Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2007, 05:54 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Send a message via Yahoo to flyboy1997
Not Ranked     

Thank You, either Rich or My Son & I may decide to load the enclosed & take a Field Trip!
Old 08-20-2007, 09:25 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Okay Rich it is ( or His Brother is ) picking it up Weds..

So what did a Excalibur cost on average New ?)
Old 08-27-2007, 09:21 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Moving back up to the top....... Anyone knows what a Excalibur sold for new on average?

Rich will be delivering # 140 on Thurs. P.M. to its new owner!
Old 08-28-2007, 06:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Excalibur Cobra 5.0 FI
Not Ranked     

As I understand it, they sold for between $58,000 and $62,000, with special deals available from time to time if you negotiated directly with Jens, the owner. Probably over priced which is why they didn't sell more.
Old 08-31-2007, 07:08 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Okay Excalibur #140 arrived yesterday p.m. from Oregon via Richs Transport, good ole boys, even took time to watch us eat & visit, took very good care of it but did have trouble with it, never hauled a Ex before & it was lower than rest.
Buger is low, have not inspected as yet but can the X be raised?
Anyone interested mine came with owners manual & replacement part # sheet, be glad to reproduce for whomever.
To tell the truth I was disappointed in cockpit room, LS427 has it beat & FF Mk 1 tied it, beats me but I guess all the inches went to the hood? Now then the car, a DOLL, smooth, handles, corners, reacts well, Just Plain SWEET & Plush all the guys thumbs up it from FF I just sold.
Ex Guys, is the trunk suppose to stay up after opening, mine will take Your Head off !
Also, can I remove headers, cats, crazy pipes, & all the crazy plumbing for some Pretty & Funtional stuff..... My 347 looked Manly up next to the 5.0 whimp! Wendell 870-904-8810 cell
Old 08-31-2007, 09:34 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

That was the number one complaint with mine, just to dang LOW! Gives it a harsh ride as well because I would often 'bottom out' the suspension. While it was great at the track, that was a stiff bugger around town.
Old 09-04-2007, 09:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Excalibur, 302 EFI
Not Ranked     
Default Ex worries

Excalibur 076 to be shipped today from Reno. You guys have got me awfully worried about ride height, manifold cracks, clunky emission control stuff, and stopped up baffles. On other hand the "plush" aspects of the Ex got the purchase past my wife who got tired of the rustic feel of my earlier British classics.

I look forward to learning from all here.

Flyboy, I am in Little Rock. Maybe we can compare Exs sometime.
Old 09-04-2007, 10:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Cobra #273, 427 S/O, ERA GT-40 #2057, Excalibur Cobra.
Not Ranked     

Exhaust Manifold Cracks, Emission Control Junk And Funky Baffles Can All Be Very Easily Solved By Don Scott. Get His New Headers And Side Pipes And Throw The Original Junk Away. Add Lot's Of Good Sound, Several More H.p. And A Few More Mpg In The Process.

I'll Bet He Can Also Help You On The Selection Of New Front Springs To Increase The Ride Height. I Raised My Front End A Full Two Inches. I Used Modified Mustang Springs And Then Cut Them To The Height I Wanted. Damned If I Remember What Springs I Started With. I'll Try To Find It In My Records. The End Result Springs Were Higher (2") And Stiffer - Again, I Don't Recall The Numbers. The Handling Improved Considerably And I Can Run Over A Silver Peso Without Breaking Fiberglass.

Y'all Have A Really Great Day.

Blackjack
Old 09-04-2007, 12:50 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I used front springs from a Mustang II with a V6 engine for specs. WAY to tall, like Blackjack I cut them to shorten their length. Best to use a cutoff tool instead of a torch when shortening springs.

The header cracks and strangled exhaust (Cat Converters) problems can be solved by installation of after market parts. BUT, that would a be a serious problem in States where your required to pass emission laws.

One thing I wanted to do but didn't get a chance to experiment with: Increasing spring hieght in BACK as well as front for increased suspension travel. As I was racing my Excal quite a bit at the time I chose to leave it 'slammed' and just live with it on the street.
Old 09-05-2007, 10:28 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Blackjack & Excal, I would Very much Love to unload all the Exotic exhaust plumbing but if done will it not throw the computer fuel inj. crazy & keep the check eng light on also & I have not run thru under hood good yet but I think it has a smog pump, can that be done also with computer, I am just a carb man so Greek to me? Oh yea Ark has no vehicle inspection.
I have mine on jack stands now & tried raising frontend with spanner ( not sure how much more my hands can handle though, drove a cotter pin well into my hand!) & I think it has ajustments in rear also? I am supporting axles & the rear springs have more room for travel but they are not sitting on pads either? If headers work also who & how do we get Don?
T/Up, Fill me in on Yours, did You pull a me & buy unseen other than pics? I came out perfect so far & Your Wife is gonna Love It! No pun here @ FF ( I sold my FF to purchase this one ) but wife & I set out on a date & when she closed door she said huh, sounds like a real car, drove some & said she really thought it was a better ride that her Viper, after hour drive to pub said daylight & dark, toy to a real car from FF to the Excal ( again My FF was ebay buy not my build I know some better than others). I have a Lonestar almost complete after paint she has refused to ride in, something about The Builder! Weather permiting FF & my Ex will be passing thru LR Fri & back Sunday,give me a call & we can compare notes! Wendell 870-904-8810 cell
Old 09-05-2007, 11:00 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

