Club Cobra Keith Craft Racing  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

  •  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Planet Cobra
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Planet Cobra
Keith Craft Racing
November 2018
S M T W T F S
        1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30  

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree6Likes

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21 (permalink)  
Old 10-25-2018, 07:02 AM
patrickt's Avatar
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Posts: 19,232
Not Ranked     
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by davids2toys View Post
OK, I will do one thing at a time. I set the meter to Ohms (auto), and measured across the pickup coming from the dist, those are the wires you are suggesting right? My reading is erratic and keeps rising. In mega-ohms it start around .710 and just keeps going up the longer I keep the probes on the wire metal ends. I stopped testing it at 1.022. On line conversion of .710 mega-ohms is 710000 ohms. Does this big number real mean 710 ohms? I told you electricity is not my strong suite
OK, I think you said you had purchased a new magnetic pickup some time ago. Take that one out of the package and practice measuring the resistance across its leads. We want to see 500 to 700 ohms, just like what you see in the picture on this page. https://www.holley.com/support/troub...ng_techniques/ Then, after you've mastered measuring the resistance across the new one, tackle the old one and compare the results.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
  #22 (permalink)  
Old 10-25-2018, 07:14 AM
patrickt's Avatar
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Posts: 19,232
Not Ranked     
Default

This is the picture I'm talking about from the "Magnetic Pickup in the Distributor" tab on that page. This one is showing 590 ohms. That's good.

Reply With Quote
  #23 (permalink)  
Old 10-25-2018, 08:45 AM
davids2toys's Avatar
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Southbury, ct
Cobra Make, Engine: ERA, 428, 4 speed Toploader, Jag rear, Red with White stripes
Posts: 837
Not Ranked     
Default

Just did it on the new one. It is super easy because it is not in the clip. It reads just like yours and a very steady reading. Did it again on the old one with the same climbing reading result. Can i take these wires out of the clip maybe?
I remember a few years ago it would not start and it turned out the pigtail had come apart. I pushed it back together and never had a problem since. Should this pig tail lock together, or is it supposed to separate fairly easy?
__________________
ERA#698 428, 4 speed Toploader, 3:31 Jag rear

Last edited by davids2toys; 10-25-2018 at 08:56 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #24 (permalink)  
Old 10-25-2018, 08:49 AM
patrickt's Avatar
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Posts: 19,232
Not Ranked     
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by davids2toys View Post
Just did it on the new one. It is super easy because it is not in the clip. It reads just like yours and a very steady reading. Did it again on the old one with the same climbing reading result. Can i take these wires out of the clip maybe?
Sure, I think you're honing in on a faulty magnetic pickup. But, just because it's in the protocol, crank the engine with the cap off and observe the rotor spinning. While it's unlikely, you want to eliminate the possibility that you sheared your pin off.
Reply With Quote
  #25 (permalink)  
Old 10-25-2018, 09:35 AM
davids2toys's Avatar
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Southbury, ct
Cobra Make, Engine: ERA, 428, 4 speed Toploader, Jag rear, Red with White stripes
Posts: 837
Not Ranked     
Default

Sure what? I can get the wires out of the pigtail? I cant figure out how to get them out.If the pickup was faulty, would I get the climbing reading?

Just checked rotor rotation, perfect.

What about that spark at the coil wire question.

Also, what do you like for electrical contact cleaner? I am thinking of spraying every connector I can find on the car including this pigtail and then applying dielectric grease
__________________
ERA#698 428, 4 speed Toploader, 3:31 Jag rear
Reply With Quote
  #26 (permalink)  
Old 10-25-2018, 09:44 AM
patrickt's Avatar
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Posts: 19,232
Not Ranked     
Default

I have had faulty "locking pigtail components" before from ERA, so I wouldn't want to bet a lot that somehow it wasn't causing part of the problem. If it was me, I would just cut the two wires that are coming off the magnetic pickup, strip them back, and measure the resistance. If the resistance is back up to normal, I would leave it in there. If the resistance is bad, then I would replace it with the new one, and hard wire/solder/shrinkwrap the connection and not worry about it again until you pull the engine. For electrical cleaner, I use whatever spray cleaner I happen to have, 409, Windex, Mr. Clean, etc., then I rub the ends with a little 400 grit sandpaper, then a light wipe of dielectric grease. I use dielectric grease on anything that conducts electricity and have so for almost 50 years. Electrical connections, plug wires, distributor terminals, the rotor tip, everything.
Reply With Quote
  #27 (permalink)  
Old 10-25-2018, 09:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Cobra Make, Engine: SPF GT40
Posts: 204
Not Ranked     
Default

