Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Kirkham Motorsports

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2011, 02:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #647 brushed
Not Ranked     

Awesome Chris!
Old 08-04-2011, 09:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 289 FIA, 363 Stroker
Not Ranked     

I had to fight with the foot box heat shields some more, so getting around to the interior took a little bit longer than i thought it would.

However, I've managed to get the transmission tunnel and passenger side done in the last two evenings.

Fatmat in the footbox.

Old 08-04-2011, 11:01 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA 'Street' Build
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RestoCreations View Post

Resto ...

Questions ... the suspension pickup points on the main frame tubes ... is that unique to Krikham or was that also done on the CSX 3xxx cars?

The little covers are cool, how are they attached?

Nice work !
Old 08-05-2011, 05:36 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4772 old iron FE
Not Ranked     

That was done on 3000 cars, it's the front of the radius rod, the little covers aren't very noticeable behind seats. They are similar to the ones in the trunk. They are screwed or riveted in place. Chris can you make or do you have the little circular covers for the upper arms?
Old 08-05-2011, 05:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I don't have the covers for the circular holes in the bulkhead yet.

I riveted the lower covers in place and you are right Nick, they really aren't noticeable or visible once the carpet and seats are installed.
Old 08-08-2011, 08:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Interior is officially finished, minus carpeting for the doors and the steering column. That took a lot longer than i thought. I probably have 30 or so hours in reconditioning the bulkhead panels and assembling the entire interior.

I may have said this already, but the leather seats the Kirkham's sell are incredibly nice!!! Beautiful craftsmanship and the leather is some of the best i have seen in a long time.

The Kirkey Racing seat that came with the car. Since it was new, I decided to keep it and use it with a set of the Kirkham Billet aluminum seat tracks and custom mounting plates..

Seat all the way back

Seat all the way forward.

It turns out that the rubber plugs used on 67-68 Mustangs to block off the access holes for the seat bolts fit perfectly into the holes on the Kirkham bulkhead.

Last edited by RestoCreations; 08-08-2011 at 08:46 PM..
Old 08-09-2011, 09:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Very nice. You are getting very close to being done. Congrats on the progress.
Old 08-09-2011, 03:03 PM
Stolen Avitar
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR 1311 428PI
Not Ranked     

Chris, I have to ask; do you have really long arms? I'm just asking because of where the shifter lever is.

Steve
Old 08-09-2011, 04:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Interior looks great Chris! You did an awesome job, it will be so rewarding soon and itis all done and you're cruising down Birmingham to Paradise BQ
Old 08-09-2011, 06:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Looks great!!! I like the bulk head without carpet.
Old 08-09-2011, 10:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique Motorcars 289 USRRC, 1964 289 stroked to 331, toploader
Not Ranked     
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovehamr View Post
Chris, I have to ask; do you have really long arms? I'm just asking because of where the shifter lever is.

Steve

Isn't that more like the 289 shifter location? Doesn't it seem too far forward for the 427 car? Not that it has to be in the same location...

Looking good overall!

Paul

Unique Motorcars 289 USRRC
1964 289 5-bolt block
Toploader and 3.31 rear
Old 08-09-2011, 10:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Im a dwarf, so i put the seat forward and the shifter is in just the right location. The shifter can be swapped around for taller drivers if need be. The location of the actual shifter can also be changed as well. You can see where i reversed the tremec shifter in an earlier post. At least i think i posted those pictures. It's been a while.

Im not real concerned about if it is in the "correct" location for a 427 car. It works well and looks good and that is all that matters. I had the shifter left over from a 68 Mustang build that I ended up selling. Im glad i kept it now.

