Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Kirkham Motorsports

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
May 2024
S M T W T F S
      1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31  

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2011, 07:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 289 FIA, 363 Stroker
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgs365 View Post
Can you post a picture of the fuel log set up you have...please..I'm not liking the set up I have it doesn't look right under the turkey pan
I made my own fuel log and after purchasing all of the reducers, etc. i could have easily bought one, but the problem i ran into is that nobody makes a fuel log which has -8 line that feeds into the -6 lines on the carb. So, i ended up using -8 to -6 reducers on the ends and -6 t fittings.
Old 11-12-2011, 07:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avmaviator View Post
Ironman is spectacular! Like Chris said, I flew down to Birmingham on Thursday to see the car and enjoy a nice AL fall day (it was cool but much warmer then the 31* in Chicago with light snow ) Thanks again Chris!

Chris did a fantastic job putting this car together. It looks great, sounds fantastic, and it is a beast. It is quite something to be seated behind 527 screaming cids! Once the car hooks ups all the way (usually in second gear it seems, but it got grip in first too), you can feel it grip/squat down, and bang, you just got launched off a canon.

I have pictures, and good videos too, but I need to figure out how to go from a dvd to youtube.
Thanks Arnaud! It's good to have approval from a fellow car enthusiast that understands the amount of time that goes into a build like this.
Old 11-15-2011, 10:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Finishing Touches

Now that i have 200 miles on the car, it is time to put on the finishing touches. I started last weekend with the tires and I have been working on the sidepipes this week as time allows. I managed to make it through polishing the 4 passenger side header tubes yesterday and this evening i spent 6 hours making the aluminum heat shields to go around the sidepipes.

First, here are some pictures of the hood scoop and hood after the stripes were repainted. The scoop pulled away from the hood this past spring when i was working on the car. Apparently the rivets were not long enough and did not fasten the scoop properly to the hood. Plus, they were painted together and paint pooled around the corners of the scoop, so when it pulled away it took a lot of paint from the hood with it. Since the underside just had an uneven overspray of blue, i decided to strip it and make it bare brushed aluminum.

Stripes repainted on the hood. I decided to buff the hood myself to save a few bucks.

Goodyear Billboard Tire lettering-The letters on the right rear tire were the most worn. I thought about making a template, but instead i just decided to tape the tires, carefully cut around the letters, and respray them.

Last edited by RestoCreations; 11-16-2011 at 05:06 AM..
Old 11-15-2011, 10:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Sidepipe polishing and Heat Shields

Making a template for the heat shield

And installed. I am sure some will not care for it, but they are necessary. There is no way to protect the paint around the cutouts and the paint chipped a little when i enlarged them to fit the header tubes. Cinema Vehicles or Kirkham only cut them just enough to fit the non functional pipes through. It took me about 3-1/2 hours to make each heat shield.

Last edited by RestoCreations; 11-16-2011 at 07:09 AM..
Old 11-16-2011, 03:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1966 Lone Star 427SC.
Not Ranked     

Who's tire paint did you go with ?
I have the paint from Ranger, but haven't used it yet.

Also, how did you adhere the heat shields ?

Ranger Tire Paint — Testimonials

Last edited by FUNFER2; 11-16-2011 at 04:03 AM..
Old 11-16-2011, 05:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I used stencil paint that was left over from a midyear Corvette restoration. It adhered really well, surprisingly. I tried some of the tire paint that comes in a pen and brush paint from the hobby store, but both were too thick, looked clumpy, and showed brush marks.

The heat shields are currently held in place by 4 screws, one at each corner. I plan on using small pop rivets to secure them once the pipes are fully polished and assembled.
Old 11-16-2011, 05:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Since I have the Ranger paint, I'll follow their instructions, so lets keep in touch and see what works best. I don't know when I'll get around to paint them ?
Old 11-22-2011, 06:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

30 hours total last week polishing the pipes, making heat shields, and removing and reinstalling the header tubes and sidepipes. I had no idea it was going to take so long to polish the pipes!!!! I only had one mishap with the high speed buffer and fortunately i still have all my digits and none of the parts were damaged.

