April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-01-2008, 08:33 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster 351W, T5, Red & White
Not Ranked     

Jay, your comment:

" We have been through inspection as early as last Thursday and it is a breeze."

RE: New emissions requirements as of August, 2008

* What are you using for " Documented Proof " on the year of the engine block?

* Are the casting numbers/bore number, such as C8AE-C, or any other numbers on the block, visually verified ?

* Did the inspection also include a visual check for the installation of emissions hardware if the engine block is 1966 and later ?
Old 05-17-2009, 11:42 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

A good story regarding a Composite, already registered in another state, being registered in CT

http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/show...944#post949944
Old 03-12-2010, 12:38 PM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing
Not Ranked     

UPDATE

SB1081 known as Public Act 09-187 Signed into law by Governor Rell on 7/8/2009 and active 10/1/2009 is not worth the paper it is written on to the CT DMV.

Specifically the inspectors on the line at the Wethersfield Inspection lane will not acknowledge this law when it comes to model year designation. They will insist on placing the current year in the model year form.

When you wait 2 hours to then register the vehicle the clerks will not grant a 1965/1966 registration on the basis the inspectors have declared the car a 2010.

At this time there is no recourse within the DMV office to have this law acknowledged and followed.
Old 03-12-2010, 03:20 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 SC s/n 718, 428 FE
Not Ranked     

You think this may be because Gov Rell recommended to close all DMV offices and turn over control to the state police? Could be just a pissing contest.
Old 03-24-2010, 08:08 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Cross reference to a Thread regarding CT registration and emission exemption:

renewing CT registration on line
Old 03-30-2010, 10:32 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

After Jay posted his challenges in getting Model Year registration, I contacted the Vice-Chair of the 4C's, he works with the paid lobbyist, $1,100/mo, in contacting the DMV and Legislators. I reiterated what was happening in the denial of Model Year Registration. Had also included the 4C's Newsletter Editor.

After a spirited discussion, the Vice-Chair mentioned he personally knew of registrations, plural, after 10-1-09 that received Model Year registration, but would not share any specifics. In conclusion, I asked to have the 4C's and paid lobbyist actively participate in the resolution.

Intentionally waited until the April newsletter was published which I received today. There was no mention of this particular problem, while other legislative issues were covered in detail. Needless to say , I am very disappointed.

The standard answer from the 4C's has been to bring a copy of the legislation when inspecting/registering and then inform the DMV officials they have to follow the law.
Old 10-22-2010, 10:39 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

FYI.........

DMV Improves Registration Renewal Process: October 21 ,2010

" DMV is now making it simpler to renew a vehicle’s registration by combining everything needed into one mailing from the agency..........."

http://www.ct.gov/dmv/cwp/view.asp?Q=467418&A=807

From the DMV web site, to verify payment received and registration is active.

"As a result of the elimination of vehicle registration stickers on August 1, 2010, the DMV has changed the process for renewing your registration. A notice to renew your registration will be mailed to you approximately 45 days in advance of its current expiration date. Your renewed registration is effective after your payment has been received by DMV and all compliance issues have been met. You will no longer receive a sticker in the mail. For further information please visit our page on the New Registration Renewal Process.

This page has been designed to confirm that your payment has been processed and your registration has been renewed. Enter information below to verify your registration expiration date. "

http://www.dmvselfservice.ct.gov/Reg...onService.aspx
Old 10-22-2010, 02:06 PM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don View Post
The standard answer from the 4C's has been to bring a copy of the legislation when inspecting/registering and then inform the DMV officials they have to follow the law.
This does absolutely nothing... I showed copies to inspectors, supervisors, clerks, and more supervisors all over the Wethersfield office with nothing...
Old 10-23-2010, 08:05 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Jay, the posting you quoted goes back to March 30th. If there still is a problem with Model Year registration, the 4c's contact for providing the details is :

Vice Chairman John Parish:

patandlj@comcast.net

Since then , they have indicated successes with the registration process. If the November 4C's newsletter has any additional info I will mention.
Old 10-23-2010, 10:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #656 402 SR TW
Not Ranked     

Is anyone still having trouble with the safety inspector writing current year?
Old 10-23-2010, 01:53 PM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjmoore2003 View Post
Is anyone still having trouble with the safety inspector writing current year?
Have not had a chance to test it since the Summer. Has anyone gone through since August?
Old 11-14-2010, 04:57 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The most recent CT Council of Car Clubs newsletter did not have any updates on Model Year registration.

