Old 09-01-2015, 02:06 PM
Senior CC Premier Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX #4xxx with CSX 482; David Kee Toploader
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKnock View Post
BTW, have you gotten your "keister" off that dock in Seattle yet?
Still here!
Getting cold and raining so time to go. Everyone is putting their cars away for winter. Heading back to reality soon!
Old 09-01-2015, 02:12 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby Cobra CSX4206 aluminum body, original 1965 NASCAR 427 SO, Dual quads.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhv48 View Post
The original Shelby cars created/changed motor racing history.

A Rolex just tells time.

Apples to cranberries.
Ok, you just destroyed the analogy Mullen offered with your insightful analysis.

Are you truly that lost? I can't

Last edited by REAL 1; 09-01-2015 at 03:16 PM..
Old 09-01-2015, 02:25 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by REAL 1 View Post
Ok, you just destroyed the analogy Mullen offered with your insightful "analogy".

Are you truly that lost? I can't
Again, Evan, why are you getting sidetracked with insulting other member's opinions. Just stay on topic and let the poster know why his opinion doesn't agree with your opinion, because that's all we're talking about here. Opinions, whether it be from noted Cobra experts like Ned or from a lowly pleb like me.
Old 09-01-2015, 02:30 PM
Full Blown Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Premier Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 427 S/C, Twin Paxton 511 FE
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Seriously, Rodney, what the heck do you need with another Cobra?
Well, I don't need one now, do I? As I get older, my needs become more complicated.

Don't worry, it's just a dream. But it's not off the dream table.
Old 09-01-2015, 02:35 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby Cobra CSX4206 aluminum body, original 1965 NASCAR 427 SO, Dual quads.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkGuy View Post
Rolex does their manufacturing in house, from movements to crystals.

SAI farms their cars out of house, bumper to bumper.

having a license plate "Real 1" on a replica Cobra is misleading Joe Public
Another vicious beating dished out to the now debunked and disgraced Mullen Rolex analogy. I thought you were brighter than that. You have obviously been watching too much "Days of Our Lives" and have gone soft upstairs maybe.

Obviously no one or few here understands what an analogy is and the purpose in drawing analogies.

Are you aware that AC used subcontractors to form panels in the 60's also and used components from other manufacturers? Hmmm.

So now I am "intentionally" misleading people with my license plate? This is getting "richer" by the minute. My sides hurt from laughing.

Here is the deal. Last I checked my MSO and title and where my car came from was Shelby American. Last I check the World Registry of Cobras and GT40s said it was a genuine Shelby Cobra too and not classified as a "KIT". Thus my plate "REAL 427". I have never had a discussion with other motorist while actually driving on road fielding the question "Is it REAL". Further, I really don't care what motorists think, or feel or ponder when they see my plate. The plate is for me and reflects my legally and factually correct statement of what the car which I am proud of BTW. It is a simple statement of fact. No apologies forthcoming on that one. Sorry.

Since you raised this subject lets have a show of hands by chiming in as how many here that don't even own a real Shelby Cobra either original or continuation have plates that reflect "1965" or "1966" other wise say "CSX", "Cobra", "Shelby" or any other combination of letters or numbers that leads people to believe it is Shelby Cobra when in actually it is a fake in every respect and merely has a plastic "look a like" shell covering a chassis that is as far removed from a genuine Cobra chassis as the chassis of my go kart when I was a kid. Don't be shy kiddies. Fess up.

BTW did NYGuy ever buy a Cobra kit? Still searching?
TN Shelby Cobra likes this.

Last edited by REAL 1; 09-01-2015 at 03:20 PM..
Old 09-01-2015, 02:44 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe's Garage View Post
It's so obvious even a Nissan Leaf owner knows the difference. Wait, I meant to say bloody obvious, Evan thinks I'm a Brit

Just think of all the people that see that plate and think WOW, and original 60's Cobra!!

Rest assured, I am not "intentionally" misleading anyone
Yes, you caught me. I am intentionally misleading people. Ouch, ouch ouch. ....

BTW still waiting to hear what you own that is Shelby related.

Waiting.