Maybe I'm missing something, but how old is your gas? You mention not running the car in almost a year?
Reply With Quote
  #28 (permalink)  
Old 10-25-2018, 10:31 AM
davids2toys's Avatar
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Southbury, ct
Cobra Make, Engine: ERA, 428, 4 speed Toploader, Jag rear, Red with White stripes
Posts: 837
Not Ranked     
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
I have had faulty "locking pigtail components" before from ERA, so I wouldn't want to bet a lot that somehow it wasn't causing part of the problem. If it was me, I would just cut the two wires that are coming off the magnetic pickup, strip them back, and measure the resistance. If the resistance is back up to normal, I would leave it in there. If the resistance is bad, then I would replace it with the new one, and hard wire/solder/shrinkwrap the connection and not worry about it again until you pull the engine. For electrical cleaner, I use whatever spray cleaner I happen to have, 409, Windex, Mr. Clean, etc., then I rub the ends with a little 400 grit sandpaper, then a light wipe of dielectric grease. I use dielectric grease on anything that conducts electricity and have so for almost 50 years. Electrical connections, plug wires, distributor terminals, the rotor tip, everything.
That is an option, but I would rather not be cutting the wires. If I do, it tests good, and I leave the pick up in there, I could just rejoin the wires with one of those twist caps right?

Pat, what about that spark at the coil wire question I had from before? With the key on, everything hooked back up, using a remote starter, should spark be coming out of the coil wire that is still hooked up to the spark tester?

Totally with you on Dielectric grease, I use it on everything too!
__________________
ERA#698 428, 4 speed Toploader, 3:31 Jag rear
Reply With Quote
  #29 (permalink)  
Old 10-25-2018, 10:36 AM
patrickt's Avatar
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Posts: 19,232
Not Ranked     
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by davids2toys View Post
That is an option, but I would rather not be cutting the wires. If I do, it tests good, and I leave the pick up in there, I could just rejoin the wires with one of those twist caps right?

Pat, what about that spark at the coil wire question I had from before? With the key on, everything hooked back up, using a remote starter, should spark be coming out of the coil wire that is still hooked up to the spark tester?

Totally with you on Dielectric grease, I use it on everything too!
Yes, you can just use twist caps to put the wires back together. That's no big deal. If all is working properly, and the cap and rotor are installed, when you disconnect your coil wire, and then place the end a half inch away from the block, or use a spark tester, and then crank the engine you should see multiple sparks flying out as you crank. If the magnetic pickup is bad, or if you have sheared your pin, you will not see those sparks when you crank but you will still pass the "paper clip" test that bypasses the magnetic pickup. The paper clip test basically tests everything except the magnetic pickup.
Reply With Quote
  #30 (permalink)  
Old 10-25-2018, 10:42 AM
davids2toys's Avatar
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Southbury, ct
Cobra Make, Engine: ERA, 428, 4 speed Toploader, Jag rear, Red with White stripes
Posts: 837
Not Ranked     
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwiftDB4 View Post
Maybe I'm missing something, but how old is your gas? You mention not running the car in almost a year?
You are missing something, I have NO spark!

My gas is perfect and it was running fine for 3 recent outings on that 1 year old, 93 octane, gas with star-tron and marvel in it. Star-tron is good for 2 years if used in fresh 93 octane gas. I love that product and it is made especially for Ethanol gas
__________________
ERA#698 428, 4 speed Toploader, 3:31 Jag rear
Reply With Quote
  #31 (permalink)  
Old 10-25-2018, 10:46 AM
davids2toys's Avatar
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Southbury, ct
Cobra Make, Engine: ERA, 428, 4 speed Toploader, Jag rear, Red with White stripes
Posts: 837
Not Ranked     
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
Yes, you can just use twist caps to put the wires back together. That's no big deal. If all is working properly, and the cap and rotor are installed, when you disconnect your coil wire, and then place the end a half inch away from the block, or use a spark tester, and then crank the engine you should see multiple sparks flying out as you crank. If the magnetic pickup is bad, or if you have sheared your pin, you will not see those sparks when you crank but you will still pass the "paper clip" test that bypasses the magnetic pickup. The paper clip test basically tests everything except the magnetic pickup.
Great info, thanks.
I would think the cap doesn't even need to be installed to do this correct?
__________________
ERA#698 428, 4 speed Toploader, 3:31 Jag rear

Last edited by davids2toys; 10-25-2018 at 10:50 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #32 (permalink)  
Old 10-25-2018, 11:08 AM
patrickt's Avatar
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Posts: 19,232
Not Ranked     
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by davids2toys View Post
Great info, thanks.
I would think the cap doesn't even need to be installed to do this correct?
Absolutely correct. To just observe the output from the coil, you do not need to have the cap or rotor installed.
Reply With Quote
  #33 (permalink)  
Old 10-25-2018, 11:16 AM
davids2toys's Avatar
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Southbury, ct
Cobra Make, Engine: ERA, 428, 4 speed Toploader, Jag rear, Red with White stripes
Posts: 837
Not Ranked     
Default

