Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CR 427 S/C, 351W, 5 Sp & KMP142 - 427 SO, 4 Spd
Not Ranked     

HOGDEALER

If this Roy guy considers dealing with Dwayne a "pain in
his ass" after what he has done, I am hoping that when
this is over Roy's "pain in his a$$ is earned from doing
jail time - then he will know what a pain in the a$$ really is!
Old 12-11-2004, 10:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: No Cobra. 2 Vipers 2000 GTSR and 2002 GTS Final Edition #087/#360
Not Ranked     

Here is the first response from Roy Hunt at Finish Line Motorsports.

Danny,

I just received a copy of your post on the Shelby Owner's Forum from Jim Wallace of Shelby. First, I'm very, very, upset about Dwayne's health and his diagnosis. As his friend and business associate I understand how you must feel. I had no idea he was ill except that his attorney from Texas mentioned to me that Dwayne had had bladder cancer. He expessed to me that Dwayne was a great guy and all he wanted was his car. That's the most I every knew of his condition because Dwayne never mentioned to me. He's a very brave guy.

I have no excuses to offer and I will not argue the point that we have failed to properly deal with Dwayne and his wishes. At this point there is a heightened sense of urgency on everyone's part not the least of which is mine. Although Dwayne was a little upset the last time we met a few weeks ago I felt when he left here he was comfortable with where we were with his car. While this has completely caught me off guard I will work with Shelby, you, or Dwayne more closely to get the car done for him.

It will take me a couple of days to figure out a game plan for completion. Kroyer and his manager is out of town at a trade show in Indianapolis but I saw the engine today and it looks pretty close to being ready for dyno. Originally, one engine was ahead of Dwayne's for dyno but I'm sure we can get that changed.

I have other parts coming for the car. Most of which I ordered a week ago and while it is not all of the parts it's most of them. I'll have to meet with my Dan in the morning to sort out the balance of the parts and that will give me a better idea of where we are with the timeline of completion. If you want I can keep in touch with you on all of this.

Again, I can't say enough about how sorry I am about Dwayne's situation. I've been in this business around 30 years and I've never had anything happen like this. I have customer's who've purchased 2 to 3 cars from me and we've been able to make them happy. Most of our customers waited a long time for their cars but we never have compromised the quality even though we may have lost money. We'll work hard to get Dwayne his car soon. If you have any suggestions or want to talk with me please don't hesitate to get in touch.

Roy
Old 12-11-2004, 10:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: No Cobra. 2 Vipers 2000 GTSR and 2002 GTS Final Edition #087/#360
Not Ranked     

This was my response to Roy:

Roy,
The engine was on the dyno and completed last week. Kroyer faxed the Dyno Results to Dwayne on Monday. Please do all you can to get his car done. If you need more money let me know. The balance can be paid up front before completion, if that means Dwayne will get his car sooner. Time is of the essence. Dwyane will be put on an airplane on Monday with a care giver and flown to Rochester to the Mayo Clinic. The are going to give him a last ditch treatment. We are all praying for him and his doctors at this time.

Danny Miller
Old 12-11-2004, 10:12 AM
Hoosier Gashole Emeritus
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I would be honored to "teach" Roy what a REAL pain in the ass is like.

Just give me the opportunity and tell me how many pounds of his flesh you'd enjoy and where you want it delivered.

"In debates on ethically contentious issues, it is never wise nor polite to deride or belittle another person's delusion."
Old 12-11-2004, 10:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Here is Roys response to my reply:

Danny,

I was in a meeting with my Dan here in the shop when I received your e-mail. I too am praying for Dwayne. Without sounding like I'm patronizing you or Dwayne I truly wish everyone the best and am sorry we haven't done better by him.

Dan just told me this morning that the engine was done. For some reason Kroyer wasn,t sure when I met with him on Friday. We have most of the parts to start the assembly with the exception of the engine. We won't need it until next week. The brakes were ordered a couple of weeks ago and I'm told they will be here next week also.

Thanks for the offer of the money. It's critical to the completion of the car. I'm going to think about it and will let you know if I need it. I'm going to try to finish the car per the contract but I don't want to put the car's completion in jeapardy either. I'm going to stop work on a couple of cars that I wanted done by x-mas and that will hurt my cash flow. But, I'm going to try.

