Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2007, 06:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing #223
Not Ranked     

Dan,
Renee and I absolutely loved attending the 3rd annual DSCC meeting at Silver Springs. Unfortunately having a car show inside the park has it's limitations.
All cars must enter before 10:00am and definitely cannot leave until after 5:00pm. :-(
This makes scheduling Saturday events around the park event difficult.

As Robert mentioned in his earlier post, an afternoon poker run would be out of the question.... unless the event were held in the summer where we had more hours of sunlight..... Flip side... Summer heat and high probability of rain.

I've kicked the idea around for the past two years but I cant convince myself to give up the Saturday afternoon poker run.
If I can convince the guys to stay until Sunday late morning I'll move the poker run to Sunday am.
The poker run has always been one of the highlights of the event and I'd hate to give that up.
Many of the members use Sunday as a day to drive home, some having many hours of driving to look forward to.
It's a difficult decision to make but I think this idea works best if we hold the car show at the park. What do you think?

Ed
Old 04-04-2007, 02:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2009 Solbra
Not Ranked     

Ed,
First off as I said in my above post if we talked with Silver Springs we might be able to change their policy on an early departure for the Poker Run, although having it after Sundays breakfast might be even nicer. Secondly if we plan our yearly event early enough or at least post the dates when the big event will be I think those that are really interested in coming can plan and take a little vacation time for Reptile Roundup. I did work at one time and I always had vacation time that I allocated for my personal pleasures in life. I’m going to send an email to our secretary Larry and see if he will jump on board and find away to get other members to start posting, if we can’t find other members posting you and I could just email back and forth. We are up to 908 views so we have readers now all we need are participants in making 2007 Reptile Roundup the best yet.

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.
(No doubt, most will blame it on the donuts.)
You're just jealous because the voices only talk to me
Earth is the insane asylum for the universe.
The gene pool could use a little chlorine.
The original point and click interface was a Smith & Wesson.
Old 04-04-2007, 08:17 AM
GEAR GRINDER CUM LAUDE
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #1560 w/ Ford Racing [RDI/AFR/RPM] Alum. 427CI - 575HP & TKO
Not Ranked     
Smile This Is All Good!!!

I'm glad to see our regulars post here; as well as some new names.
THIS is exactly what we need.
I am between NC trips right now, dealing with the elderly parents and their health issues. (Ed, Carol and I can appreciate and understand your situation with Cameron - been there done that - dealing with the old folks is alot more frustrating).

FOR THOSE IN THE WPB AREA:
As far as I know, the ASPHALT ANGLES are having their "Cruise In Night" on Saturday. They usually meet the 1st Sat. of the month at Abacoa Town Center in Jupiter. Lots of nice hot rods and of course, Cobras! We can't make it, but encourage everyone close by to go. Manny Lopez, one of members usually attends along with some of the Jupiter guys. If you want to take your car, go early afternoon to register - the place fills up quickly. Last time we were there they had live music and dancing too.

To everyone who responded to this thread - I applaud you!
I will always remain a loyal member to this club, and will participate in every function as time and my location will allow. The track events are my love, but the other functions we have had over the years are also part of our backbone, plus a fun event to attend. Who can forget parking all those Cobras on Dan's front lawn? (Out very 1st DSCC event, and the dinner after. Got to meet Jim, Ed, Jerry, Dan, Jonesy, and I can't remember all the others. Carol got to meet the wifes that were there - Our very first love affair with the Cobra Club Clan.

Just a thought; Many of the other Cobra Clubs around the country get together for a breakfast run once a month. I think this is a really good idea.
The Tampa area folks get together for a monthly run and dinner afterward - another good idea. All it takes is acouple of our guys to plant the seed and post it here AND on the DSCC when it is up and running.

Please keep up the chatter - Start new threads, do whatever it takes to make this club better and stronger.

Happy Easter and Passover

TL
Old 04-04-2007, 09:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR 289 FI
Not Ranked     

Deadbeatle,
I'm not far from you, I'm in West Palm.
Monday night the Asphalt Angels meet at the Quarterdeck in Palm Beach Gardens, usually a few Cobras shows up.
Old 04-04-2007, 10:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Jolambike,
This past Monday I went to a local car show they have also every Monday at the Del Prado Mall in Cape Coral. There was 3 Cobras out of the 76 total cars present and normally I know everyone locally who has a cobra but it was the first time out for Anthony and his Cobra Shop Cobra. I always carry a form in my cobra so I can sign new members to our club and Anthony was our 400th Florida member to sign up for the Deep South Cobra Club. Below is a copy of the information we need for our membership records and if everyone carried a few copies in their cobras and then emailed the filled out forms to me at dfwulff@comcast.net, I will take care of it from there.

