Club Cobra GasN Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2011, 05:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289FIA 2131, 331 stroker by Dan Dalena with 48 IDAs by Jim Inglese, AC Cars AC8 "Rosso Chiaro" (PPG Nexa code FG39) by Connecticut Custom
Not Ranked     
Default Photographic evidence that 2136 is on the lift and being worked on!!

Some pics from today's visit. Rob installed the driver's side footbox while I was there.

Before installation:

After install:

Rob under the hood:

Parts for 2136 all lined up and ready to go:

Overhead shot with Rob's tool station:

No need to worry about the door pocket installation!:

Old 01-11-2011, 05:59 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA 'Street' Build
Not Ranked     

Jeff,

Great job on the photos, next best thing to being there ... love it! Looks like the assembly is progressing quite nicely. Thanks !!!

- Tim
Old 01-11-2011, 06:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

i really like that blue!
Old 01-11-2011, 09:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Factory Five Racing MKIII Roadster 347
Not Ranked     

That's a deep blue. It's pretty darn close to the Highlander Pearl Indigo Blue.
Nice!
Old 01-11-2011, 10:08 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks guys ... should look even better outside and change just a bit from sun to shade. Similar to the Indigo used by SPO.
Old 01-11-2011, 10:14 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 623, 427 S/C Cobra. Ford FE 428 Cobra Jet, Ford Nascar TL 4speed - with a touch of raw; "less is more" theme
Not Ranked     

Tim,

Again, congratulations on the build progress. I look at your updated posts every once in a while just to see how its going and to try and remember the whole wait and build process I went through to build my ERA. Savor the moments and the steps along the way.

For what its worth, as I started thinking about repainting my own ERA this winter, photos from DCDoug and yours on this thread are the ones that inspired me to go out in the garage and tear mine all back apart and repaint it a different color. Its almost back together now.

If you don't already know, be prepared to take it all in when that ride rolls off the truck and into your garage for the first time; you are not going to believe just how cool it is and how nice ERAs are. Love the color too.. Enjoy!
Old 01-12-2011, 12:54 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by decooney View Post
Tim,

Again, congratulations on the build progress. I look at your updated posts every once in a while just to see how its going and to try and remember the whole wait and build process I went through to build my ERA. Savor the moments and the steps along the way.

For what its worth, as I started thinking about repainting my own ERA this winter, photos from DCDoug and yours on this thread are the ones that inspired me to go out in the garage and tear mine all back apart and repaint it a different color. Its almost back together now.

If you don't already know, be prepared to take it all in when that ride rolls off the truck and into your garage for the first time; you are not going to believe just how cool it is and how nice ERAs are. Love the color too.. Enjoy!

Duane,

I hear what you are saying … part of the fun is the whole process. I know a lot of guys have gone through a similar experience with their builds.

Glad that your are working on your car … be sure to post some before, during and after photos!

I have been cleaning out my garage for the past few months, making room for the car, and room to work so I can install the motor and transmission. Looking forward to the day when the InterCity transporter pulls up out front

- Tim

Last edited by tkb289; 01-12-2011 at 07:17 PM.. Reason: added 'to'
Old 01-12-2011, 02:14 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Tim,

You can always park the TR6 at my house. I'd be happy to care of it and you can rest assured that I wouldn't drive it, since I never drive my Cobra.

Nice color. What color wheels did you decide on?
Old 01-12-2011, 07:22 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKnock View Post
Tim,

You can always park the TR6 at my house. I'd be happy to care of it and you can rest assured that I wouldn't drive it, since I never drive my Cobra.

Nice color. What color wheels did you decide on?

Rodney,

That's a very generous offer ... I am actually trying to figure out where to park the TR while the Cobra final assembly comes together, will definitely keep that in mind, thanks!

For the wheels, PSE 15" FIA pin drives with the center web black and the lip (rim) is bare aluminum. Should look pretty good.

- Tim
Old 01-13-2011, 07:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA #2124
Not Ranked     

Tim:

Been following your build thread...car is beautiful and it's great to see occasional pics from the ERA shop. Have you considered the FIA PSE's in White...maybe with white pipes? I think that would be a very striking contrast...

- Allen.
Old 01-13-2011, 07:46 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 623, 427 S/C Cobra. Ford FE 428 Cobra Jet, Ford Nascar TL 4speed - with a touch of raw; "less is more" theme
Not Ranked     

If Tim is going where I think he's going with his paint scheme, its probably based on the "less is more" theory, 'eh Tim?

On some cars, and looking through many old books and seeing cars in person, there is just something about a solid color with no stripes that really allows the shape of the car to come through, and it can be very rich looking once all the bits are in place; IMO. Vinyl cross stripes help this situation; and you can always remove them later if you get tired of it and want to go back to a solid paint theme. Just a thought Tim, in case you decide to experiment later without having to add/change the paint on the car. Love the solid blue, looks great!
Old 01-13-2011, 09:00 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullchat289 View Post
Tim:

Been following your build thread...car is beautiful and it's great to see occasional pics from the ERA shop. Have you considered the FIA PSE's in White...maybe with white pipes? I think that would be a very striking contrast...

