Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2011, 12:29 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Original ERA 427sc, Powered by Gessford
Not Ranked     

Yeah, but what does Evan call it?

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning."
Old 03-11-2011, 12:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Black CSX 4910, Roush 511 8 stack
Not Ranked     

Anthing but "REAL"
Old 03-11-2011, 01:23 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

It's a REAL ORIGINAL Kirkham Cobra. And it just beat a new Ferrari in a race.

We haven't heard from Evan since the judge ruled EVERY Cobra manufactured after the CSX3000's as replicas.
Old 03-11-2011, 01:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Fordstroker 408w custom solid roller-Craft ported Brodix 17*heads-CFM ported Vic Jr. intake-1 3/4 primaries- 575hp-TKO-600RR Liberty upgrade- -Moser 8.8 trutrac-McLeod Street Extreme--QA-1-Wilwood brakes, Classic Chambered 3" Cobrapacks, Avon's
Not Ranked     

Computerworks, you took the words right out of my mouth about Gus Zuiderma's (HARR Ford) Cobra

Thanks Tommy and Blitz for a spirited event that warmed my winter and now has me drooling to get my cobra out this weekend.

It was all about Blitz getting the traction and controlling the launch and hitting those shifts (even if he did granny shift) he didn't break anything!! (great job).
Old 03-11-2011, 01:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF1715, Roush Built 434 ci Stroker, Dart Block, Ported AFR 205 Heads... 561 hp / 547 tq, Former Roush Show Car, Completed and Prepped By Olthoff Racing.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by computerworks View Post
CSX3198, the Harr Ford 427 ran in A/Sports with a best time of 10.38 seconds @ 138 mph and, using hi-rise tunnel port heads, in A/Sports/Modified with a best time of 10.02 @ 146 mph.

In 1966. the car helds both ends of the National Record, E.T. 10.86 seconds, 127 mph (A/SP, NHRA), ’66 Winternationals, (Pomona), ’66 Summer Nationals (Indy).

Info courtesy of the Shelby American Automobile Club (SAAC) World Registry of Cobras.
Hmmm, I guess we know who would have won the bet...
Old 03-11-2011, 02:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Still Dreamin'
Not Ranked     

Guys,

I looked forward to coming home every night after work and catching up on the latest news. it's been an awesome ride over the last 6 weeks or so. thanks to Tommy & Blitz for sharing with us all and i can't wait for the next installment.
Old 03-11-2011, 05:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham, 427
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don View Post
Congratulations to both of you........well done !

Keith: did you publish the specs on the engine ?

David Kirkham: The journalist that interviewed you last year for the article in the New York Times Magazine. If I recall correctly, he was really impressed with the ride you gave hiim and the Kirkham, maybe he would write an article for publication in a major magazine or ?

Guys, fantastic thread! I heard the news when I was in Los Angeles at a photo shoot with Hot Rod Magazine.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...269303&theater

Even the Hot Rod guys were impressed.

As for the New York Times...I told Matt Bai he was welcome any time to come by. Who knows what story he will write in the future.

David
"Fear is the thief of dreams."
Old 03-11-2011, 06:05 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
....they are grooved Goodyear slicks.
I saw that, and several other posts from Blitz about tires. Heck I TALKED to Blitz on the phone (drag race consultant ) and STILL can't figure out what tires he's running!!!! Sorry I couldn't make it down there Dan, man I missed a really good show.

They do not appear to be on Kraus' site. The Cobra slicks on the Kraus site are yellow letter road racing slicks with a very stiff side wall. I run them on my car, they can be (mine are) hand grooved "for street use". They are NOT drag racing slicks and do NOT have great traction when they are cold, and man it takes a long time to warm them up.

Blitz (Dan) has white letter grooved "slicks". Factory grooved? Hand grooved? Road racing? Drag racing? What the heck ARE those tires?

Here's the bottom line:
A COBRA just kicked Ferrari's ass,,,, again.
After that, the only thing we have left is "excuses". I hear those a lot at the drag strip. But I missed third! Your running an illegal modified motor! My tires were cold. I couldn't get the carb dialed in in time. It's not a factory setup. Well if you had an old,,, blah blah blah...

Last edited by Excaliber; 03-11-2011 at 06:09 PM..
Old 03-11-2011, 07:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF2984 MK111, Roush 511 IR FE 8 Stack, Dynoed: [flywheel] 572HP at 6000 , 556# Torque at 4700, Bowler 4R70W Auto Transmision. Tires: Mickey T's S/R 26.0x10.0x15.0 F ,26.0x12.0x15.0 R Color, Bleck, because they told me it was Bleck, at the factory.
Not Ranked     
Default Now that just ain't right.........

[quote=ACademic;1115487] I just think the "eating crow" comment was, shall we say, childish? I thought the cobra crowd was above that, despite whatever they spew on a Ferrari chat forum.

Wow, you really take yourself seriously, huh?