Deep South Cobra Club Membership Form

Last Name:

First Name include Wife:

Website Screen Name:

Email Address:

Phone Numbers Home: Cell:

Address:

City:

State:

Zip:

Enthusiast only, if yes stop here: ( )

Cobra Replica Company:

Body Color: Stripe color:

Cubic Inches of engine:

Horsepower :

Old 04-04-2007, 11:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hey guys, thanks for the clarification about the $ situation and track events...we should not be afraid to ask about this stuff, nor should anyone be offended if we do ask....
If most events are localized,(special parking at Sebring, shows, meetings, breakfasts, etc.) I guess I still don't see why the info can't be posted for all to see ahead of time??? Anyway...
I have also run clubs, associations, etc. in my life, and it is many times a "thankless" job, but someone chooses to do it. So no disrespect to those driving the club now...
Maybe though, someone could explain the roles of the officers, and what the club is trying to accomplish, (fun for all? Maybe?) This would help all understand the inner workings, limitations, sucesses and failures, of past efforts, so we all can have some fun in the future.
Some spirited dialogue has started because of this original post! That's for sure!
Old 04-04-2007, 01:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: unique,302
Not Ranked     
Default Dscc

including the various states is big.A huge effort goes into the roundup, and any events that are scheduled. At home, here, our family helps organize the local show, takes a lot of coordination.So, Ed--Jerry, ya,ll take care of your family now , and with all the good rapport we have going here dscc will be around,ya,ll have done good,and Dan, always helping out, shuffle the cards, we,ll all get a new hand. My two cents for the day.Will-alabama
Old 04-08-2007, 10:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

With 1,124 views we have plenty of lurkers now all we need are people to actually start posting and giving us direction to make our 2007 gathering the best and biggest event yet.

Old 04-08-2007, 12:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 742 / 428 FE
Not Ranked     

As an "almost" owner of an ERA (#742 and on the floor and getting its suspension hung as we speak) I will likely become much more involved in functions after I actually have a car and don't have to bring up the rear of a line of Cobras in my Isuzu VehiCross. I have already joined SAFE Motorsports to provide a fix for my track cravings but for General Purpose partyin' I would enjoy more multi-club activities. Why not schedule more periodic shows and get togethers that include local Porsche, Corvette, Ferrari, clubs etc. A "Sports and Exotics" function gives everyone a lot to look at and a chance to meet new people.
Old 04-08-2007, 01:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Just a collection of parts right now...
Send a message via MSN to spl310
Not Ranked     

I started collecting Cobra parts years ago with the intent to build a small block car. I never sourced a body, but have not given up yet. Budget issues are the biggest hurdle right now. Anyway, if the DSCC has an event that I can make it to (non track event) and won't be run off for not having a Cobra, I will come!
Old 04-08-2007, 01:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

RedEsprit,
When it comes to a gathering of cars such as Porsche, Corvette, Ferrari, & Cobras this happens all the time especially during the winter months here in southern Florida in fact I was just in Naples recently for a large show sponsored by the local Ferrari club. The only way things are going to happen in your local area once that ERA is on the road is for you to start or join into the local shows in your area.
Who can forget parking all those Cobras on Dan's front lawn? (Out very 1st DSCC event, and the dinner after. Got to meet Jim, Ed, Jerry, Dan, Jonesy, and I can't remember all the others. Carol got to meet the wifes that were there - Our very first love affair with the Cobra Club Clan.
Terry Lee

At the above gathering I had 18 cobras parked on my front lawn and over 50 people in attendance.

Old 04-08-2007, 01:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Spl310,
You have only to have a love affair with the cobra to join our club we have many enthusiasts in our club. The cobras started our club, but I have been to a lot of different events without my cobra and always had a good time.

