LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2004, 09:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Professional Cobra & Streetrod Builder
Send a message via AIM to Double Venom
Not Ranked     

ff2,
Just my toughts on your comments, when he ordered the car I am sure he was told +/- 6 months, not over two years.
DV
Old 12-09-2004, 11:46 AM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 184/482ci Shelby
Not Ranked     

Max, you hit the nail right on the head.
Old 12-09-2004, 11:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally posted by brentfenimore

I clearly offered to get the vehicle back and complete it to complete roller les engine and trans but that that was as far as we (SA) could go but that there are several very capable techs in the area that could perform the installation. [/b]
Quote:
Originally posted by brentfenimore
My offer still stands to complete the unit as a roller less drivetrain however we can not install the engine no matter how badly we want to help Mr Gregory get his car complete. [/b]
Brent, I don't understand. Why not have Vince install the engine in the shop like he always does?
Old 12-09-2004, 03:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX 4766 (Vegas Built) with 482 Aluminum Pond motor
Not Ranked     

Max made some great points. My mom died from Cancer the week after I got my Cobra. She never got to see it but was happy when I told her that I picked it up five day before she passed. I agree with most that he should have purchased one already completed as most have stated. Can't understand why he did not take the offer of a roller if this was indeed a true statement given that fact that Brent made it. I know that he was building quite a motor but the 140K is still not justified or reasonable.

And last but not least Vitamin C makes a great point, Brent why couldn't you get Vince to install the motor in the shop? When I picked up my Cobra he was installing one in a 40th Aniversary model, can't see why he could not do it in the Cobra we are speaking of.
Old 12-09-2004, 03:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Coupe,Blue w/white stripes SB; Roadster, Blue w/white stripes BB w/2-4s; SPF installer/Hot Rod-Custom Car builder
Not Ranked     
Arrow

This IS the same Brent that was so reassuring last December to all the Shelby depositors about how well things were going at CAV and everything was right on schedule?Well then, that has got to be the Gospel.
Old 12-09-2004, 04:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF#1245 w/ 1966 427 SO
Not Ranked     

Toy Collector: C'Mon man. I've been around here long enough now that you, and everyone else, should know that I have a heart of gold. ;-)

Maxrpm: If you don't see the difference between THIS guys situation and others that are waiting for a CSX (or any other mfg. for that matter), then I don't know what to say. The guy with cancer waiting for his car, isn't the one that is "playing the illness card" here. He didn't write the post; his friend did. This is one friend trying to help another friend (who happens to be dying). You wouldn't do that for one of YOUR friends? Sure this guy could have bought one already built, but I think he wanted one of his "own" with his own personal touches. Besides, according to the post, this guy wasn't given a certain time frame of living until well after he ordered the car. Plus, we have to remember that he was told the car would be completed in 7-9 months......not TWO YEARS.
According to Brent F. Shelby delivered the car to Finish Line in a timely manner. So far so good. But when they found out that the customer was flat out LIED to about his car, I would think they would have / could have / should have done more to follow up for this guy. They had to have known what was going on @ Finish Line and that they were trying to play a shell game with this guy. In fact, I'm sure they've seen it before (or even used the same tactics at their own shop). As for this guy from Finish Line LYING to the customer by telling him that a car they were looking at was his, when it really wasn't.............I don't have words for that (well, I do, but I'll refrain from using them).
I have to say though that I give Brent a lot of credit for stepping in here and posting a comment. Hope he can do something about this situation. Would be nice to hear from him over at the "Shelby" (CSX4700+) thread as well. Perhaps he could shed a little lite on THAT subject / situation as well.

I hope this guy (and the 4700 series guys) get their cars as promised. It would be nice if this guy could get some enjoyment out of his Cobra before he dies. The only thing I keep thinking of is, just think how much more time he would have had to enjoy his car if it had been delivered in the 9 months he was told.

Last edited by TerrysSPF; 12-09-2004 at 04:22 PM..
Old 12-09-2004, 06:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: -Sold- Contemporary 427S/C # CCX-3152 1966 427 Med Rise Side Oiler, 8v 3.54:1 Salisbury IRS, Koni's.. (Now I'm riding Harleys)
Not Ranked     

Is this the same kid from england we all sent postcards to a few years back?

A man that is young in years, may be old in hours, if he have lost no time. But that happeneth rarely. Generally, youth is like the first cogitations, not so wise as the second. For there is a youth in thoughts, as well as in ages... Sir Francis Bacon (1561-1626)
Old 12-09-2004, 06:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Factory 5 mk4 445 FE
Not Ranked     

Whats that dude that writes about Cobras.. Curt something or the other.. uh, wonder what he has to say about the Shelby antics.... Maybe Meat can tell us the facts....
Stoneville,NC

My ex car. Sad to see it go.
http://www.ffcars.com/POM/nov2003pom.JPG
Old 12-09-2004, 06:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: -Sold- Contemporary 427S/C # CCX-3152 1966 427 Med Rise Side Oiler, 8v 3.54:1 Salisbury IRS, Koni's.. (Now I'm riding Harleys)
Not Ranked     

Is this the same kid from england we all sent postcards to a few years back?

A man that is young in years, may be old in hours, if he have lost no time. But that happeneth rarely. Generally, youth is like the first cogitations, not so wise as the second. For there is a youth in thoughts, as well as in ages... Sir Francis Bacon (1561-1626)
Old 12-09-2004, 07:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX 4780...after 19 months finally in Vegas. Now, if they can get the paint right :(
Send a message via Yahoo to ff2_emtb
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally posted by Double Venom

ff2,
Just my toughts on your comments, when he ordered the car I am sure he was told +/- 6 months, not over two years.
DV
True. Are we sure the guy at Finishline and Brent aren't the same person? Twins seperated at birth?

T.
Old 12-09-2004, 08:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

It appears to me the next poor bastard who places a deposit with Finish Line Motorsports to complete a car will have their funds diverted to compete Dwaynes car..I would presume this will end when the doors close for good and someone besides Dwayne is left holding the bag.
It's just a question of when this will happen.

D.
Old 12-09-2004, 08:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shell Valley- smallblock grenade w/ the pin pulled
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally posted by TerrysSPF

If you don't see the difference between THIS guys situation and others that are waiting for a CSX, then I don't know what to say. The guy with cancer waiting for his car, isn't the one that is "playing the illness card" here. He didn't write the post; his friend did.....This is one friend trying to help another friend (who happens to be dying). You wouldn't do that for one of YOUR friends?
Nope, I don't see any reason why I should think he deserves to ask for special preference over anyone else because he has cancer. Because he tells us he is dying of cancer we automatically feel we must do our best to honor a dying mans "last request". But guess what, he will outlive many of the people who are presently pitying him but don't yet know their ticket is about to be punched before realizing their lifes dream(whatever it may be), and it will more than likely be in a more dramatic and unexpected way than sitting idly by waiting for a personalized car to be built. As a matter of fact it might just do him some earthly good to dig in and fight to acquire his 'dream car' rather than just hang around burning lawsuit money while asking others to do his work...He should get on the phone, get on a plane, start choking people, whatever it takes for him get it done himself.
And as far as friends helping out their terminally ill friends, true friends know that their ailing friend will use every last ounce of bodily strength to crack the skull of anyone who might unknowingly offend their dignity by asking the general public to join in for "the cause"(whatever it may be).
Oh, I may not be an english professor but when someone writes an e-mail filled with the words 'I' and 'me' throughout, it is first-person.
But what really has me stumped is why go after a 4000? With millions to burn, why not throw a mil or so at someone with an original?
Wait! I'm on to something....
"Help! dying guys last request- wants to beat the hell out of an original, Please donate your original Cobra!"
Any takers?
Old 12-09-2004, 08:08 PM
Hoosier Gashole Emeritus
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Max,
we don't know each other but you have my utmost respect. I like your attitude and philosophy.

"In debates on ethically contentious issues, it is never wise nor polite to deride or belittle another person's delusion."
Old 12-09-2004, 08:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique Motorcars 289 FIA
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally posted by maxrpm

But what really has me stumped is why go after a 4000? With millions to burn, why not throw a mil or so at someone with an original? [/b]
I was thinking the same thing. For not too much more he could get an original with an older-restoration that is turn key. No waiting for builders, painters, engine installers, etc.
Old 12-09-2004, 08:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I appreciate that Dan but I'm not really all that respectable, I really do wanna beat the living daylights out of an original! But the fear of being pummeled to death by a team of Shelby purists is all too real!
Old 12-09-2004, 08:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF#1245 w/ 1966 427 SO
Not Ranked     

[quote]Originally posted by maxrpm

[b]Nope, I don't see any reason why I should think he deserves to ask for special preference over anyone else because he has cancer.

Max: First of all, I don't think "he" is asking for special treatment......his friend is (and if you would read some of the post on the Viper thread, you will see that they ARE 2 different people). But, cancer or no cancer, this guy has forked out 140K on a car and has waited for 22 MONTHS. Is there anyone else currently out there that has ordered a 4000 series that has been waiting longer than this guy and has not recieved their car yet? I don't think he's asking for "special preference" here. I would say that he should be 1st in line whether he is dying or not.