Does anyone know, registrations for Cobras are currently being processed as 1965/66 or 2010 ?
Old 12-17-2010, 08:14 AM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

Don,
Don't know if you caught the DMV update on the Composite Registration page... it was updated in September 2010. And here you go:

Quote:
At the time of inspection a VIN will be assigned by the Inspector. The year assigned to the vehicle will be the year in which the vehicle was built. On your registration and title documents, the make will be specified as "Composite."
http://www.ct.gov/dmv/cwp/view.asp?a...8&dmvPNavCtr=|
Old 12-17-2010, 03:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

This is so confusing
Old 12-17-2010, 04:27 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Looks like they went back to the way it was, totally disregarding the new law as it was written, except for the emissions exempt clause. Same old state of CT. A pissing contest between DMV and the state legislature. Looks like DMV wins.
Old 01-01-2011, 10:34 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The 4C's, CT Council Of Car Clubs, has again for 2011 hired a lobbyist to represent the interests of the hobbyist. While the emissions exemption, $500 tax assessment, etc. appears to have been implemented w/o difficulties Model Year registration still has some challenges.

The 4C's encourage that they be contacted with any specific detail examples regarding any occurrences adversely impacting the hobbyist. Otherwise, there is no follow-up by the Club to the lobbyist and the chance to correct the problem. Yes, it has proven it might take some time to resolve some issues, but emissions exemption, $500 tax assessment etc didn't happen overnight.

http://www.ctccc.net/contact-us.html
Old 01-01-2011, 03:23 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

From what I understand, the $500 assessment does not pertain to composite cars. Each city has their own system for assessing property tax. I believe my assessment ($20,000) was based on the basic kit price as advertised online. A guy I met this past summer who had a '34 Ford coupe (previously built and bought this past year) was assessed at $15,000 for which his bill amounted to about $450 per year. Still a lot of gray area here in CT.
Old 01-15-2011, 07:26 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

RE: SEMA reference for kit cars, replicas, Composites

In case the posting was missed that originated on another Thread in the Registration Forum. The SEMA CT version may or may not be current. As an example, included is CT DMV R-157 Composites, the document has a date of 12/04, a number of changes/updates since then:

Home Web Site:

http://www.semasan.com/main/main.aspx?id=62843

CT:

http://www.semasan.com/images/pdf/SA...omplete-CT.pdf
Old 01-17-2011, 08:31 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

From AutoWeek.com

" SEMA releases guide to registering custom cars:
For the first time in five years, SEMA released its updated 50-state guide to help street-rod, custom-kit and replica-car owners register them.

Known as the Tag and Title Toolbox, SEMA's updated database has the administrative forms and proper terms needed when working with each state's motor-vehicle department.

The paperwork for each state is compiled and organized, with hobby-related words highlighted for quick reference.

In a news release, SEMA vice president of government affairs Steve McDonald said model legislation, which has been adopted by 21 states, was crafted from the research and information from the program.

Along with registration information, SEMA has information on the latest automotive regulations on both state and federal levels. While information and laws change, all of the information is up to date as of Dec. 31, 2010, SEMA said.

Visit www.semasan.com/main/main.aspx?id=62843 to explore the Tag and Title Toolbox. "

http://www.autoweek.com/article/2011...NEWS/110119925
Old 02-01-2011, 09:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Jay, has anyone registered lately in CT? How did it go?