Last edited by REAL 1; 09-01-2015 at 03:21 PM..
Old 09-01-2015, 02:58 PM
Full Blown Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Premier Contributor

Not Ranked     

FYI, the most sought after and valuable Rolexes are vintage Daytonas, which had an outsourced Valjoux and later Zenith movements.

Questioning Shelby's continuity seems fair. It's unique because it's production stopped, then was left unguarded (hello, replicas), then resurrected as a 'Buyer Must Complete' vehicle. Different than most come-back products. Companies live, die and breathe again (and usually just as a brand). With Shelby, (until recently) the old man was still there. Sourcing out, like the old days.

Evan: Original, No. Real, Yes. It's a grey area. It's just my opinion, which doesn't change what I think of his Cobra. It's "up there".

Last edited by rodneym; 09-03-2015 at 07:44 PM.. Reason: Watch trivia is rusty
Old 09-01-2015, 03:01 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Again, Evan, why are you getting sidetracked with insulting other member's opinions. Just stay on topic and let the poster know why his opinion doesn't agree with your opinion, because that's all we're talking about here. Opinions, whether it be from noted Cobra experts like Ned or from a lowly pleb like me.
I don't know if you are a Lib, but this is spoken like a true lib.

I see...., my "opinions" insult others. I am not setting forth "opinions". See here is the difference....I am setting forth fact. You are blinded by this "replica" or "not a replica issue". Its irrelevant. The important fact is the Shelbys are genuine Cobras whether you want to call them replicas or not it matters not a wit. The World Registry deals very comprehensively and logically with this issue. I would recommend you read it if you have a Registry. It will hopefully remove your confusion on the issue of this replica conundrum you and others are having. Its really simple once you understand it. Ned is an expert on original cars but Ned can't change the facts or reality about the current Shelby Continuation cars being genuine Cobras/Shelby Cobras. Also if you are such a "pleb" (an admission) I would again urge you to educate yourself and read the World Registry on the issue. Really.

You have been given tremendously good analogies that you choose to pull apart with meaningless details that have no impact on the analogy itself. Of course there are differences in time, metallurgy, suppliers, employees, successor company etc...The analogies given were good ones. You refuse to open your eyes and prefer to "squint" to further see what you want to see.

While my "opinions" about the status of my Shelby you say insults others you seem perfectly content to sit there and say nothing about the personal insults hurled in my direction. That I guess this fair in your book. You also seem to have no problem or fail to see or acknowledge the fact that the "opinion" of these "others" is demeaning to the cars an entire class of people here own and take pride in. That is obviously fair in your book too. A typical lib double standard.

See I have a different book. It says don't let people distort the truth and facts and speak up for what's fair and right and do it factually and avoid personal invectives. If that hurts feelings ... tough nuts.

I am not a politically correct person. I tend to say it like it is.

Last edited by REAL 1; 09-01-2015 at 03:10 PM..
Old 09-01-2015, 03:13 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodneym View Post
Questioning Shelby's continuity seems fair. It's unique because it's production stopped, then was left unguarded (hello, replicas), then ressurected as a 'Buyer Must Complete' vehicle.
Rodney, thanks for mentioning one other difference between the original Shelby Cobra and the modern Shelby Cobra replica, and that is a BUYER MUST COMPLETE his or her own Cobra since US laws prohibit selling them as a completed (by manufacturer or dealer, at least here in CA) and license-able vehicle today. And why the "Competition" series aka Resurrection Cobras must be sold as off road vehicles.

Talking watches puts me quickly asleep, but I have a question for you watch enthusiasts. When Rolex's are sold today, do Rolex buyers take the watch body or chassis and band back to their houses and then the Rolex buyers install the "movement and crystals" at home?

Lastly, I'm not questioning the continuity of the Shelby Cobra replica, since there was a gap in production from 1967 to 1996 or thereabouts. That doesn't meet the definition of continuity. What I'm questioning is the pedigree or lineage, since the company, employees, the building and sales, registration and licensing process(es), parts, etc. aren't the same as what was used in the 1960's.
Blue66 likes this.
Old 09-01-2015, 03:27 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Rodney, thanks for mentioning one other difference between the original Shelby Cobra and the modern Shelby Cobra replica, and that is a BUYER MUST COMPLETE his or her own Cobra since US laws prohibit selling them as a completed (by manufacturer or dealer, at least here in CA) and license-able vehicle today. And why the "Competition" series aka Resurrection Cobras must be sold as off road vehicles.

