Honda Beat seats fit nice and snug into a Harrison........no idea about their ADR status though.

Maybe a bit hard to find