You can easily dump the 'smog pump' and it's associated plumbing without affecting the fuel injection/computer control. I did that on mine right away, getting a new smaller belt is a bit of a hassle but you can do it. I also did away with the converters, which really lightens the load and stress on the existing headers (but they will still crack in time). Mine were a patch work of welds, and the new owner has also had them repaired several times.

Adjusting the rear coil spring for ride height doesn't do much in terms of ride quality or suspension travel.

Now the new owner is considering a move to Calif and the 'non conforming' emssions controls are a major hurdle to getting the car registered there. He is considering selling the car rather than deal with reinstallation of the smog stuff.

By the way, the charcoal filter for the gas tank is mounted near the right front fender area. This broke loose and fell onto the track 'at speed' while I was racing. BIG black flag for me, "Dude, stuff is falling off your car!" Well, I didn't have to worry about THAT part anymore...
Old 09-05-2007, 12:53 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Excal, since trading up may need this info also I will stay with thread rather than p.m., the cats are the horizonals correct, so what is the stubby round things headers go to first? I think the ox sensor is in front of cats so that would not matter to computer but You spoke of new headers ( with or without sensors) & sidepipes from Don? Wendell
Old 09-05-2007, 02:44 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

The original exhaust routes like:
Left side under the engine, through cat, out the RIGHT side pipe! Right side exits left side pipe. Cats, dual, hang under engine. You MUST have an oxygen sensor for FI. I modified my existing exhaust, minus cats, so that left side exited left side side pipe. If using new or existing headers/pipes modified, have a 'bung' welded if needed for the oxygen sensor. As close as reasonable to the engine is the best position for the sensor.

New headers from Don (Classic Roadsters II) will need to be modified to fit an oxygen sensor bung.
Old 09-05-2007, 08:59 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Mine is different then X, both sides leave header to a SOMETHING ? then down & forward making a loop to rear then thru cats & out same side thru sidepipe muffins! Not sure what the Somethings are, younger step son said resonators, but most I have seen were last not first in system?
Trading up, when is yours to arrive?
Old 09-05-2007, 09:07 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

flyboy, what year is yours? I'm thinking certain year models had to meet ever stricter emission requirements or were specifically for the Calif market. That 'something' may be a one of TWO cats per side. In some cars (Ford, GM, etc.) TWO cats were needed to get the job done. Two per side in an Excals case for a total of four? Whew, that is one mean muffled exhaust system!

Excal had certain 'exemptions' in reference to Federal standards, but not everything was exempt. I think when the time was up on those exemptions they either could not meet the new higher requirements or the cost of certification was prohibitive.

Last edited by Excaliber; 09-05-2007 at 09:10 PM..
Old 09-06-2007, 05:42 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Excal it is a 1996 model ( I think I saw 7-11-96 on radiator fluid Excalibur wrote under hood. Yea it shocked me, I was wondering why it had pipes underneath when I could see muffins & what I thought was Cats? The top ones have Ox sensors & some exhasut piping to intake & the bottom ones have the plumbing to the heads, top are round, bottoms are more of a pancake & yes she purrs rather than The Growl I have been use to from most all others! I think I will try to remove the lowers for now till winter gives me time to go with the true headers.
Would Your Buddy be interested in My emision stuff I remove?
Old 09-06-2007, 09:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Excalibur, 302 EFI
Not Ranked     

FB, 076 is suppose to arrive tomorrow (Friday) some time. Black on black and beautiful. I'm hoping transport went smoothly and all is well. If you are in LR over the weekend my cell is 501-920-2587.

Jim
Old 09-06-2007, 09:43 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Interesting question flyboy, I'll ask him what his latest plans are for the car. He's retiring Navy in about a year and starting to think seriously of his move to Calif.
Old 09-08-2007, 06:52 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

This Question is for Trading Up who can't log on at present..
He has a 95 I have a 96, only two we have seen so.. on his 95 how do You turn on the AC compressor for cold air! Mine has alarm on left of temp control panel & on the right a rocker switch with a blue light in it..... his has no alarm ( or disable security) on left & no rocker on right but a blue light in place of alarm on left, anyone know how to turn the AC on? Wendell

P.S. Excalibur He is in Love also !
Old 09-16-2007, 07:13 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Bringing this back on top after CC down time..... Plus
Excal......... did Your Buddy want my pollution stuff?