I'll keep you posted on any problems.

Thanks,
Roy
Old 12-11-2004, 10:16 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

I have yet to see anything online in regards to the media getting involved. I'm wondering if a few other folks might want to call the local ABC,NBC, and CBS affiliates to drum up some further "timely" interest in this.

Bill S.

Quote:
Originally posted by PatBuckley

Contacting the media was a good idea - but what about the Nevada AG?

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 12-11-2004, 10:18 AM
Hoosier Gashole Emeritus
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

EXCUSE me, is anybody awake there? You've been down this road for over two and a half years, heard the same excuses and you're going to buy this? I'd think that once you've been burned you'd be reluctant to touch the flame again.

"In debates on ethically contentious issues, it is never wise nor polite to deride or belittle another person's delusion."
Old 12-11-2004, 10:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CAV GT40 with 331 KC
Not Ranked     

Danny-

Roy is feeding you a line of crap - his statments are so full of loopholes that it makes me want to puke.

When you see things like ----"I'll try", "we have most of the parts", "I'm told they will be here next week", "I'm going to try to finish the car per the contract", " But, I'm going to try", ----you should RUN!!!!

Screw him - take you case to the States Attorney General - press charges and run his butt out of business.
Old 12-11-2004, 11:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold - Unique FIA - SA 396 Stroker
Not Ranked     

I have never met or talked to Roy but he sure comes across as a lying dip $hit. Go to the authorities and get his ass served.

Roy I hope your nuts rot off - Phucking flim flam artist.

Randy
Old 12-11-2004, 12:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #1488 418 C.I.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan Semko

EXCUSE me, is anybody awake there? You've been down this road for over two and a half years, heard the same excuses and you're going to buy this? I'd think that once you've been burned you'd be reluctant to touch the flame again.
First of all I want to say that I am proud to be a member of this group. The care and compassion that you all have shown has overwhelmed me.
I dont know Dwayne or Danny, except for what I have heard from others in the Viper community. I have been told from several people in the know, that everyone here has made a difference in Dwaynes life.

Secondly, Dan Semko is RIGHT!!!
Does anyone here really think that this car is going to get finished unless some real hardcore pressure is put on Finish Line Motors?
I have some vacation time I am going to take, the last week of the year. I would be willing to bet that if a half dozen or so of us would show up in Las Vegas for a week at a time until the Cobra was done, we would get our point accross.
I just checked airfare, under $300.00 roundtrip out of Chicago.
Do we have any takers?
SPF #1488
Titanium/Black
418 C.I.
Old 12-11-2004, 12:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I just got a phone call from David Kirkham from Kirkham Motorsports in Provo, UT. David and his brother Thomas have volunteered to send his tuck and trailer to Las Vegas, pick up Dwaynes car, engine and pieces to pay for any parts that are not on the car and have it done by christmas. WOW!! I told him we would be willing to pay for any parts that he needed to buy. He said "We will not take one dime, we want to do this" "Dwayne needs his car".
Old 12-11-2004, 12:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF, Roush IR 427, T56
Not Ranked     

I won't cause undolength to this thread but I'm with Dan S. all the way.
Old 12-11-2004, 12:17 PM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 184/482ci Shelby
Not Ranked     

HOGDEALER

Thanks for the name of the attorney. It makes it easier for me to have any of my clients doing business in Texas to avoid him at all costs.

Assuming everything is as alleged, then Roy is certainy liable to your friend for many things. As to whether he is guilty of any crime, I will not opine as it is something for the prosecutoirs to investigate.

However, I have a great deal of trouble reading this and not screaming total disbelief that attorneys and/or friends would have allowed this go on so long, and then offer more money! Blind faith for such gratification, which, according to the facts as you relayed them, occurred well before your friend learned his time was short, is difficult to support.

This BS about a label has gotten to be just plain phuking stupid at this point, and not just for your friend. Sorry, but there is far more going on than just your friend's situation, which, although curious to say the least, is undoubtedly sad.

The fact that more money was even offerred to Roy at this point is beyond belief. Since you have evidently adopted your friend's persona, were you the one who responded to Roy and offerred the money? While a "former" attorney, have you forgotten everything you learned? Have you or Texas counsel even considered going in and getting the car as it is so that there is something secure. If you're willing to throw more money...another shop could finish it. Just what the heck are you waiting for? More assurances from a Shelby dealer?

