April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-15-2007, 02:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Building ERA #749 427 Cobra
Not Ranked     
Default Update On HB5790

HB5790 will be terminated and new language will be incorporated in DMV bill RSB1400 on either this Friday or Monday. The sponsor of the bill as well as the Senator and Representative chairs of the Transportation committee feel this is the only shot we have at getting the emissions exemption approved. They felt that trying to change the definitions of composite and breaking classification into street rods, customs and new composite definitions would not fly, at least at this time. There is a cost to be borne by DMV for this change and the cost would be much higher to split up the classes. We'll take what we get (I hope) and live to fight another day. We still have a long way to go and need to be vigilant through the rest of the process. There are many more chances for the bill to be stopped.
Old 03-20-2007, 03:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF#2189
Not Ranked     
Question ??

Not sure whats happening here, looks like the "TRA" voted on HB1400 favorably but is see no mention of "Emissions or Composite":

http://www.cga.ct.gov/asp/cgabillsta...3&SUBMIT1.y=13

Old 03-20-2007, 05:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Several
Not Ranked     

Do not underestimate the perfidy of representatives and particularly their staffs to say one thing to buy time or your comfort and lack of diligence and then do another when muscle time comes around.

Assume nothing and verify everything or you will fail.

Passing intelligent laws is like juggling. A moments inattention and all is lost; a history of failed bills brands the law a dead end, regardless of its merit...

Good luck and may the force be with you, along with 20,000 signatures.
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
George Washington
Old 03-20-2007, 06:29 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster 351W, T5, Red & White
Not Ranked     

Steve, RENEW1 has been in contact with Claire regarding the status of SB 1400 etc etc , and whether the exemption clause will be included

Not making excuses, but Claire is sponsoring 50 Bills. At this time of the year, the Legislators are busy meeting the deadlines. When I recently checked with the Transportation Committee Office staff, it was mentioned delays are normal at this time of the year between the action steps and posting to the web site etc ......which does not imply the results will be favorable from our point of view.

Considering the exemption on emissions impacts a select group of 337 Composite owners compared to over 3,000,000 passenger car registrations, and future Composite owners, approx 10-15 per year, we have received a fair amount of consideration, the Co-Chairs could also have elected to not support further consideration.

Let's hope for the best........

Last edited by Don; 03-20-2007 at 06:40 AM..
Old 03-21-2007, 11:35 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The Transportation Committee staff has advised there is an update to SB 1400 which does not yet appear on the CGA tracking system .Yet to be determined is how the wording may or might be interpreted in relation to other Emission and DMV regulations. The delay in an update to CGA Tracking is not unusual at this time of the year.

This is only the first step of many and should not be interpreted as a guarantee of passage in the final version of SB 1400 , voted upon by the entire GA and signed by the Governor. That said, it is to our benefit that the language is in an Administrative update Bill which includes many other DMV changes etc rather than a stand alone bill.

I do not have a time frame as to when the next steps will occur and when these are known, either RENEW1 or myself will post updates. You can also check CGA tracking regarding SB 1400, but remember there is a time delay on updates:

http://www.cga.ct.gov/asp/cgabillsta...ll_num=SB01400

Again, far from final passage, but looks like Step 1 has been successful.

Last edited by Don; 03-21-2007 at 12:21 PM..
Old 03-21-2007, 02:00 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

IMPORTANT: Regarding Support of SB 1400:

At this stage of the process regarding the passage of SB 1400 ,with our desires regarding exemption of emissions testing , it is NOT necessary to provide any additional supporting commentary to either a Senator or Representative. Yes, this is a change in strategy.

Claire has advised RENEW1 that she will be acting in our behalf.

Steve, if you have been posting on the FFR Forum, can you add this message...thanks
Old 03-21-2007, 02:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks Don,
Will do........
Old 03-21-2007, 03:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Factory Five USRRC 1968-289, ERA#287 427-Side Oiler , Goodyear Vintage Eagles, HB Pin Drives / FF Coupe 427w by Keith Craft 950 DaVinci Holley, Tremec, Goodyear Vintage Eagles, MSD Ign.
Not Ranked     

Don;
Thanks!
Old 03-26-2007, 07:16 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

For comparison purposes, the CGA activity on the 2006 DMV Bill, note the action steps, amendments, etc etc etc

http://www.cga.ct.gov/asp/cgabillsta...SUBMIT1=Normal

As compared to the current status on the 2007 DMV Bill which will include the exemption on Composite emissions:

........... nothing new to report
Old 03-28-2007, 04:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Some favorable blurbs from the Transportation report.........

http://www.cga.ct.gov/2007/JFR/S/200...R00TRA-JFR.htm
Old 03-28-2007, 07:28 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Steve's reference , note the importance of submitting written testimony. The Transportation Committee staff drafts the Joint Favorable Report for use by the CGA members as a refresher when discussing the merits and voting on a Bill. Also, that the written testimony , while supporting the same Bill, has an individual and personal flavor as compared to a petition or template format.

