Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 2.83 average. Display Modes
Old 06-18-2012, 01:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Wish I had my own PACE 427
Not Ranked     

The smallest production seats I have seen have been in the little Euro cars. Tend to be smaller than the jap seats these days. Only problem is they will be harder to obtain 2nd hand than jap seats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenrocca View Post
Craig, I think Sambo was just stating what fit in his harrison (width wise). nothing to do with ADR.
Cheers, Tenrocca. Yeah, just re-read it, maybe it was the size measurements on that SAAS seat he was talking about. I did seem strange.
Old 06-18-2012, 06:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison, 6.0L Chev
Not Ranked     

Yes fellas, I was referring to the SAAS seats. Just updated my post to make it clear.
Old 06-19-2012, 02:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison # 80; Ford 5.0L HO Trickflow heads, cam and rockers and MassFlow EFI
Send a message via Skype™ to Merv and Sharon
Not Ranked     

Are none of the current Cobra kit suppliers making seat frames that can comply any more?

Ford Cobra
Harrison #80.
Peregian Beach
Sunshine Coast Qld.
Old 06-19-2012, 03:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Merv, we already have ADR 3/03 complied GT40 seats etc.

Now working on compliant Cobra seats, but could be a reasonable time frame to availability as we just fit the work in when I have spare resources.

Seats we plan to offer:

* Authentic style steel tube frame with trampoline base.
* Authentic style fibreglass shell.
* Sports/Race modern style seat - lightweight (if we can't source one)

With or without compliant seat sliders.

The seats are customised to suit our kits and they do not use original dimensions. They have been scaled up, but still have the appearance of original seats. So may not suit other Cobra replicas as well.

From memory the seat base dimension we are working with is 500mm wide.
Old 06-19-2012, 04:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison # 80; Ford 5.0L HO Trickflow heads, cam and rockers and MassFlow EFI
Send a message via Skype™ to Merv and Sharon
Not Ranked     

Thanks Craig. I thought that you would be. I wonder that the other suppliers of kits do? From this thread, the builder is supposed to source their own seats. When I was building in 2008-9, I wanted an authentic looking seat and I just used the Harrison pre-approved frame and that was it! Nice seats too. However, they are no longer compliant I gather for new builds. I was thinking that there would be updates on those. Maybe there are.

If I was building now, and Warwick was fantastic to work with and has a great car, it would probably be the new Cobra you are establishing. It seems so well designed and is up there with the best US "kits" and builds.

Ford Cobra
Harrison #80.
Peregian Beach
Sunshine Coast Qld.
Old 06-19-2012, 06:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Merv, I expect most suppliers will update their seat designs to be compliant.

Yes, I am certainly going all out to produce what I consider is a world competitive product. I believe we have the design and body shape that will get us there. I can't wait to show off the body shape, it is gorgeous.

Now we are working hard on the manufacturing approach and costs. We are taking a different approach to what has been done here before.

It is a different product to a Harrison etc. There is no point in producing the same product as Warwick etc. That would do more harm than good in the industry. It's all about a different product to appeal to a different market. Variety and choice will be the clear choice for people wanting to build a Cobra as we have two totally different Cobra products to offer.

More news to come soon.
Old 08-16-2012, 11:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Replica Motor Company
Not Ranked     

Hi Guys.
All the good oil is on the www.comlaw.gov.au.
My interpretation the law is that the minimum height is 800mm.
If the DAX seat with headrests meets the European Standard then the seat should pass our ADR as it is a co signatory to the legislation.
Therefore start importing !
Old 08-17-2012, 02:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCM, Jag front and rear, LS3
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by justcobra View Post
Hi Guys.
All the good oil is on the Comlaw Home.
My interpretation the law is that the minimum height is 800mm.
If the DAX seat with headrests meets the European Standard then the seat should pass our ADR as it is a co signatory to the legislation.
Therefore start importing !
Unfortunately the 800 is not from the base of the seat. It is from a reference point on a sphere that is placed on the base of the seat to simulate a hip. This makes the height approximately 850-860 from the base of the seat.
Old 08-17-2012, 04:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Zedn, it is problematic. Yes, you require a JIG to perform the ADR measurement, so in my experience engineers have just come up with a shortcut method to check the height with a tape measure.

The approved JIG we use to spec our seat heights is something along the lines of a weighted steel frame test dummy looking contraption.

Best advice just purchase a seat that is known to comply with ADR 3/03 or equivalent regulation. But finding one that fits a Cobra is the challenge.

One of our new prototype ADR 3/03 tested Cobra Seats measures 780mm from the top of seat base to the top of the headrest.

