Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Kirkham Motorsports

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 09-30-2011, 08:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates (2001)
Not Ranked     

only 442hp at the rear wheels.....i would ask for my money back on that one.....lol
Old 09-30-2011, 08:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 289 FIA, 363 Stroker
Not Ranked     

Im not sure what you mean, Rusty. Should i be realistic and truthful, or should I add in the 12 percent for the difference between the mustang dyno vs dynojet, and then add in the extra 15 percent for drivetrain loss? That would put me near 600hp as most advertise.

Last edited by RestoCreations; 09-30-2011 at 08:56 PM..
Old 09-30-2011, 10:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Almost there... The car is looking great.
Old 10-01-2011, 10:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Well, i couldn't resist. I just went for the maiden voyage and as i thought, the power is completely and totally unusable, but definitely fun. I only gave the car about half throttle when i pulled out from the gas station and it spun the tires, i shifted to second and the tires spun again with only partial throttle. Im going to need to let some air out of the tires and put sand bags in the trunk.
Old 10-01-2011, 01:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX6363
Not Ranked     

With a 527, I bet you'll be have plenty of opportunities to chirp the tires coming out of the gas stations! At least you're able to enjoy the car now.

BTW, I have about 45 more days left in the sand box.....can't wait to get back home.
Old 10-01-2011, 08:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #647 brushed
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RestoCreations View Post
Well, i couldn't resist. I just went for the maiden voyage and as i thought, the power is completely and totally unusable, but definitely fun. I only gave the car about half throttle when i pulled out from the gas station and it spun the tires, i shifted to second and the tires spun again with only partial throttle. Im going to need to let some air out of the tires and put sand bags in the trunk.
Haha, that's awesome! (sorry for no responding to your text this afternoon, we had no signal at the track and my battery died).

I cannot wait to 1) drive our Kirkham, and 2) get a ride in Ironman

Oh, and you need to get a GoPro so we can see and hear this machine in action
Old 10-02-2011, 01:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

GoPro is on list of items to buy. Any recommendations on where to pick one up.
Old 10-02-2011, 07:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
I personally just spend a lot of time shopping around the net for good deals on items like that, but that is also because I spend way too much in hotels room on the road

Here is an example, although this package does have any mounts, but the mounts are easy and fairly cheap to pick up. http://http://www.google.com/product...d=0CKQBEPICMAg

I would stay away from used ones though...

Last edited by Avmaviator; 10-02-2011 at 07:08 PM..
Old 10-03-2011, 04:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1966 Lone Star 427SC.
Not Ranked     

Fantastic Kirkham.

Do you have a link to all your photo's ?
Old 10-03-2011, 05:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #523, 427 S/O
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Hi,
I've just got a CAMsports HDmax TV camera.

http://camsports.com/index.php?optio...369&Itemid=314

This is a complete system and includes the mounts. The quality is superb and the camera has a 2" LCD panel so that you can review your footage. It also has an external microphone feed, which is pretty much essential on a Cobra if you don't want the exhaust noise to be drowned out by wind noise. The external mic is probably the only additional item you would need as everything else is included.
The camera also comes with a remote start/stop control that you can mount somewhere convenient as well as lighter socket plug for power.

This is a new camera and there are plenty of reviews on the net.

Paul

Last edited by FatBoy; 10-03-2011 at 05:36 AM..
Old 10-03-2011, 09:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUNFER2 View Post
Fantastic Kirkham.

Do you have a link to all your photo's ?

When the car is finished, hopefully in the very near future, i will post a new thread with all of the pictures from the day I purchased the car to the completion date. That way, whoever wants to view the pictures without scrolling through an excessive amount of pages filled with responses, can easily see the pictures I have and the progression of the build. Sound good?

Thanks for the responses on the camera. I've been meaning to look into them for a while now, but since i was invested every spare penny into the Kirkham, i decided to wait. I will start my research tonight.
Old 10-03-2011, 09:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1966 Lone Star 427SC.
Not Ranked     

Have you tried photo bucket ?

I really like it, as you can store an endless amount, have different albums, resize, etc. Plus, what ever website you on, or if you're emailing, you can just paste your page on photo bucket, to anyone, anywhere, rather than sending everyone you know the save photo's and email's.

It's also very easy to use. You can upload one photo or many at one time.

You can have separate albums for say, build, engine, drive train, body, suspension etc. and separate albums for family shots, car show events......

Check it out here- Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket

Look over my page as a example. I need to add more and organize,....sometime.

Anyway, you'll get the drift.

My page- Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket
Old 10-11-2011, 06:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Photobucket is how i host the pictures on this site.

What i was referring to above is an action camera for filming while i am driving.

I just picked the car up from the alignment shop early this morning. Shew, 400.00 alignment bill-Ouch. They said they spent 5 hours one it.
Old 10-11-2011, 08:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Photobucket is how i host the pictures on this site.

What i was referring to above is an action camera for filming while i am driving.

I just picked the car up from the alignment shop early this morning. Shew, 400.00 alignment bill-Ouch. They said they spent 5 hours one it.
Yikes, but let the fun begin now Awesome time of the year to be driving around in a cobra.
Old 10-11-2011, 09:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #523, 427 S/O
Not Ranked     

I spent about the same getting mine set up, but it made a massive difference.

Have you checked the rear bump-steer? When I set mine, I ran out of adjustment. The problem I found was that as I tuned out the bump-steer by unscrewing the upper rear heim joint, it removed the negative camber and there wasn't enough adjustment to get it back again. So Sandwich made me up a new set of spacers for the inner end of the upper wishbones, which moved them further forward in the chassis by maybe 8mm. This meant I could screw theheim joints back in again and regain the camber.

I can't recall the precise figures, but I got it to something like 0.006" per inch of wheel travel, which I was pretty happy with.

On the corner balance, we got it to within 0.5kg across the diagonals with driver and ½ tank of fuel.

Paul

PS. Apologies for mixing up my metric and Imperial units.
Old 10-11-2011, 11:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Cobra, 427 side oiler
Not Ranked     

Lots of GoPro HD cameras on eBay from reputable sellers for $225-229 and free shipping. Nice camera, sound when moving sucks because it doesn't support an external mic.
Old 10-12-2011, 06:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for the tips on the alignment and the camera.

Im ready to put some miles on the car, but it has been raining here for the last two days. It hasnt rained in weeks and it is supposed to storm again tomorrow. So, it looks like the car and I will have a date on Friday.
Old 10-14-2011, 06:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default End of a long Journey

I would like to share with all my joy and excitement in announcing that the car is officially on the road.
I took a wonderful 8 mile ride this evening after managing to come up with a strategy to mount the hood all by myself. After a mile, i stopped at the local shell station to fill up and a group of 6 teenagers came running up to the car. They all new what the car was and it was great to see such young individuals so excited about a classic design. When i got out of the car, my hands were still trembling from the anxiety of taking the car for its official first drive. My heart was racing with excitement and fear before i even turned the key. I've been over everything multiple times, but there is still that fear that something, perhaps one tiny thing that will cause a catastrophic failure, has been forgotten. Anyway, after i filled up, i hit the road and cruised around town. I had forgotten how much these cars are loved. Everywhere i went people simply stopped whatever they were doing to take a glance at the car. Im sure some of that had to due with the rumble of the exhaust, but i think most of it is simply that the cars design is forever classic.
On my way home i decided to get into the gears and the pedal a little bit and wow, what an incredible piece of engineering. I really had to ease into first very carefully, but second is just awesome if the throttle is controlled just right. The pressure pushing me back in my seat was like being on a roller coaster. What an awesome ending to a long and stressful week. Sometimes you really need a ride in a car like this and i dont care what the cost is, if it can make you feel this good and forget your worries, it's worth it.
Two thumbs up to the Kirkhams for engineering such a wonderful and incredible car. I am very happy that i had the pleasure and opportunity to build such a machine and I thank all of you who helped make it possible.

Last edited by RestoCreations; 10-14-2011 at 06:54 PM..
Old 10-14-2011, 07:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

I got my Go Pro from Amazon.com. Best price and we use the pre-paid shipping so it was free (for that purchase). I used it on my Grand Canyon trip and it really makes nice videos. I've used it on the Cobra and with the waterproof case the sound is practically gone. Better with the open standard back.
Old 10-14-2011, 09:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks, ive got the camera on the way already and will share videos as soon as i have a chance. Wow, i received more responses to a camera question than I did to any of the build updates. Glad to here it is worth the money.