Old 04-09-2007, 08:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: unique,302
Not Ranked     
Default Dan

here where we live there are few cobra,s, so we go to any show where it doesn,t cost money to enter . We particularly like the cheaha corvette show at oxford each month, folks walk by all that line up of vettes gawking at the few cobra,s there. And ,we have a lot of old car enthusiast showing off their cars. Have a car casket, outhouse on wheels, moonshine on wheels, just a lot of fun, all kinds of horns and stuff----but them little cobras---folks walk around all the others to lookat them. "is it real?"Yep. Dan--ya,ll have always done good with dscc, hope me and joan can get that way for thr roundup again, just a wonderful bunch of folks.Will-alabama
Old 04-09-2007, 07:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I like to show off my car - even if it is only rated at an optimistic 85hp and has 4 wheel drum brakes...
Old 04-10-2007, 02:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

85HP I think I have a picture of your car.

Old 04-10-2007, 05:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I wish I had that one as it plus the parts that I have would allow me to build a Cobra. My car is not a Cobra. This is my car:

Last edited by spl310; 04-10-2007 at 06:00 AM..
Old 04-10-2007, 05:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

SPL310
Nice Datsun Roadster!!!!
Old 04-10-2007, 06:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks! I have 3 of them right now. That one is a 64 1500 (3 seater!) I have another 64 1500 that I am going to do in pink with an automatic for my wife, and I have a 67.5 2000 as well. Now you see why I don't have a Cobra yet...
Old 04-10-2007, 07:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing #223
Not Ranked     

Terry,
I appreciate what you are trying to accomplish with this thread, but titling it "DSCC down the tubes" just doesn't fit.
How about "DSCC trash talking on Club Cobra down the tubes"??? or perhaps “DSCC communications on Club Cobra down the tubes” better conveys your sentiment.

To bash the club, YOUR CLUB, and make the statement that we are down the tubes is a grossly inaccurate statement.
In my opinion, a lack of communication on Club Cobra doesn’t mean the club is “down the tubes”.

OK, I agree as a club the DSCC doesn’t host as many “car shows” as some like, but there are numerous DSCC member attended car shows held each week throughout Florida. A quick glance at a Cruisin Style magazine or their web site lists all the shows in any given area. If you are into car shows, why not attend a few shows in your area and see who you might meet. It’s likely you will converse with someone who knows someone, who knows someone with a Cobra….

So, how many of the guys making claims or agreeing that the club is down the tubes utilized the DSCC eGroup to organize “other” events?

I give credit to Dan and his “Deeper South Cobra Club” who all met at local car shows and took it upon them selves to organize additional gatherings without the DSCC’s assistance. The West Palm Beach Cobra Group and St Augustine’s - First Coast Cobra Club are other examples of Cobra enthusiasts that have banded together and formed clubs within a club. Our Tampa gang gets together every month for dinner at one of our houses, not always with Cobras, but gathering together as friends for most any reason (birthdays, holidays, etc).

What’s stopping others from doing the same?

Not to be outdone, we are giving it yet another go….
It’s our duty as DSCC officers to try again and again until all ideas are exhausted.

As part of his new duties as DSCC Social Director, I’ve asked our secretary Larry Hess to organize Local Area Gatherings throughout Florida. Dates of these gatherings are TBD but we hope to have more information in our upcoming newsletter.
The idea is to organize a lunchtime gathering in each large metropolitan area and gather DSCC members to meet other Cobra enthusiasts in their area. This lunch gathering will be followed by a cobra cruise and dinner at a local restaurant.
From there we hope the members take it upon themselves to continue to meet on a regular basis and create additional “clubs within a club”.
PS, volunteers are needed to help with these gatherings….
If this plan works in Florida we will expand the idea to out other states within the DSCC.

Camaraderie and friendship while sharing a love for beautiful cars is the sentiment I hope to instill among all our members.

So Terry, when are you planning to organize a Tail of the Dragon run?

SPL310, we’d welcome you to any of our events but unfortunately I can’t let you run on the track without a roll bar.

Ed

Last edited by Engineer Ed; 04-10-2007 at 07:14 PM..
Old 04-11-2007, 04:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Ed & Terry,
I don’t think Terry would ever actually bad mouth his club as he has had way too much fun playing in his cobra. With 1,487 views I’m just hoping that we are working towards a better gathering of cobra enthusiasts. In this post I mentioned 400 members in Florida alone but in talking with our secretary his list is down to 278 because of members not getting back to us with their new email addresses and without their correct address we can’t keep in touch. Many of the 122 no longer on the list are people who have gone another direction as they have long ago sold their cobras. With the way Factory Five has been selling kits they have added to our list but we need to pursue these potential members, as I would rather have more members who participate than just a large list of cobra owners. After I get back from a short vacation I will post over at FFCOBRA looking for new members that might like to join us at the Deep South Cobra Club.