Club Cobra GasN Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2011, 10:35 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA 'Street' Build
Not Ranked     

Thanks guys

The whole family really likes the car ... (especially me, imagine that) and yes to be honest, I have spent some 'extra' time in the garage ... it's fun to just look at it.

Picked up the motor today from Tom at FE Specialties, brought it home along with a few more boxes of parts. Next step will be to make sure I have all the parts I need and set up a time with the boys to drop in the motor and trans.

My guess is the motor and trans will very likely go in pretty easily, hooking everything else up will probably take a bit more time ... looking forward to it !
Old 05-11-2011, 11:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AP 289FIA 'English' spec.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkb289 View Post
Thanks guys

The whole family really likes the car ... (especially me, imagine that) and yes to be honest, I have spent some 'extra' time in the garage ... it's fun to just look at it.

Picked up the motor today from Tom at FE Specialties, brought it home along with a few more boxes of parts. Next step will be to make sure I have all the parts I need and set up a time with the boys to drop in the motor and trans.

My guess is the motor and trans will very likely go in pretty easily, hooking everything else up will probably take a bit more time ... looking forward to it !
All ears/eyes are on this space, Tim!
Wolf's build aside, there's not much a-happening specific to ERAs on ClubCobra at the moment - unless you count in a bit of excitement about tee-shirts - so, you have our full attention.
Cheers,
Glen
Old 05-12-2011, 01:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427SC 383 stroker
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up Congratulations

She's a real beauty Tim! I can't wait to see what she looks like all finished up and ready for the road.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. -(wasn't me)

BEWARE OF THE DOGma!! Dogmatism bites...
Old 05-13-2011, 05:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: era 289 FIA #2112
Not Ranked     

Congratulations on getting it home. Let the fun begin!

M-A
Old 05-13-2011, 09:57 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
She's a real beauty Tim! I can't wait to see what she looks like all finished up and ready for the road.

Thanks Buzz !

Let me go off topic for just a moment ...

As has been said on this forum many times, you come for the cars, but it's the people that make the place.

Case in point, about 6 weeks ago I was on vacation with my family in the Caribbean. One of the islands we visited was St Lucia, a lush tropical island with banana plantations, groves of fruit trees and very friendly people. Well when I found out we would be visiting St. Lucia, I knew that I needed to look up Buzz. We were able to meet Buzz and his lovely wife for a little over an hour and talk about Cobras, the Caribbean and California.

... A beer with Buzz in St. Lucia ... priceless
Old 05-13-2011, 10:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427SC 383 stroker
Not Ranked     

it was priceless Tim! We had a brief time with you and your family but it was time really well spent. Our Cobras bring us a lot of joy but one of the greatest parts of the whole experience is meeting new friends and growing the extended Cobra family.
It was easy to see how much you were looking forward to taking delivery, so I can just imagine how you are feeling right now. Congratulations again on putting together one awesome Cobra!

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. -(wasn't me)

BEWARE OF THE DOGma!! Dogmatism bites...
Old 05-13-2011, 10:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Factory Five Racing MKIII Roadster 347
Not Ranked     

Having friends in Paradise... that is priceless!!!
Old 05-14-2011, 05:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Went over to Tims and had coffee at his house; I was getting busy taking photos so I had to park my coffee somewhere. Thankfully, Tim's ERA was outfitted with this nifty beverage holder so...

Note that it is large enough for even a Big Gulp!!!
Old 05-15-2011, 06:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA, 1964 289->Webers
Not Ranked     

How is it at speed? Any spillage?
Old 05-15-2011, 06:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

He hasn't put the engine in but once we get that taken care of, some tests will be conducted...cause' ClubCobra People want to know! ;-)
Old 05-15-2011, 08:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Find a big hill or something! We need to know!!!
Old 05-16-2011, 05:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: superformance/427 fe ford
Not Ranked     

tim,
just wanted to thank you again for the invite to see YOUR NEW COBRA. had a nice time and your cobra is beautiful. very, very happy for you. hope i didn't piss off the neighbors or you when i left. pissed off the wife for sure though. she doesn't do burnouts very well. and i thought that burnout was pretty lame. anyway, again. concrats.
Old 05-16-2011, 08:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289 FIA #2108
Not Ranked     

CSXWNAB: I loved your personalized plate. Made me LOL.

I went further down the street to shake up the neighbors---but I just opened the secondaries in second---loud, but intentionally no burn-out.

DD

"You're kidding, right?"
Old 05-16-2011, 08:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289 FIA #2108
Not Ranked     

CSXWNAB: I loved your personalized plate. Made me LOL.

I went further down the street to shake up the neighbors---but I just opened the secondaries in second---loud, but intentionally no burn-out.