- Allen.

Allen,

You are so right … I went back and forth on the color for the wheels and I agree the white FIA wheels have a great look, especially on the full FIA car or on a coupe. I decided to start with black with the contrasting bare rim and knock off which should give the wheels a bit of 'bling' for lack of a better term. I also have two sets of fender vents, one body color and one bare aluminum, again for a bit of contrast. Well see how it looks when it's all together, I can always have the wheel centers redone in white down the road if I want to change the look.

I am also going with a partial under car exhaust, not the FIA side pipes. So that all that will poke out, will be a simple black exhaust pipe (2 - 1/2" or so in diameter), cut square that exits just before the rear tire and angled slightly towards the back of the car… very similar to the look on some early street Cobras or a '65 GT-350. I also have the optional rear suspension, so a complete under car exhaust is not an option. Aside from the look, want the exhaust to be a bit quieter than the FIA pipes, but a bit louder than the full under car setup. I should probably start a muffler thread

Thanks for the suggestions … there are so many choices and options !

- Tim
Old 01-13-2011, 09:15 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by decooney View Post
If Tim is going where I think he's going with his paint scheme, its probably based on the "less is more" theory, 'eh Tim?

On some cars, and looking through many old books and seeing cars in person, there is just something about a solid color with no stripes that really allows the shape of the car to come through, and it can be very rich looking once all the bits are in place; IMO. Vinyl cross stripes help this situation; and you can always remove them later if you get tired of it and want to go back to a solid paint theme. Just a thought Tim, in case you decide to experiment later without having to add/change the paint on the car. Love the solid blue, looks great!

Duane,

You got it right … I am going for the less is more school of thought. Not necessarily duplicating an original car, just a mix of different elements. No hood scoop or oil cooler scoop, solid color with a bit of 'zip' in the sun. The FIA dash gives me more room and the grille will give the car more of a street look. At the time I ordered 2136, ERA had just completed their first slab side car, which is simply beautiful. But I really like the lines of the FIA body, so decided to go that route in more of a 'Street' trim.

I like the idea of vinyl stripes, a lot of guys do the same with period decals, really looks great. The sideways nose stripe is very cool, reminds me of a similar setup on the Triumph TR250 / TR5 ( I do like those Triumphs ). Good idea, I'll have to keep that in mind!

- Tim
Old 01-13-2011, 10:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Tim:

Totally missed the fact that your car doesn't have the oil cooler scoop. I totally agree with your "nothing is permanent" thoughts. I will be changing my bare cast FIA wheels to all satin black over the winter... Fun stuff and keeps the car "fresh".

- Allen.
Old 01-20-2011, 12:42 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The build continues ...

Courtesy of John at ERA (thanks John), here are three more photos as the build takes shape. Doug and crew are making great progress

Looks like most of the front suspension and steering rack is installed.

Heater getting plumbed up.

Next up is probably the rear suspension … will likely go with black quick jacks in place of the bumpers, like that look better. That's Jeffy's 2131 is the background.
Old 01-20-2011, 12:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Tim:

Is your single rollbar higher than their standard piece?....in other words, the same height as your larger role hoop?

Looking good!

- Allen.
Old 01-20-2011, 12:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289FIA 2131, 331 stroker by Dan Dalena with 48 IDAs by Jim Inglese, AC Cars AC8 "Rosso Chiaro" (PPG Nexa code FG39) by Connecticut Custom
Not Ranked     
Default Don't know if you remember this pic from my thread...

Hi Tim-

Here is a pic of a customer ordered FIA-bodied car with the grill installed and quick jacks, if you want an idea of of how that combination looks:

I think it looks pretty good!

Jeff
Old 01-20-2011, 01:01 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullchat289 View Post
Tim:

Is your single rollbar higher than their standard piece?....in other words, the same height as your larger role hoop?

Looking good!

- Allen.
Allen,

Yes it is a bit higher than the standard issue ( just like me ), similar to the full width bar setup.

I am 6'-4" so figured it was a good option, Peter and crew really do build custom cars.

- Tim
Old 01-20-2011, 01:06 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffy View Post
Hi Tim-

Here is a pic of a customer ordered FIA-bodied car with the grill installed and quick jacks, if you want an idea of of how that combination looks:

I think it looks pretty good!

Jeff

Jeff,

That's it ... quick jacks and a grille, beautiful car. Not a traditional combination, but I really like it!

- Tim
Old 01-20-2011, 01:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Here is another one from the ERA gallery...

I agree it is a rare combination, but I like it a lot too. It think it looks much better than with the bumpers, and you have an historical precedent to "justify" it!

It looks really "old school".

I also like the black spokes and polished rims with the blue body. Should be a beauty!