Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-11-2016, 06:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Default GT intake

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFSDFGT View Post
Nice driving. What are you using for the intake setup for your Whipple? The GT Guys cold air kit? Something else custom? Or just the factory airbox?
Thank you, I made up a spray bar for the intercooler and designed a solid state timer that would turn it on for 5 to 20 seconds every minute depending on outside temp. I used a motor home washer bottle mounted in the front compartment filled with distilled water. That gives me 15 TO 20 minutes of track time. Running 26.5 psi with 105 unleaded. Factory air box with intake support,
The big problem is the blower heating intake air.
Just as I chicken lift going into 1 it is 194 mph and a little over 150 under the bridge, really stout acceleration for a non turbo car. I also have AP rotors, Carbotech pads and spring rates roughly 2 times higher than stock.
Old 07-11-2016, 06:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make & Engine: CSX 4145, aluminum body and Shelby aluminum FE stroker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra #3170 View Post
Thank you, I made up a spray bar for the intercooler and designed a solid state timer that would turn it on for 5 to 20 seconds every minute depending on outside temp. I used a motor home washer bottle mounted in the front compartment filled with distilled water. That gives me 15 TO 20 minutes of track time. Running 26.5 psi with 105 unleaded. Factory air box with intake support,
The big problem is the blower heating intake air.
Just as I chicken lift going into 1 it is 194 mph and a little over 150 under the bridge, really stout acceleration for a non turbo car. I also have AP rotors, Carbotech pads and spring rates roughly 2 times higher than stock.
I am surprised that your factory airbox is sufficient to flow enough air to support that kind of boost & power. I just put a 4.0L Whipple on my GT, and have been figuring out how to have my local fabricator make a better intake setup, similar to the GT Guys, only better. So many people have said that the factory airbox is a major power limiter once you go Whipple. People have told me that they picked up anywhere from 2-4 psi of boost just by either drilling holes in the bottom of their airbox, or going with a dual-conical filter/dual snorkel type setup.
Old 07-11-2016, 07:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Default FGT Air Intake System

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFSDFGT View Post
I am surprised that your factory airbox is sufficient to flow enough air to support that kind of boost & power. I just put a 4.0L Whipple on my GT, and have been figuring out how to have my local fabricator make a better intake setup, similar to the GT Guys, only better. So many people have said that the factory airbox is a major power limiter once you go Whipple. People have told me that they picked up anywhere from 2-4 psi of boost just by either drilling holes in the bottom of their airbox, or going with a dual-conical filter/dual snorkel type setup.
I am sure you are correct, Whipple kept telling me they were going to develop a carbon fiber air box that would solve all problems and I waited and waited. They never made one. Car made 862 rwhp which was more than enough for most road courses but a better air box would have been nice. Did you install fuel pump boosters?
Old 07-11-2016, 07:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make & Engine: Some polish thing... With some old engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHNCO View Post
Sounds like some other people I know just swap out Cobra for GT40
Who? Name them please.
Old 07-11-2016, 08:44 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make & Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum

Quote:
There are very few cars that deserve a spot next to my GT40. The CGT is one of them.
Get a grip of yourself and reality.

First, the CGT owner wouldn't feel the same way. The CGT is a limited production supercar (1,270 produced) that's sells for roughly $700,000 +/-.

The SPF GT40 is a replica of a 1960's race car that can be bought almost everyday of the year, except holidays. There's a red one for sale right now for $130,000 built by Olthoff. It's a car that requires an exemption in most states in order to be legally driven on roads.

In terms of attention-getting, the CGT wins hands down, 100 times of 100. And your GT40 would be relegated to the replica section with the Cobras, 1932 Fords, and Beck 550 Spyders.

You do realize that my Kirkham Cobra is a $100,000 base roller, no options. And the SPF GT40 is a $110,000-$115,000 base roller. That's a rounding error.
Old 07-11-2016, 08:49 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Quote:
I bet if you put the top down this looks like a big blue bathtub
I'd take the "bath tub" over the "MRI tube" aka GT40 replica.

And that blue is not only an actual color, but awesome!

Anyone that repaints his GT40 and picks a base house trim color has no imagination.
Old 07-11-2016, 09:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

I think NYG is on to something
Old 07-11-2016, 09:17 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Quote:
I think NYG is on to something
Then you would be in the minority of 2.

Comparing a CGT to replica. Puh-leeze. No where near the same league.

I think it was a big mistake for Colorado to legalize pot. Now you have some of its citizens hallucinating.
Old 07-11-2016, 09:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra #3170 View Post
I am sure you are correct, Whipple kept telling me they were going to develop a carbon fiber air box that would solve all problems and I waited and waited. They never made one. Car made 862 rwhp which was more than enough for most road courses but a better air box would have been nice. Did you install fuel pump boosters?
Yes, JMS brand. I had the GT Guys do the install last year just before Rally X, when I needed some service done anyway. Along the Whipple, did injectors, Accufab throttle body, Cooltech exhaust, new SPEC clutch, lowered 1 inch, SpeedHut gauges (originals working, safely packed away), all fluids flushed and changed, new belts, etc. Did 754 rwhp on 100 octane and 19 psi boost. But I am not impressed with their tune- very safe/rich. Once I get the intake improved, I expect 780-800 rwhp on pump gas. My GT500 with a 3.4 Whipple makes 751 rwhp on same fuel, same boost, so the GT should do at least as well with the 4.0 Whipple, considering it has more cam, more fuel and injector capacity, less driveline loss, etc. But now I am doing a total rebuild on my GT500 engine, including cams, so it is a constant horsepower war between these two in my garage. But my cross-ram 572 hemi trumps them both.
Old 07-11-2016, 09:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make & Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR

Note gt guys have a wide following but will not support their tunes. My setup with their pulley and tune will not pass emissions in Nevada and so will not in California where we use a obd test. Their config bypasses 4 of the system ready tests. I am going to have it all ripped out when I take it for the airbag fix. You probably don't have that problem in your area. Their tuner threw up his hands and disappeared. Just a warning that many tuners are not emissions compliant
Old 07-11-2016, 10:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobjshelbys View Post
Note gt guys have a wide following but will not support their tunes. My setup with their pulley and tune will not pass emissions in Nevada and so will not in California where we use a obd test. Their config bypasses 4 of the system ready tests. I am going to have it all ripped out when I take it for the airbag fix. You probably don't have that problem in your area. Their tuner threw up his hands and disappeared. Just a warning that many tuners are not emissions compliant
They took my car to a local tuner in Detroit after they completed their component installation. They definitely know their way around a Ford GT, but correct- they are most certainly NOT tuners. I didn't care- I just needed a safe enough tune to get me around for the Rally, and now I am doing the other intake mods I mentioned and will have my trusted local tuner take it from there.
Old 07-11-2016, 10:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

I'm glad you guys are doing your part to keep the air clean and preserve natural resources because my GT40 gets 8 miles per gallon and belches flame and all sorts of nasties out the back. Thank you for your stewardship.
Old 07-11-2016, 10:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

It really doesn't matter what you drive or how much chrome shiney stuff it has on it. When I pull into the lot in the GT40 prepare yourself to be invisible. Sorry Kirkum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKnock View Post
Then you would be in the minority of 2.

Comparing a CGT to replica. Puh-leeze. No where near the same league.

I think it was a big mistake for Colorado to legalize pot. Now you have some of its citizens hallucinating.
Old 07-11-2016, 11:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Quote:
It really doesn't matter what you drive or how much chrome shiney stuff it has on it. When I pull into the lot in the GT40 prepare yourself to be invisible. Sorry Kirkum.
Maybe... My experience suggests otherwise... Polished Kirkham (made of either aluminium, bronze, copper or gold) kind of have an magic magnetic allure across all ages.

In any case even if that were true, they'd eventually bump into the owner and... well enough said...

Good luck and enjoy... You have a nice bit of kit there.
Old 07-11-2016, 11:19 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Quote:
Keep spliffing the ganja and listening to that Jimmy Buffett music. Maybe with the hallucinations, you'll think of an actual color to repaint your GT40 with and install something a bit more exotic than a 302/4bbl.

Your feelings of superiority are misplaced. Seriously, your car is a replica, just like the RCR, CAV, ERA, Tornado, Roaring Forties, etc. and also the Factory Five GTM. And just like my Cobra and all our Cobra's here on Club Cobra, all replicas, except for the few owners who have original Cobras such as Cobra #3170, Nedsel and A-Snake.

And the only way you'll be pulling into any lot at the moment is by pushing it. So I suggest buying a Rogue "Dog Sled" to practice pushing (and pulling too) weight up and down your street and driveway. Great exercise!

http://www.roguefitness.com/dog-sled

Last edited by RodKnock; 07-11-2016 at 11:21 PM..
Old 07-11-2016, 11:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Oh MHNCO... when you get a chance have a read of this:

Kirkham Motorsports - Leading manufacturer of aluminum bodied 427 and 289 replicas

Enjoy...
Old 07-12-2016, 03:22 AM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
I have in the past contributed to CC

Cobra Make & Engine: Time Machines Motorsports LLC- Superformance Dealer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkGuy View Post
You are lonely, typing just to read about yourself. Sad.
Now I know who you are. Orange hair in a goofy do. Jet with gold faucets. Golf course in Scotland.

How do you find time to troll in here when you are trying to raise campaign money (you know, the money you said you didn't need and wouldn't take?)

Say hello to Hillary.

http://www.timemachinesauto.com/
Old 07-12-2016, 03:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make & Engine: Shelby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernica View Post
I was at a college graduation party last month and one of the kid's parents showed up in a 918 Spyder. I have to say, it stopped me in my tracks as soon as I saw it and I just left my family and went to check it out. Quite an amazing piece of machinery to be sure. But to me it's like apples and oranges when comparing to a GT40, Cobra or whatever. There is a place for all of them in this world.
yes the 918 is a gorgeous car, some weeks ago one of them was offered in my home " porschezentrum", price was 1.950.000 €, its sold now, delivery price one year earlier was 918.000 €

that leads me the next question what to prefer:
918 or csx2000......
Old 07-12-2016, 06:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make & Engine: Nissan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark IV View Post
Now I know who you are. Orange hair in a goofy do. Jet with gold faucets. Golf course in Scotland.

How do you find time to troll in here when you are trying to raise campaign money (you know, the money you said you didn't need and wouldn't take?)

Say hello to Hillary.
Must be another slow day, no sale? VA hospital is open now. Bring your brochures.
Old 07-12-2016, 07:04 AM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
I have in the past contributed to CC

Cobra Make & Engine: Time Machines Motorsports LLC- Superformance Dealer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkGuy View Post
Must be another slow day, no sale? VA hospital is open now. Bring your brochures.
Already out on a day pass. What's your excuse?

http://www.timemachinesauto.com/