DD

"You're kidding, right?"
Old 05-18-2011, 08:30 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Last weekend, we had a gathering of family and friends to help celebrate the arrival of 2136. A nice mix of cars & people … and everyone, including the neighbors, enjoyed the occasional safe but 'spirited' departure!

Here a couple of photos (thanks Herman) ...

I like Herman's idea for a cup holder …
Old 05-18-2011, 09:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Stop posting pictures & get that engine in the car! We want sound bites by the end of the weekend!
Old 05-18-2011, 10:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by *13* View Post
Stop posting pictures & get that engine in the car! We want sound bites by the end of the weekend!
Tough crowd!
Don't worry that is planned in a couple of weeks.
Old 06-05-2011, 09:21 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Well the motor is not in just yet, had everything all setup to install the motor and transmission today but ran into a problem.

Just before the guys came over to lend a hand, I gave everything a once over, even got out the flashlight to take a look at the pilot bearing. Something did not look quite right, and upon further inspection found that the bearing race was damaged and some of the needle bearings were not being properly retained.

Bottom line, the pilot bearing needs to be replaced then we should be good to go. Glad to have discovered this before it all went together. Not a show stopper, just a slight delay. I'll keep you guys posted.
Old 06-12-2011, 10:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Since Tim is busy with guests at his house, I guess I'll fill in here:

Started this morning at around 10:00AM to install tranny and engine today.
First and foremost was the pilot bearing. A few taps with soft mallet and a tall socket that was the same diameter as the bearing, and it was seated within minutes (this item is what delayed the install last week.)

Next, came the pressure plate installation, followed by the QuickTime bell housing. Spent time finding the torque specs. Amazingly, throughout this day, we found torque specs listed in the ERA, for "general" bolt sizes and grades, to be rather low when compared to my Ford Mustang Chilton's manual. But we decided this is Tim's build so we went with whatever is specified in the ERA build manual so we went with the torque specs there and used Lock-tite as needed.

With a final once-over, it was time to set it up on the hoist and initially, we did try it from the front, which I was pretty sure wasn't going to go and sure enough, we ended up about 6" shy. Plan B: come in from the side.

This worked out after we pushed the car out and then back into the garage to give us more room for the hoist on the drivers side of the car, however, we found the front tire to interfere with the hoist a little bit so we decided it was best to remove it. Tim got his first taste of whacking the spinner with his new lead hammer! Nothing really dramatic if you've ever seen this before, but frankly, I have NEVER seen this done so I found this entertaining. Sure beat removing 5 bolts!!!

With about 4 of us manning the cherry picker and engine, we slowly but surely got the engine into position. I was underneath ensuring the QuickTime would clear the tunnel entrance and engine mount studs were in position. Within minutes, the engine was finally settled into position.

We took a break for pizza and beer and then tackled the transmission. This took a bit of effort as it seemed that initially, it would not mate into the bell housing very easily but we used a bolt to draw the TKO to the bellhousing and I got within 1/8" gap underneath. Tim's son did the same for the upper bolt opposite from my corner and very quickly, the tranny sort of popped into place and mated onto the bell housing.

Once we were all satisfied everything was level (engine was a bit clocked but we took care of that quickly), Tim's son (Mike) torqued everything down underneath the car.

I know Tim's got some pics to post but by 5:00PM, I was bushed but happy everything got installed.

Last edited by 289fia_cobra; 06-12-2011 at 10:11 PM..
Old 06-12-2011, 11:56 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

As Herman said … the Motor & Transmission are in

First and foremost, had a lot of talented help from Herman (289fia_cobra), my son Mike, and fellow car enthusiast Larry amongst others. That really made the difference … thanks guys !!!

Once the pilot bearing was installed, it was pretty straight forward to put together the clutch assembly and reinstall the bell housing & starter.

With the water pump pulley off, but the crank pulley on, the motor was lowered pretty much straight down from over the driver's side fender into the engine bay. We had (4) guys up top guiding the motor and moving the cherry picker, with one guy underneath providing direction (thanks Herman). The front of the motor was being tipped up just a bit and once the bell housing cleared the firewall, we were able to then slide the cherry picker towards the rear of the car, lowered the motor some more and this brought the motor mounts right into alignment.

I had cut the heads off (2) bolts and ground a slot into the end, to be used as temporary guide pins on the bell housing (put in the upper bolt holes, after the motor was installed). The transmission was muscled into the car and then pretty well slid into place, as everything had been carefully aligned. It took a little nudging to get the last little bit to go together, but everything seemed to fit well, we did not have to force anything.

It was very cool to use a lead hammer for the first time … had to double check to make sure I was going the correct direction … next I'll learn how to safety wire

This was a big step today and while there is a lot of plumbing & electrical work, manifolds & exhaust system to install … the car is going together very nicely.

Here are some photos from today's activities: