May 2024
S M T W T F S
      1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31  

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 3.80 average. Display Modes
Old 06-02-2005, 07:52 AM
6th Generation Texan
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lone Star Classics #240,Candy Apple Red,Keith Craft 418w - 602 HP,584 TQ
Not Ranked     

Is Kristen's photo of those new blue tennis shoes causing problems again ???
Old 06-02-2005, 08:03 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Smile

Earl,

Several people here have left since Rite Aid bought this pharmacy out and are now going to COSTCO. I think all of this medicine is way overpriced as none of them are losing any money on it and when one can sell the same thing for over $100 dollars less, that means the others are really ripping people off. Now they just announced they are going to build a new big store in another location here.

Brent,

I think the minute you tell them that you have insurance that will pay some of the bill, they double the price. When I told this idiot down here that I don't have insurance the price dropped from $198 to the $148 that I won't pay either. Not when I can drive 10 miles and get it for what I have always paid for it.

Was it Kristen's blue tennis shoes or the socks that caused the problem?

Ron

View my Miscellaneous Gallery
Old 06-02-2005, 09:17 AM
Miss Texas Cobra Club-08
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #291 *has left the garage*
Not Ranked     

not my shoes, or socks, thank you very much!!

hey, Fred. haven't seen you around this thread for a while. Are you coming Saturday??? How about to Tulsa??

I have had the worst luck with the tires. Called Gary yesterday and said, my tires look like $h!t!!!

well, I had used 'tire wet' to clean off the tires,,, then painted them with acrylic paint. guess what happened.....

anyway, have scrubbed the paint off again, and starting over. Just re-doing 2. We'll see!!!!
First coat on the re-do's. Will second coat, sharpie them as well, then polish wheels. Have Gary come over and re-mount. Tidy up any smudges, etc., and hopefully good to go!!! This has turned into a huge time thing. I planned on the whole day Tuesday. Yesterday did not fit to re-do anything. Or today. Squeezing it in. Remember, my 'English guests' arrive Saturday!!!

Saturday the Dallas group meets for breakfast at 7. I would like to be there in the Cobra! may just be the 'burban.....
Glad we are meeting early, as later would be too much of a crunch with my guests. The guest room is a mess. That was designated as Friday's project. #1 cobra girl is in basketball camp. Friday is the 'performance' at 11:30. Guest room must be done by then, as the afternoon will be spent taking hoodlums to buy shorts that fit. They look pretty dorky right now, with shorts from last summer. Cool dude (#2) is breaking out in hives from looking like a dork. #1 couldn't care less. The boys want shorts long enough to look like a dress; the girls want shorts short enough to look like boxers. Go figure.

Guess I'll go check the paint. Apply second coat. Supposed to have friends over to scrapbook this afternoon for a couple of hours. too much!!! Softball practice at 5:30. Baseball game at 8. Won't do the baseball game. #1 hoodlum got invited out for the night/tomorrow. good. the bad is he's going to a worse hoodlum's house.

Friday night going to the 'dallas summer musical' to see Peter Pan.
yea!!!!! My favorite show.....

#1 son is Peter Pan. #2 is Captain hook. #1 girl is Wendy. #2 is Tinkerbell. ok. I ramble on.
ya'll have a great day. Keep me posted.
I wish I had a new truck. The dually is a drag.
beggars can't be chosers.
K
Old 06-02-2005, 09:34 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Kristen,

Your tire lettering job is starting to sound more and more like what I went through before I gave up. What did your acrilic paint do? Mine looked great until I drove the car and the tires turned a few times. Then it cracked all over like a dropped egg. I finally just scrubbed all of it off. I didn't use the tire wet to clean the tires before painting as I wanted the letters as dry and free of any oily substance as I could get them. I am looking for a white Sharpie permanent marker. Think if they make one I will try that next.
What did you use to scrub the paint off with?

Ron

Old 06-02-2005, 10:19 AM
Miss Texas Cobra Club-08
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

ok. the white sharpie does not work. I tried that first, of course. There are other white paint pens. Tried them, too. They all cracked after a few turns. Gary has had good success with just the basic white acrylic in a tube, like artists' use.
the Tire Wet put an oily substance on the tires, which of course water based acrylic does not like. They looked great Tuesday evening, then Wednesday morning I went outside and looked; ugh... flaked, peeled, running paint all over. The two inside the house look ok. not great. A little bubbling under the paint. have poked holes with a pin to let the air out. jury still out on those two. I scrubbed off the outside ones and started over. I am scrubbing with a copper brush, with 'orange' fantastic. 3 set of brushes ( 1 nylon, 1 stainless steel, 1 copper- at pep boys)

I have just about rubbed all the bristles out of the copper brush.

The acrylic that Gary used did not crack, for almost a year. I know, I checked them all the time. That's why I'm doing his 'system'. I just didn't think about the oil/silicone in the tire wet. bad mistake, and I will learn from my error. He said to apply tire wet after the paint, and take care to just use your finger to apply it between the letters.
more later.
K
Old 06-02-2005, 10:21 AM
Miss Texas Cobra Club-08
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

If this totally looks crappy, then yeah, good idea. I'll scrub it all off, and leave it black! Can't be worse.....

K
Old 06-02-2005, 11:53 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Kristen,

I hope the tires turn out great this time. I may go by one of the artist places next time Iam in Redding and see if they have a tube of that white acrylic paint. What I got a few little cans of and tried was from auto suppliers and was supposed to be made for white tire letters. About the only thing that I did better than you was I knew that all oily stuff has to be off so I didn't use the tire wet until after the paint was dry and then made sure to keep it off the paint. I used stiff brushes and Orange Fantasitc too and also some other stuff that was supposed to be a super cleaner. Still had cracking after a few miles of driving. Then one pait that I used looked great for a short time and turned yellow. I want my next white letters to be made of white rubber with a coatiing on it that is like clear coat to a paint job. Just wipe it off with water and the letters are all shiny. When you get this all worked out and looking good and it lasts, let me know and I will ship you my wheels and tires.

Ron

Old 06-02-2005, 04:24 PM
6th Generation Texan
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lone Star Classics #240,Candy Apple Red,Keith Craft 418w - 602 HP,584 TQ
Not Ranked     

Kristen,
YEP, I'll be at the TCC meeting saturday morning with Josh.
Today was his last day of school. Are yours out now ?

He starts a one week school sunday in Abilene. It's a orchestra school that Hardin-Simmons College has every year.

Then the last week of this month he has a Percussion Camp at UT Arlington.
He has been playing with the High School Drum Line since he started the 8th grade this year.
Then the first 2 weeks of august the high school has the marching band camp.

He is dead set on being on the drumline of the Texas Tech Red Raider Marching Band.

NOPE, won't be making Tulsa.
Old 06-02-2005, 05:54 PM
Miss Texas Cobra Club-08
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

hey, Fred. yeah, we got out last week. (boys, Thursday, girls, Friday).

I should be there Saturday. I called Gary to see about putting the tires back on, and pretty much when it fits it fits. I'm guessing I won't be in the cobra saturday. No biggy, as it's dirty, and I don't have time to clean it up!

that's great for Josh! I have no doubt he'll be in the Tech band. You gotta be good- and he's good already, I'm sure. Peter is looking forward to high school. Both my boys did school band, but the director was less than stellar. In fact, he's 'leaving', but it has already ruined them for band in the future. #2 loves playing on a borrowed trap, but ..... probably never really develop it now. too bad. They do both take piano, so at least some music is part of their development.

Sorry you aren't going to Tulsa. It's fun. My friend Joanne is gonna fly in and meet me there Saturday evening, then drive home with me on Sunday. We did that last year, but she flew in Friday last year.

Ron. the tires are acceptable for now--- lying on the floor! After a few miles, and water, who knows. I don't care any more!!! .

Do your tires??? yeah, go ahead and send them..... I'll get em right back, like in 2 years!!!!

I took pics of the process, but doesn't really show the time....
Kristen
Old 06-03-2005, 12:13 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 FIA, 347 stroker with Weber 48's, building a '48 Anglia gasser, driving a '55 Chevy resto-rod
Send a message via Yahoo to G.R.
Not Ranked     

Kristen as a for what it is worth, Acetone, used judiciously, will clean off paints, silicone, oil and other fluids, it is a good pre-paint product for prepping a surface, followed by an alcohol rinse. Just don't get it on a painted or finished surfaces.
Old 06-03-2005, 05:03 AM
Miss Texas Cobra Club-08
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Gary, thanks. When I was re-reading the thread about lettering tires (from a few months ago) there was some controversy about using acetone. The discussion was that any solvent type product could compromise the integrity of the tire. I'll try to find it and post it..... I wouldn't think a little, on just the letters would cause any harm. Turk had posted that he used 'an orange cleaner', so that's what I used originally. The problem was introducing the 'wet tire' product, with the silicone in it. A little acetone where the wet tire was, on the letters probably would be ok.... next time!

My dilemma is that there are a few bubbles under 2 tires. (right side) I have a feeling that is where the acrylic wouldn't 'stick' to the oily residue, and it will flake off, too. - Once I drive on them. I cannot worry about that right now- I'll have to deal with that after Tulsa. I feel ok about the left side, as the flaked outside in the rain, and I scrubbed and relettered them- (again). I think they will hold up for awhile. I just can't devote any more time to this, as I have my guests coming tomorrow!

It's 7 a.m., and to make matters worse, little cobra girl just appeared in our bed, with 101 fever. oh boy. This will be quite a day.
thanks for the heads up! Always a learning process, even when you think you know what you're doing. Gary told me to clean them up after I scrubbed them with just the orange cleaner again. I heard that, but then thought on my own (aren't I smart) to even out the black color from the scrubbing with the tire black stuff.

I'll look for that thread.

Kristen
ps. Gary- I located the Kit Car Magazine. Thanks!!! Found it at Borders.

Last edited by hey,littlecobra; 06-03-2005 at 05:08 AM..
Old 06-03-2005, 05:08 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Smile

Kristen,

If you will do my tires and wheels in two years that is about right. To get a car painted here, and I don't mean a show job, runs about two to three years and normally at least one threat of a lawsuite. They take in every car that comes along, immediately start sanding, and then push them out into the junk yard they have behind the shop. Must be 30 cars there now and two that I know for sure have been there over two years. Owners are about ready to go get them and take them to the Bay Area.

G.R.,

I tried the Acetone route followed by vicious alcohol scrubbing to get all of any oil or contaminations that may have been left out. Letters looked great for almost a week or about 75 miles and then started the darn cracking again. With allof the prep work I have done, I am starting to think it is the paint that we get up here.

Ron

Old 06-03-2005, 05:25 AM
Miss Texas Cobra Club-08
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

here's one thread..... about relettering by Allen English
http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/show...ettering+tires

here's another. It was Todd Hedges that said orange cleaner...
Removing "Goodyear" from tires

gotta go! It was David Kirkham that said don't use solvents... but he was specifying paint thinner.
Kristen
Old 06-03-2005, 05:28 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Talking

School Pictures

Neat web site, especially if you have lost your school photos. Don't know how they do it, but check it out.

School Photo database, have a look at this site...... it's great, just do a search and you'll be surprised! Ladies, don't forget to use your maiden name..

http://www.worldschoolphotographs.com/index1.htm

Ron

Old 06-03-2005, 06:44 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX4xxx, Alum. Shelby 427 w/ Webers,
Not Ranked     

Ron-

That's a good one. I haven't seen this one before.

A few months ago there was one going around about drivers licenses. The email that it was attached to made it sound like you could look up and view everyone’s drivers licenses (an exact copy) and people were upset about it. When it comes up your the monkey's uncle. Take care, Jon
Old 06-03-2005, 07:24 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX4xxx, Alum. Shelby 427 w/ Webers,
Not Ranked     
Default RE: Drivers license info....IMPORTANT!

Drivers license info....IMPORTANT!

Check your drivers license...Now you can see anyone's Driver's License on the Internet, including your own! I just searched for mine and there it was...picture and all!
Thanks Homeland Security! Privacy, where is our right to it?

I definitely removed mine, I suggest you all do the same.....Maybe we should start up a petition or something protesting this. What do you think?

Go to the website and check it out. Just enter your name, City and state to see if yours is on file. After your license comes on the screen, click the box marked "Please Remove".

This will remove it from public viewing, but not >From law enforcement.

http://www.license.shorturl.com
Old 06-03-2005, 09:16 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Smile

Jon,

I will have to add that one to my list of funny sites. Maybe we should start a collection of these type sites and see how many we can come up with.

Ron

Old 06-03-2005, 12:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Its red (or Blue) with a 427 and completely fictional.
Not Ranked     

Just checking in....

Theres a 63' Falcon Sprint for $1500 just down the road... that got the gears in my head turning....

Going to Carlisle (All Ford Nationals,) I wanna find a 302/351 to put in the Falcon that I don't own.

2 Days of school left.... 2 half days... no more finals.

Im thinkin Guardsman Blue with a Wimbeldon white Top, 3" exhaust with electric cutouts, Hoosier Drag Radials with Chrome 15" Torque Thrusts, Blue interior with white inserts to match the exterior, and a 302/351 with Roush 200 Heads backed by a toploader. Told ya it got the gears a' turnin... all I need is everything!

9-11 Never Forget

Fear starts with FE
Old 06-03-2005, 01:41 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Smile

Mike,

Good to see that you are still around. We were wondering about you. The 63 Sprint was a nice car. Everything that you want for the car is available. What you need is MONEY$$$$$..

Ron

Old 06-03-2005, 04:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Kristen thought I would pop in to say "Hey, Little Cobra"

T