Last edited by RestoCreations; 08-09-2011 at 11:05 PM..
Old 08-09-2011, 11:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avmaviator View Post
Interior looks great Chris! You did an awesome job, it will be so rewarding soon and itis all done and you're cruising down Birmingham to Paradise BQ
Arnaud, did you get a chance to measure the spinners yet? I havent had any luck finding out if they are supposed to be thicker on the driver's side yet.
Thanks for all the help and I hope your engine shows up soon so we can follow your updates
Old 08-10-2011, 02:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Arnaud, did you get a chance to measure the spinners yet? I havent had any luck finding out if they are supposed to be thicker on the driver's side yet.
Thanks for all the help and I hope your engine shows up soon so we can follow your updates
I get home this afternoon and will get you all that info
Old 08-10-2011, 12:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Since there was a fuss about the Shifter, I decided to see how far away my reach would be with the driver's seat all of the way back. I can still reach it without issue and shift the gears even with the seat in its rearward most location. So, the shifter should be perfect regardless of a persons size.
Every replica is different and while this is in a great location for the Kirkham with a 427FE and a Tremec TKO, it might be in a horrible location for another brand replica that has the engine mounts further back, different cockpit dimensions, a different engine and transmission combination, or a combination of the 3.
Old 08-10-2011, 03:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Since there was a fuss about the Shifter, I decided to see how far away my reach would be with the driver's seat all of the way back. I can still reach it without issue and shift the gears even with the seat in its rearward most location. So, the shifter should be perfect regardless of a persons size.
Every replica is different and while this is in a great location for the Kirkham with a 427FE and a Tremec TKO, it might be in a horrible location for another brand replica that has the engine mounts further back, different cockpit dimensions, a different engine and transmission combination, or a combination of the 3.
Well it's not like there is a lot of real estate in a cobra anyways... I'm pretty sure I can reach anything/anywhere in car without moving from my seat
Old 08-13-2011, 08:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

A few months ago the passenger side handle pulled out of the hood when i tried to lift it, so without thinking, i mindlessly reached for the front of the hood scoop and pulled on it to lift the hood. The rivets that were used to put the scoop on were not long enough and several in the front of the scoop pulled out. That would not be a problem, but the hood was painted after it was riveted in place and the paint had puddled around the curve in the front of the scoop. So, the paint peeled up and then chipped pretty bad around the front right corner of the scoop. I am sure the neighbors enjoyed some of the choice words that flew out of my mouth right after this occurred.

Chip-it actually looked much worse in person.

New Button head bolts. Some will probably not like them, but i think they look good.

Sanded down and ready to go to the paint shop for more sanding, prep, and to have the stripes sprayed.

Underside of scoop. I am not sure if we can match the blue paint, so i might just sand and polish the underside of the scoop.

Last edited by RestoCreations; 08-13-2011 at 08:20 AM..
Old 09-21-2011, 05:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default 9/21/11

The upper control arms and new spinners came in from Kirkham about a week ago and everything has been reinstalled and is ready to go.

The hood was being painted today when i stopped by the body shop, so I should be able to pick up soon.

Other news: I had to remove the intake again due to a bad leak at the front of the intake where the sealant was smeared away from the top of the engine block by the coolant tank on the last install. Cometic loves me so much-3 sets of intake gaskets.

I also found that the secondary plates on the quickfuel carburetor were completely closed. When somebody says something is ready to run out of the box, dont take their word for it and inspect the part. Just my .02 I also had to downsize on the air bleeds.

The engine is running great now that everything is adjusted correctly. I will be loading her into the trailer tomorrow evening and then headed to the alignment shop early Friday morning.

Pictures to follow.
Old 09-22-2011, 05:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I love updates
Old 09-30-2011, 07:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default DYNO Tune Videos

I spent the day at Wayne Presley's today where he tuned the car in just right on his Mustang Dyno.

The carburetor had .037 Idle Feed Restrictors installed, which were way too large and were causing the engine to run very rich. Wayne changed them out to .032s i believe, he set that timing at 38 degrees advance and then the dyno tuning began. The end result was larger jets all around, some larger air bleeds in the rear and a good running engine that is a torque monster. The hp was a bit lower than i expected, but overall, i am certainly happy due to the torque numbers.

End result 442 HP at the wheels and 515 ft lbs of Torque. Oh, and remember, this is a mustang dyno not a dynojet. Power peaks out at around 5700rpm

Engine specs

-527 stroker kit, 10.2:1 compression
-850 CFM quickfuel
-Ported edelbrock heads-cant find the valve size currently that Keith craft upgraded them to, but will dig it up eventually, with port matched edelbrock performer rpm intake.
-Keith Craft Comp cams Hydraulic roller with 242/248 duration and .645/.635 lift, 112 lobe separation.
-T&D Shaft Mount Roller Rockers

I gave the car just a short burst of throttle in the driveway and it will certainly scoot.
Alignment is set for Monday and then she will officially be road ready.

Special thanks to Wayne for all the help and for putting up with me staring over his shoulder all day.
Oh, and for those that might think you dont need a dyno tune. The jet change on the secondaries ended up netting an additional 20rwhp.

Oh, and yes you will see some smoke blow off the passenger header. Oil is blowing past the dipstick compression fitting at high RPM and spraying the header. So, that will need to be addressed first thing tomorrow morning.

Last edited by RestoCreations; 09-30-2011 at 07:20 PM..