Talking watches puts me quickly asleep, but I have a question for you watch enthusiasts. When Rolex's are sold today, do Rolex buyers take the watch body or chassis and band back to their houses and then the Rolex buyers install the "movement and crystals" at home?

Lastly, I'm not questioning the continuity of the Shelby Cobra replica, since there was a gap in production from 1967 to 1996 or thereabouts. That doesn't meet the definition of continuity. What I'm questioning is the pedigree or lineage, since the company, employees, the building and sales, registration and licensing process(es), parts, etc. aren't the same as what was used in the 1960's.
Again, since you are not questioning the "continuity" of SAI (wisely) in the whole equation lets just say hypothetically SAI never closed down and they kept making Cobras over time or lets say they stopped production and made wheel chairs for 20 years and then went back to Cobras but suppliers and employees changed over time to what they are today. The cars coming from SAI in 1996 to present are not Shelby Cobras?

Come on. There is only one logical answer to that one.
Old 09-01-2015, 03:33 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
I don't know if you are a Lib, but this is spoken like a true lib.

I see...., my "opinions" insult others. I am not setting forth "opinions". See here is the difference....I am setting forth fact. You are blinded by this "replica" or "not a replica issue". Its irrelevant. The important fact is the Shelbys are genuine Cobras whether you want to call them replicas or not it matters not a wit. The World Registry deals very comprehensively and logically with this issue. I would recommend you read it if you have a Registry. It will hopefully remove your confusion on the issue of this replica conundrum you and others are having. Its really simple once you understand it. Ned is an expert on original cars but Ned can't change the facts or reality about the current Shelby Continuation cars being genuine Cobras/Shelby Cobras. Also if you are such a "pleb" (an admission) I would again urge you to educate yourself and read the World Registry on the issue. Really.

You have been given tremendously good analogies that you choose to pull apart with meaningless details that have no impact on the analogy itself. Of course there are differences in time, metallurgy, suppliers, employees, successor company etc...The analogies given were good ones. You refuse to open your eyes and prefer to "squint" to further see what you want to see.

While my "opinions" about the status of my Shelby you say insults others you seem perfectly content to sit there and say nothing about the personal insults hurled in my direction. That I guess this fair in your book. You also seem to have no problem or fail to see or acknowledge the fact that the "opinion" of these "others" is demeaning to the cars an entire class of people here own and take pride in. That is obviously fair in your book too. A typical lib double standard.

See I have a different book. It says don't let people distort the truth and facts and speak up for what's fair and right and do it factually and avoid personal invectives. If that hurts feelings ... tough nuts.

I am not a politically correct person. I tend to say it like it is.
A "fact" is there are about 1,000 original Shelby Cobras, though not all exist today.

Fast forward to the mid-1990's and a few people got together and decided to call the modern Shelby Cobra, a "Continuation Series." Why? They didn't think "true replica" would sell cars. That's in the SAAC Registry, which you choose to ignore or maybe you didn't read.

Yes, I've read the Registry. For marketing purposes, your car is called a "continuation series." That's not a fact IMO. I choose to call it a replica. Shelby and SAAC consist of humans and these humans, wrongly I might add, decided to put the modern Shelby replica in the Registry and call them Continuation Cobras. What you call a "fact" is just a matter of opinion by a few select humans, and that "fact" (opinion in my world) can change in time or at least I hope.

As for labels and labeling people, call me anything you want, just don't call me "Shirley."

Just stop calling folks "lost," "misguided," "curmudgeon" or whatever insult you want to hurl at people.
Old 09-01-2015, 03:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CR Cobra 3169
Not Ranked     

What about the PT Cruiser. Does the owners drive around expecting the public to think they are real 1900's classics?
I think we should all just agree there are 3 Cobras. The [when asked] real one, 1960's Cobra, the continuation Cobra and then all the rest, the copies. replicas, kits etc. Any smart arse answer to the public asking, will just let them walk away thinking what a wanker we are.
JD
Old 09-01-2015, 03:45 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Again, since you are not questioning the "continuity" of SAI (wisely) in the whole equation lets just say hypothetically SAI never closed down and they kept making Cobras over time or lets say they stopped production and made wheel chairs for 20 years and then went back to Cobras but suppliers and employees changed over time to what they are today. The cars coming from SAI in 1996 to present are not Shelby Cobras?