My post: sniff, I just visited the Ferrari site and those guys are real nice gents n'all, breathe rarefied air and live in a parallel world not unlike ours but decidedly in another world. What was interesting was all the speculation about the Ferrari beating the crap outa the Cobra and then the results became know to all the players, what a hoot. Eat crow guys, eat crow the Ferrari got beat by a grunt that has been around for over fifty years. Kudos to Blitz for his driving skills, to the Tom Kirkham for building a world class car and to Kiethcraft for developing an awesome engine and finally to ol' Shell, for creating the legend.

was made in the spirit of the moment and after having read the comments on the Ferrari forum that Computerworks had provided a link for. Seems those guys exhibited a disbelief that a replica of the original Cobra design, being over fifty years old beat the latest and greatest Ferrari had on offer, and, had exhibited what to me seemed like a disdain for the Cobra brand, thus I used the term "eat crow" which under the circumstances was the correct use of words given what the guys on the Ferrari site were saying.

Eating crow is an English-language idiom meaning humiliation by admitting wrongness or having been proved wrong after taking a strong position Eating crow is presumably foul-tasting in the same way that being proved wrong might be emotionally hard to swallow.[1]n.

Analogous to this would be David ”flipping off” Goliath, (oh dear, another silly expression) prior to nailing him with a rock or conversely the underdog beating the champ, as in the Rocky Movie. Seems we all like to root for the underdog

Not sure about you, but I get the impression that most of the folks on the Club Cobra are hardworking guys and use this forum to express themselves freely and on occasion let rip with their expressions and emotions when describing something, without any concern for censure, hell even Jamo stated to Blitz “nice girl, she cook good? I’ll give you two sheep and a goat for her”, but changed his mind and kept the sheep……I would have kept the girl. I also recall someone wrote And one other thing. Who cares if the headlights aren’t real? Wow.

So when you say some of my words are childish may I suggest you first perform your due diligence to fully understand the veracity of the statement and its use in the context of what is being discussed.

ACademic, no harm, no foul, pal, but y’all picked the wrong guy to dance with.

Cheers, John, AKA, tin-man, Zhuhia. P.R.C.
Old 03-11-2011, 09:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaplin View Post
Yeah, but what does Evan call it?
Who cares?
Old 03-11-2011, 09:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excaliber View Post
I saw that, and several other posts from Blitz about tires. Heck I TALKED to Blitz on the phone (drag race consultant ) and STILL can't figure out what tires he's running!!!! Sorry I couldn't make it down there Dan, man I missed a really good show.

They do not appear to be on Kraus' site. The Cobra slicks on the Kraus site are yellow letter road racing slicks with a very stiff side wall. I run them on my car, they can be (mine are) hand grooved "for street use". They are NOT drag racing slicks and do NOT have great traction when they are cold, and man it takes a long time to warm them up.

Blitz (Dan) has white letter grooved "slicks". Factory grooved? Hand grooved? Road racing? Drag racing? What the heck ARE those tires?

Here's the bottom line:
A COBRA just kicked Ferrari's ass,,,, again.
After that, the only thing we have left is "excuses". I hear those a lot at the drag strip. But I missed third! Your running an illegal modified motor! My tires were cold. I couldn't get the carb dialed in in time. It's not a factory setup. Well if you had an old,,, blah blah blah...
The tires I ran were Goodyear blue streak factory grooved roadcourse slicks. There really arnt many Goodyear vintage tires, I'm not sure why you are having a hard time finding them. I didn't get Em from roger Kraus, the Goodyear tire place had yellow letter drag slicks, blue streak roadcourse grooved slicks, and the billboards. I bought these tires about a year and a half ago when I ran the road course in parump. I'll send pics if you would like a close up, they arnt anything special, but are better than billboards for stability at speed and are slightly softer I think. The biggest problem w Em is it takes a long time to get them up to temperature, this wasn't an issue when I ran in Vegas as it was hot and sunny, the track was well prepped, and nice and warm.
Old 03-11-2011, 10:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427SC 383 stroker
Not Ranked     

So - you gonna gimme a chance to get you back for breakfast at cars & coffee tomorrow?

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. -(wasn't me)

BEWARE OF THE DOGma!! Dogmatism bites...
Old 03-11-2011, 10:21 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Ah,,, there it is, they are G7's (I'm pretty sure?).

Yup, factory treaded, but just barely. They really are a "race" tire cleverly disquised as a street tire. Their almost as good as the full blown road race yellow letter slicks. An excellent choice for a high horse power street driven Cobra. For some reason they are not a very common choice among Cobra owners, which I think has led to some confusion. They are a BIG tire and present clearance issues on some Cobra's.

They are BIGGER than the yellow letter slicks which just barely clear on my car! I don't think I could run G7's. Kirkhams have great clearance, early ERA's, not so much.

Well done Dan. You know when you posted some of your early 1/4 mile ET's in the 13 range, I thought you were going down in flames man. It was a dark moment and certainly added to the suspense.