I suggest the best thing you can do for your friend is get him new and adequate counsel...he needs someone to protect his interests at some point before he passes.

I am damn angry for your friend...and not just at Roy.

Glad someone is stepping in. I'm sure the Kirkham's will be criticized by some as taking advantage of the situation. Their willingness to do such deeds in the past speaks for their credibility.

Shelby had way more than enough time to do something...and utterly failed. They had their chance...they always have chances...and they just keep blowing it. Shame.
Old 12-11-2004, 01:15 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2 dr roadster, V-8, 4 spd.
Not Ranked     

I'd get the car and engine and all paid for parts out of there. THEN litigate. GeorgiaSnake, litigating or calling the DA beforehand risks a padlock on the front door and not getting the car.

JAMO, I guess WE did have the same thoughts on the Texas esquire!
Old 12-11-2004, 01:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

JAMO,
Many of Dwaynes friends, as well as myself, told him to get his money back and to get the District Attorney involved. Dwayne felt that the only way he was going to get the car he wanted was through Roy Hunt. When Shelby's own people tell you that Roy builds a better car than they do, you listen.

I guess the best analogy is when your buddy falls in love with some girl that you know is wrong for him and bad news. And because he has been blinded by love or lust or what ever. He ignores the advice you give him. Then when the relationship blows up he says "I should have listen to you". That is finally were we are now. Faced with the end of his mortality he know is ready to do something.

JAMO

What do I need to do to facilitate the release of Dwaynes unfinished car? I ca do a limited power of attorney from Dwayne. What are you other thoughts?

Danny
Old 12-11-2004, 01:22 PM
Hoosier Gashole Emeritus
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Commendable offer by the Kirkhams. Danny if you have an intelligent bone anywhere in your body, give the Kirkhams permission and put Hunt on notice that the transport is en route.

If you don't jump at this opportunity, please refrain from posting more about this unfortunate situation and infusing more vitriol.

Last edited by Dan Semko; 12-11-2004 at 01:25 PM..
Old 12-11-2004, 01:31 PM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

Danny

Obviously, I've had many clients like that...that's when I find it best to start overdoing the lawyer thing....security agreements, UCC filings, etc. whether the client likes it or not. That's what lawyers do. Those documents allow certain self-help, ie., you go in and get the stuff...where do you think repossessors get the authority?

Since I have no clue what you may have in that regard, I can offer no advice as to what rights you may have to take possession.

Get counsel (Texas?) off his duff and send a freeking demand letter to Roy and tell him to gather everything because the Kirkhams are coming to get it. Too much thinking, posting of stories and e-mails going on...nowhere near enough action.

If Roy has half a brain, he will lay down.
Old 12-11-2004, 02:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Coupe,Blue w/white stripes SB; Roadster, Blue w/white stripes BB w/2-4s; SPF installer/Hot Rod-Custom Car builder
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

I agree with Dan Semko and Jamo, GET THAT CAR OUT OF THERE.
With the posted comments of Roy...."we'll use other deposits to finish the car......it's critical to completion of the car (more money)",it sounds like an imminent collapse. If left as is your friend may get his car ( I have my doubts), but it sounds like someone (or two...three) may wind up in the same boat. Jamo is right, too much posting and not enough action. You should have the Kirkhams on the way as I type.
Old 12-11-2004, 02:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

This was just posted on the Viper Club of American web site in reference to the Kirkhams offer to finish the car.

A little insight to Dave and 'Family' Kirkhams. For our DVSF IV Cobra event where we raise hell and raise money for Cystic Fibrosis, the Kirkhams "DONATED" including shipping, one awesome 289 FIA all aluminum Cobra. I built or finished it, the Cobra people provided the correct 289 engine and toploader and we raffeled it off.

This coming from the Kirkhams is just no surprise to me. Thank you Dave and family.
Ed 'DV' Combs
Old 12-11-2004, 02:47 PM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

Hog...

We know all about the Family Kirkham. They've done quite a bit more than just Jenny's Car, donations for which came from many of us in this community.

Don't mean to be an asshole attorney, but has the demand letter gone out? You have a plan of action coming together and from everything you've written, time is of the essence.

Get off the phuking car forums and get things moving!