Come on. There is only one logical answer to that one.
There is one logical answer and that is the modern Shelby is a replica.

Your hypothetical doesn't work for two reasons. One, laws changed and cars changed. Today's Porsche and Corvette look nothing like their vintage brethren. And two, using your hypothetical, materials and processes changed. Kirkham can make an aluminum body in about 15 minutes or so, whereas in the 1960's, it probably took them a month to produce a Cobra's aluminum body (I have no clue, just making it up as I go along ). And the aluminum's metalurgy has changed over the last 30-50 years.

Even when I was interested in magnesium wheels for my Kirkham and checked with a company back East (I forget, maybe Rodney knows the name of Fran's manufacturer) that made magnesium wheels, they said the magnesium had changed over the last 50 years and it's different (allegedly better).

Face it. You own one of Earth's Best Genuine Shelby Cobra replicas.
Old 09-01-2015, 03:52 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     
Talking

And again

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-k5J4RxQdE[/ame]

[youtube]k5J4RxQdE[/youtube]
Dimis and rodneym like this.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 09-01-2015, 03:53 PM
Full Blown Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Premier Contributor

Not Ranked     

But Rodkock, NO companies are the same over time.
Not Ferrari.
Not Ford.
Not Rolex.
I 'get' part of your argument, but not with the "building, people, etc are different". It's just not reality.

Most Heuer freaks would take a vintage Carrera any day. But if a Heuer freak had a look-a-like, is he really gonna bash the new TAG/Heuers? Sure, if he wants to feel better about himself.

For everybody else: Evan's license/moniker is 'REAL1', not 'ORGNL1'. There's a bit of a wink and a nod in there, but it's not inaccurate. No reason to get our collective panties in a bunch.
Old 09-01-2015, 03:55 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Again, since you are not questioning the "continuity" of SAI (wisely)...
Huh? Wha? What continuity are we talking about? Shelby didn't make a Cobra for at least 30 years. Is that "continuity"?

Maybe we should use a dog's pedigree now as an analogy for Shelby's replicas. Are the dog's bloodlines the same, when they go extinct, and then 30 years later, a breeder decides to breed the same dog again? And they have every chromosome exactly the same. I think they would call those new REPLICA dogs "clones" or something.
Old 09-01-2015, 04:00 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
But Rodkock, NO companies are the same over time.
Not Ferrari.
Not Ford.
Not Rolex.

I 'get' part of your argument, but not with the "building, people, etc are different". It's just not reality.
Did any of those manufacturers stop selling cars to the public for 30+ years? And the cars and companies evolved over the years. A 1962 Ferrari GTO can't be produced and sold to the public today, at least as a registerable completed car.
Old 09-01-2015, 04:05 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkGuy View Post
Rolex does their manufacturing in house, from movements to crystals.

SAI farms their cars out of house, bumper to bumper.

having a license plate "Real 1" on a replica Cobra is misleading Joe Public
In terms of hurling insults, there is one "carveout." And that's NYG. Have at it.
Old 09-01-2015, 04:10 PM
Full Blown Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Premier Contributor

Not Ranked     

So because a new XYZ, that is a continuum of evolution of a 60's XYZ, made by different people/machines/engineers, moved production to a different country even, under new conglomerate ownership, is more...real?

Are you saying it's more about a conituation of a brand?

Last edited by rodneym; 09-01-2015 at 04:13 PM..
Old 09-01-2015, 04:31 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
So because a new XYZ, that is a continuum of evolution of a 60's XYZ, made by different people/machines/engineers, moved production to a different country even, under new conglomerate ownership, is more...real?

Are you saying it's more about a conituation of a brand?
I've said why I think Shelby Cobras are replicas, one of which is that the Shelby company is not the same company, partly due to the 30 year lapse in production. More real? Companies evolve and that's fine, but cars companies cannot build and sell 1960's cars to the public for road consumption today. Porsches and Corvettes are real, but they've changed dramatically over the years for many reasons.
Closed Thread