Last edited by Excaliber; 03-11-2011 at 10:28 PM..
Old 03-11-2011, 11:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF2984 MK111, Roush 511 IR FE 8 Stack, Dynoed: [flywheel] 572HP at 6000 , 556# Torque at 4700, Bowler 4R70W Auto Transmision. Tires: Mickey T's S/R 26.0x10.0x15.0 F ,26.0x12.0x15.0 R Color, Bleck, because they told me it was Bleck, at the factory.
Not Ranked     

[quote=Excaliber;1115656]Ah,,, there it is, they are G7's (I'm pretty sure?).

Yup, factory treaded, but just barely. They really are a "race" tire cleverly disquised as a street tire. Their almost as good as the full blown road race yellow letter slicks. An excellent choice for a high horse power street driven Cobra.

Excaliber, I have sent you a PM.

Cheers, John, AKA, tin-man, Zhuhai P.R.C.
Old 03-11-2011, 11:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excaliber View Post
Ah,,, there it is, they are G7's (I'm pretty sure?).

Yup, factory treaded, but just barely. They really are a "race" tire cleverly disquised as a street tire. Their almost as good as the full blown road race yellow letter slicks. An excellent choice for a high horse power street driven Cobra. For some reason they are not a very common choice among Cobra owners, which I think has led to some confusion. They are a BIG tire and present clearance issues on some Cobra's.

They are BIGGER than the yellow letter slicks which just barely clear on my car! I don't think I could run G7's. Kirkhams have great clearance, early ERA's, not so much.

Well done Dan. You know when you posted some of your early 1/4 mile ET's in the 13 range, I thought you were going down in flames man. It was a dark moment and certainly added to the suspense.
You have the wrong tire again, they easily fit in the wheel well, however they arn't disguised as a street tire at all, they say right on the tire not legal for highway use. They are an inch smaller than the billboards height wise, I just googled it and this is a picture http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Goody...esQQxZ31QQyZ10
Old 03-12-2011, 02:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Homebush,B2 Windsor 445
Not Ranked     

Kudos Dan.....For me you were always going to win at least one if in not more!!!
.....as you posted re; the 2nd bet I reckon you played it with some real smarts!!!.... would have been real easy for the untrained gambler to get caught up in the emotion of such a prize to be had !!!....still a good bluff !!!

It was also great to see both of you get down the 1/4 safe and fast.

Finally you have both contributed to an awesome thread here and thanks for persisting with all the early negativity and rewarding those that embraced your postings and really look forward seeing the future events you guys host!!!

OZ

And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years- Abraham Lincoln
Old 03-12-2011, 03:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4000; Shelby aluminum FE with 58mm IDAs
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzforce View Post
however they arn't disguised as a street tire at all, they say right on the tire not legal for highway use.
The Goodyear Billboards have the same/similar verbiage on them, Blitz.
Old 03-12-2011, 05:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Cobra Make, Engine: 31XX Car
Not Ranked     
Default Tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzforce View Post
You have the wrong tire again, they easily fit in the wheel well, however they arn't disguised as a street tire at all, they say right on the tire not legal for highway use. They are an inch smaller than the billboards height wise, I just googled it and this is a picture http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Goody...esQQxZ31QQyZ10
Dan - Ernie and others are having a hard time figuring out what you ran because no one else really refers to those tires as "grooved slicks". They are G7 vintage treaded road race tires, which don't use the most modern compounds and construction attributes - it's quite surprising you did as well as you did in the drag race with them. Look at the sizes on the sidewall, are they marked 6.00x15 front and 8.00x15 rear?

Before you go on a road course again I strongly recommend you put a set of real grooved slicks on, listed on Roger Kraus' web site as "C-2" under "Cobra tires": http://rogerkrausracing.com/pages/pricing.html Those who have run these on road courses say they are night and day better than the tires you currently have, not only in grip (seconds a lap faster) but general balance/feel. I like the "Historic Old" tread pattern over the standard pattern Kraus uses (his choice is less time consuming for him): but it's just a personal aesthetic preference. Note that even these slicks are not as good as the most modern 18"-20" rim race slicks.

Last edited by DMXF; 03-12-2011 at 06:03 AM..
Old 03-12-2011, 07:44 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Dan, I suspect they are indeed a "G7", blue streak, old school type tire. They offer about the best you can get in traction. It was miss leading for me to say they are "cleverly disguised as a street tire", the same could be said about the Goodyear Bill Boards, which are also treaded, but in fact are a "race only tire".

I had my yellow letter slicks hand grooved so they would have the APPEARANCE (cleverly disquised) of a "street tire", all though, if you read the side wall, yup, they are "race only".

The G7 tread pattern is factory, it could be a bit miss leading to call them "grooved". Some modern race tires (usually DOT approved for the street) are really grooved. In that they have maybe two or more literal grooves for "tread" rather than a full face tread pattern.

Kirkhams have a LOT of clearance. The G7's are really WIDE, not so much tall. Avon's are really TALL, not so much wide. Not all Cobras can run Avon's either because of clearance issues.

Last edited by Excaliber; 03-12-2011 at 07:48 AM..
Old 03-12-2011, 02:09 PM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 184/482ci Shelby
Not Ranked     

Where's Tommy?

He brought us this thread and all the fun that went with it.