Before

After

And just in case you are wondering what is inside. I am still scratching my head as to why these are so incredibly expensive, but they sound good and the muffler portions stay surprisingly cool.

Old 11-22-2011, 07:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

You'll love the stainless as I do, over mild steel. What's inside the muffler ?
Mine are louvers. I build these highly polished 304 stainless in a kit form for any cobra, vette, hot rod etc. I think they clean up easier than a coating. They will last for many,....years over mild steel.

Anyway, they look great buddy.

Gilmore Side Pipe Kit pictures by 427HISS - Photobucket

Old 11-22-2011, 08:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

That piece sitting next to the muffler tube is all that is inside. Just a screen that inserts into the material inside of the muffler. I am not sure if it is fiberglass packing inside of the muffler or something else.
Old 11-22-2011, 08:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The photo of what ever's inside the muffler looks restrictive. One of my customers muffler had this inside. Wow, talk about restrictive.

Old 11-22-2011, 11:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #647 brushed
Not Ranked     

I believe the packing is stainless steel wool if I remember correctly from my Kirkham visit. It is supposed to last longer and not break down like fiber glass does.

The pipes look really good Chris. Looks like a lot of work but totally worth it when you see the result.
Old 11-22-2011, 12:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Very nice built ! Congrats ! Where did you get this sidepipe- kit from ? Looks perfect !
Old 11-22-2011, 12:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Do you mean me ?
If so, we make them. The primaries extra long for a custom fit. All you need is your 4-hole flange to match the one on your headers. Like Chris mentioned, stainless is expensive, but they last much longer, look and sound great. If you want more info, PM or email me as I don't want to work over his thread.
Gilmore Side Pipe Kit pictures by 427HISS - Photobucket

Again Chris- beautiful cobra build and great workmanship !

Last edited by FUNFER2; 11-22-2011 at 12:55 PM..
Old 11-22-2011, 12:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Its just a straight through pipe with packing material around it. It really isnt restrictive at all. I guess my fuzzy pictures is showing the wrong thing. Look at the picture of the pipe on the ground. At the front of the pipe is the collector that i removed and next to the sidepipe is the mesh tube that inserts into the stainless pipe. It simply slides down inside of the stainless steel pipe and has sound dampening material around it. The mesh pipe appeared to be around 2-1/4 to 2-1/2 in diameter and is straight through. The design gives the exhaust a nice low rumble, but it still loud and does get very loud under full acceleration, but it is not like some of the glasspacks that are in my opinion obnoxious and will make you want to rip your ears off. Also, the mesh does not produce a flappy sound at idle while cruising, it keeps that nice low pitch. However, it does flap when backpressure is present, but it isnt terrible.
Old 11-22-2011, 12:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

It is pretty fuzzy. lol
Doesn't the stainless sound great over mild steel !

What did you do for hangers ?
My first ones were just 1/4" thick straight stock welded to the outer shell of the muffler. It ripped out after 20 miles, so we changed to out present hanger that conforms to the muffler and about 3" long. No issues now.

Last edited by FUNFER2; 11-22-2011 at 01:08 PM..
Old 11-22-2011, 01:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

You I didnt even think about the stainless contributing to the sound, but now that you mention it, i am sure it makes a difference. I certainly know there is a big difference in how an internal fuel pump sounds inside of an aluminum gas tank vs a stainless tank.
Old 11-22-2011, 01:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Yes, much deeper and raspy tone. I would have never thought about a pump sound difference in a fuel tank. Interesting.
Old 12-10-2011, 11:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

took my exhausts apart today..... - Page 2
this is the stuff i used, ( acustafill ). I dont know how available it is over there but i was really impressed with the difference it made. The first thread is the one about my exhausts specifically if you go to the 4 page you can see how easy it is to install.
Sidepipe / Silencer Packing Material - Acoustafil
Old 12-11-2011, 05:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolphinboy400 View Post
took my exhausts apart today..... - Page 2
this is the stuff i used, ( acustafill ). I dont know how available it is over there but i was really impressed with the difference it made. The first thread is the one about my exhausts specifically if you go to the 4 page you can see how easy it is to install.
Sidepipe / Silencer Packing Material - Acoustafil
We have to join that site to see the pics. Can you just post some here on CC ?