Max quote: Because he tells us he is dying of cancer we automatically feel we must do our best to honor a dying mans "last request".

Well, obviously some of us feel sorry for the guy and would like to see the right thing be done here. Some of us don't. To each their own. Wouldn't want to be YOUR dying buddy!

Max quote: "But guess what, he will outlive many of the people who are presently pitying him but don't yet know their ticket is about to be punched before realizing their lifes dream(whatever it may be), and it will more than likely be in a more dramatic and unexpected way than sitting idly by waiting for a personalized car to be built."

Strange way of looking at it. The way I look at it is, we KNOW that THIS guy is dying. Why NOT help someone out if you can? True, people die unexpectedly all the time........but it was UNEXPECTED. That's the difference. We didn't know it was coming and there was nothing we could do to help.
We just had one of our neighbors die a few weeks ago. He was 37 years old and died of a heart attack while at work. He left behind a wife and 2 daughters (5 mo and 2 yrs). He seemed to be in very good shape (and heck....he was THIRTY-SEVEN for Chris'sake!) and obviously nobody saw it coming. But, had he been diagnosed ahead of time and was given a certain amount of time to live, I'm sure all of his friends and neighbors would have done all we could to make his final days happy ones.

Max quote: "Oh, I may not be an english professor but when someone writes an e-mail filled with the words 'I' and 'me' throughout, it is first-person. "

This was already explained earlier......

Max quote: "But what really has me stumped is why go after a 4000? With millions to burn, why not throw a mil or so at someone with an original?

He recieved an award of 5.1 million. Government takes 50% and his lawyer takes a third. Not really "millions to burn" left Max. Perhaps he purchased a 4000 series because he wanted to leave the majority of what was left to his family.

Last edited by TerrysSPF; 12-10-2004 at 05:16 AM..
Old 12-09-2004, 09:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Tweak whatever you want, the fact of the matter is there is absolutely no need to go any further than "Please help me, I'm getting screwed big time by this builder, does anyone have information on how to straighten out this load of crap I'm being fed from the builder?" and I never said I didn't feel sorry for the guys predicament pertaining to his car....sucks being jerked around like that. As far as listing people we know that have suddenly died, we've all known of people dying unexpectedly. That's the way most people die. Even terminally ill people die unexpectedly. You think we look at the time and say oh sh.. gotta go...see ya!

Last edited by maxrpm; 12-09-2004 at 09:45 PM..
Old 12-09-2004, 09:32 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Perhaps if he had posted himself, that IS what he would have said?

But his friend(s) posted for him, thats certainly no foul in my book. It seems they had the best of intentions and were no doubt totally unaware of the larger picture. Which is: Their dying friend is not alone waiting in line.

Boy those people who cut in line in front of me really piss me off too! But sometimes it's justified.
Old 12-09-2004, 10:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett Morrision FE 427 so 2-4s
Not Ranked     

In this world of VRU's with push this button or that button people are not being held accountable for their actions.If the victim lived in the area and wasn't sick. I'd bet it wouldn't have happened. Ever think of a pissed off victim waiting for you at your home between your door and you. Heck he's dieing',you have his money.Maybe he thinks he'd be doing everyone else a favor. If you do it to enough people .It is like spinning that big lottery wheel ,That number will eventuially come up. If there is any truth to this claim,I'd think the end of the money train is at hand. SAI and Finishline better settle this quick or they might as well close the doors now and save some rent money.
Old 12-09-2004, 10:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #243 - 351W stroked to 418
Not Ranked     

IMO - flame away.

The way I see it is that a guy got a royal reaming on the receiving end of something with the Shelby name attached to it.
Take a number. Been going on for years (see: Series I.)
The fact that the victim is also suffering from a serious illness casts a harsh light on the situation, like it or not.
Frankly, I don't care if the fellow or his friend are employing his medical condition to get some sort of "preferrential treatment" (sort of like being first to get a deck chair on the Titanic) or to simply add an embarrassing exclamation point to some absolutely criminal treatment.
If the account is factual, this is serious fraud. If the committments have gotten this far ahead of the finances, and customers are being bilked to keep the enterprise afloat on a day to day basis, time to padlock the place, get out the books, have a serious look at what exactly is actually going on, period, and hold SAI's feet to the fire. Finish Line isn't some mushroom farm operating in a vacuum.
As for anyone assuming the 'high road' over the tawdry use of a terminal illness to garner sympathy, perhaps you could all chip in and have 'ol Shel sign the fellow's coffin should this unhappy story end tragically unresolved. I'm sure he'd cut you a swell deal under the circumstances.
Just don't place any bets on when he might get around to it.

Last edited by Durt; 12-09-2004 at 10:47 PM..
Closed Thread