Perfect, thanks.
Hopefully will get out there one more time before I leave on Saturday, got a million things to do though! Heading out the door right now for PT. I will have my computer with me on vacation also so I can review things and see the forum also.
Do you have any insight about my water temp gage?
__________________
ERA#698 428, 4 speed Toploader, 3:31 Jag rear
Reply With Quote
  #34 (permalink)  
Old 10-25-2018, 11:20 AM
patrickt's Avatar
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Posts: 19,232
Not Ranked     
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by davids2toys View Post
Do you have any insight about my water temp gage?
Uhhh, you mean other than if you had posted here first about your no spark condition, before taking a sledge hammer to your ignition switch, then you wouldn't have any problem with it all? You're going to have to remove the gauge and send it off to Nisonger for a replacement.
Reply With Quote
  #35 (permalink)  
Old 10-25-2018, 05:15 PM
davids2toys's Avatar
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Southbury, ct
Cobra Make, Engine: ERA, 428, 4 speed Toploader, Jag rear, Red with White stripes
Posts: 837
Not Ranked     
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
Uhhh, you mean other than if you had posted here first about your no spark condition, before taking a sledge hammer to your ignition switch, then you wouldn't have any problem with it all? You're going to have to remove the gauge and send it off to Nisonger for a replacement.
I should post a pic of what you are calling a "sledgehammer"...LOL. It really was the equivalent of going over a bumpy road, why would the needle fall out?
What is Nisonger?
__________________
ERA#698 428, 4 speed Toploader, 3:31 Jag rear
Reply With Quote
  #36 (permalink)  
Old 10-25-2018, 05:23 PM
patrickt's Avatar
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Posts: 19,232
Not Ranked     
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by davids2toys View Post
I should post a pic of what you are calling a "sledgehammer"...LOL. It really was the equivalent of going over a bumpy road, why would the needle fall out?
What is Nisonger?
If you have Smiths gauges, that's one of the two or three "go to" places to get them fixed or replaced. I have used them and the owner is an old school Cobra guy from way, way back. Click here to browse the site: Nisonger Instruments :: the exclusive Smiths U.S. Warranty & Service Center since 1949
Reply With Quote
  #37 (permalink)  
Old 10-25-2018, 05:25 PM
patrickt's Avatar
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Posts: 19,232
Not Ranked     
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by davids2toys View Post
why would the needle fall out?
because it was just sew-sew.
Reply With Quote
  #38 (permalink)  
Old 10-25-2018, 06:33 PM
davids2toys's Avatar
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Southbury, ct
Cobra Make, Engine: ERA, 428, 4 speed Toploader, Jag rear, Red with White stripes
Posts: 837
Not Ranked     
Default

Pretty cool site. I have Auto-meter Cobra gauges. I will probably just get a new one for a measly 120.00...just pisses me off. Going under the dash will not be so much fun either
__________________
ERA#698 428, 4 speed Toploader, 3:31 Jag rear
Reply With Quote
  #39 (permalink)  
Old 10-25-2018, 06:35 PM
davids2toys's Avatar
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Southbury, ct
Cobra Make, Engine: ERA, 428, 4 speed Toploader, Jag rear, Red with White stripes
Posts: 837
Not Ranked     
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
because it was just sew-sew.
I hate sew sew! Kinda sounds like Murphy's law to me
__________________
ERA#698 428, 4 speed Toploader, 3:31 Jag rear
Reply With Quote
  #40 (permalink)  
Old 10-25-2018, 06:39 PM
patrickt's Avatar
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Posts: 19,232
Not Ranked     
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by davids2toys View Post
Pretty cool site. I have Auto-meter Cobra gauges. I will probably just get a new one for a measly 120.00...just pisses me off. Going under the dash will not be so much fun either
If they are electric, then you can probably do the replacement by feel by just reaching up under the dash. It's in a very easy to get to place, all considered. Now, if they are mechanical, then you'll have to fish the tube through the grommet and put it up and over and in to the manifold. That's a little bit harder.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:27 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
The representations expressed are the representations and opinions of the clubcobra.com forum members and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and viewpoints of the site owners, moderators, Shelby American, any other replica manufacturer, Ford Motor Company. This website has been planned and developed by clubcobra.com and its forum members and should not be construed as being endorsed by Ford Motor Company, or Shelby American or any other manufacturer unless expressly noted by that entity. "Cobra" and the Cobra logo are registered trademarks for Ford Motor Co., Inc. clubcobra.com forum members agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyrighted material is owned by you. Although we do not and cannot review the messages posted and are not responsible for the content of any of these messages, we reserve the right to delete any message for any reason whatsoever. You remain solely responsible for the content of your messages, and you agree to indemnify and hold us harmless with respect to any claim based upon transmission of your message(s). Thank you for visiting clubcobra.com. For full policy documentation refer to the following link: CC Policy
Links monetized by VigLink