In my experience there are production seats that have been tested to ADR 3/03 that do not meet the 850-860mm measurement when using tape measure. But I have also measured seats that are 900mm+. In my experience the shorter seats have adjustable headrests, the taller seats have fixed headrests. Manufacturers are not always just concerned about regulations, but ensuring the headrest can provide adequate performance for the tallest of drivers.
Old 08-17-2012, 05:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CR Cobra 3169
Not Ranked     

Is it a requirement to have seat sliders? If not, and the seat is bolted in a permanent position, could you fit a headrest on the roll bar? I've tried mgb seats, no good. But I measure a MX5 2000 model, and the base is less then 500mm.
JD
Old 08-17-2012, 06:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

No idea about SA but I got through in May under the old scheme in NSW with fixed seats.

Ultimately it is up to what your engineer tells you will pass locally
Old 08-17-2012, 06:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Regardless, you need proof that they've been tested and approved according to the current ADR - regardless of any measurement they appear to meet. That little piece of paper is all that matters at the end of the day.
Old 08-17-2012, 05:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Sambo, yes exactly it all comes down to the certification paperwork. If it is an aftermarket seat, do not just assume an ADR 3/03 label will be suitable, you may need a copy of the test report. For production seats, you may need to prove which vehicle they have come from.

We have seen a lot of manufacturers that have parts labelled as compliant, even with compliance marks moulded into or attched to the product, yet they are unable to provide the required paperwork to back it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydee View Post
Is it a requirement to have seat sliders? If not, and the seat is bolted in a permanent position, could you fit a headrest on the roll bar? I've tried mgb seats, no good. But I measure a MX5 2000 model, and the base is less then 500mm.
JD
JD, you could bulkhead secure the seats. Check with your engineer on the requirements, but if the seats are fixed and structurally mounted to the rear bulkhead you do not require any certification for the seats. They still need to meet the height requirements though.

Not sure how well that would work or look in a Cobra, but pretty common practice in GT40's.

Last edited by 400TT; 08-17-2012 at 05:41 PM..
Old 08-17-2012, 07:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Kenmer seats

Kenmer Cobra seats on the test rig. These should be ADR 3/03 certified in the next few months.

Old 08-18-2012, 12:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CR Cobra 3169
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Kenmer Cobra seats on the test rig. These should be ADR 3/03 certified in the next few months.
Nice. Can the headrest be removed? I'm still battling with the choice of safety high seats or what looks right.
JD
Old 08-18-2012, 02:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCM, Jag front and rear, LS3
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 400TT View Post
Zedn, it is problematic. Yes, you require a JIG to perform the ADR measurement, so in my experience engineers have just come up with a shortcut method to check the height with a tape measure.

The approved JIG we use to spec our seat heights is something along the lines of a weighted steel frame test dummy looking contraption.

Best advice just purchase a seat that is known to comply with ADR 3/03 or equivalent regulation. But finding one that fits a Cobra is the challenge.

One of our new prototype ADR 3/03 tested Cobra Seats measures 780mm from the top of seat base to the top of the headrest.

In my experience there are production seats that have been tested to ADR 3/03 that do not meet the 850-860mm measurement when using tape measure. But I have also measured seats that are 900mm+. In my experience the shorter seats have adjustable headrests, the taller seats have fixed headrests. Manufacturers are not always just concerned about regulations, but ensuring the headr est can provide adequate performance for the tallest of drivers.
Hi Craig,

Can you explain this further? I dont see how it is possible for the seat to measure 780. Is this to do with the way the lines are projected? I have seen a simplified method in one of the vsb's with a sphere placed against the seat. I think it was one of the VSB5's.

Interested to hear more about this.

Liam
Old 08-18-2012, 03:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Liam, the JIG replicates a person sitting in the seat, so the sphere you are talking about sinks into the base of the seat. The seat we are testing has a sprung base, so you would sink more so than you would on just a foamed seat base.
Old 08-18-2012, 05:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydee View Post
Nice. Can the headrest be removed? I'm still battling with the choice of safety high seats or what looks right.
JD
JD, yes the head rests are height adjustable and can be removed.
Old 08-24-2012, 03:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Very interesting and I hope it comes into production soon meeting the our ADR 3-03 Rule whether it is 800 or 850 mm requirement.
I would be interested in the cost in the Kenmer Seat.

Last edited by justcobra; 08-24-2012 at 03:06 PM..
Old 08-25-2012, 02:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Perusing the ebay motor section there is a Superperformance Ac Cobra with traditional seats and the question before this community is how this car got registered.
The date of manufacture is 01/2007 and the registration number is VHL94L and the Cobra has a RRP of $124990.
In my book this cobra should had failed the registration/ADR requirement.
The ADR3-03 came into effect 2006 -23/01/2007 and pounds to peanuts all Superpermance Cobras have the traditional seats.
This Federal Law seems to be farcical just like the importation of so called modified cars into the country.