Sections 36 to 39 have not yet been updated to the on line version of 1400, but I have been assured as of this morning by the Transportation Committee staff, after checking with the CGA lawyer, that the composite emission exemption has been included in Section 38.

With caution, a long way to go for final approval and signature by the Governor, but an excellent start.
Old 03-28-2007, 08:19 AM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing
Not Ranked     

Where did our written testimony go? We submitted several copies?
Old 04-04-2007, 05:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Bill 1400 is on the move again favorably:

Here:

http://www.cga.ct.gov/2007/FC/2007SB...R000317-FC.htm

And here:

http://www.cga.ct.gov/asp/cgabillsta...hich_year=2007

Last edited by SJK2; 04-04-2007 at 07:42 PM..
Old 04-04-2007, 03:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Venom 351W Mild Cam 600cm Holley MSD T-5
Send a message via AIM to Smoking Cobra
Not Ranked     

Thanks for the update. My registration expires in july and i'm sure i need to go through emmision's. Hopefully the bill will pass by then.
joeg
Old 04-04-2007, 03:53 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 SC s/n 718, 428 FE
Not Ranked     

Pages 1343, 1344, and 1345 exempt composite vehicles from emissions testing as of July 1st, 2007. Let's hope this goes through.
Old 04-05-2007, 12:28 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Clean Air Act & Collector Cars

http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77885

Federal Register:

Page 15046 , right side column:

http://a257.g.akamaitech.net/7/257/2...df/E7-5558.pdf

Last edited by Don; 04-05-2007 at 12:32 PM..
Old 04-15-2007, 08:56 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Current Status

I asked the Senate Clerk regarding the scheduling of Bills for the Senate discussion and vote , there is no predetermined schedule.

Senate Reference: XX 0291

Substitute for Senate Bill No. 1400. AN ACT CONCERNING THE ADMINISTRATION OF THE DEPARTMENT OF MOTOR VEHICLES.

All matters marked XX are ready for the action of the Senate

http://www.cga.ct.gov/2007/FC/2007SB...R000317-FC.htm

Section 38 wording, item 12

" Such regulations shall apply to all motor vehicles registered or which will be registered in this state except: (1) Vehicles having a gross weight of more than ten thousand pounds; (2) vehicles powered by electricity; (3) bicycles with motors attached; (4) motorcycles; (5) vehicles operating with a temporary registration; (6) vehicles manufactured twenty-five or more years ago; (7) new vehicles at the time of initial registration; (8) vehicles registered but not designed primarily for highway use; (9) farm vehicles, as defined in subsection (q) of section 14-49; (10) diesel-powered type II school buses; [or] (11) a vehicle operated by a licensed dealer or repairer either to or from a location of the purchase or sale of such vehicle or for the purpose of obtaining an official emissions or safety inspection; or (12) vehicles that have met the inspection requirements of section 14-103a and are registered by the commissioner as composite vehicles. "
Old 04-17-2007, 02:27 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Additional summary points from Ivan in OR on presenting the vehicle and paperwork for registration etc., etc.

http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/show...d=1#post733452
Old 04-20-2007, 05:16 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Update on 1400:

I checked with the Senate staff, sending a Bill to a Committee (s) is part of the normal legislative process, allows for the due diligence phase in preparation for a vote, amendments, etc

http://www.cga.ct.gov/CGAPBTS.asp?se...ll_num=SB01400

The time frame and reference to the 2006 DMV Bill:

6/2/2006 Signed by the Governor
5/22/2006 Transmitted to the Secretary of State
5/15/2006 Public Act 06-130
5/2/2006 In Concurrence
Old 04-28-2007, 07:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Building ERA #749 427 Cobra
Not Ranked     
Default SB1400 Update

Bill was referred to the Judiciary Committee by Senate. Review of certain sections ( not our part) was completed and Two amendments made to the overall bill. Not sure if it goes back to Senate or Transportation committee. Expect to find out on Monday.