Club Cobra Gas-N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Superformance

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 11-29-2009, 04:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #046 Dart 427w
Not Ranked     

I own #046. It is a 1995 and was with the first batch of cars to be shipped from South Africa. It is a beautiful car, with fit and finish in my biased opinion, second to none. I have not had any problems in 14 years with this car. Car is solid as a rock and has been a great pleasure to own.
Old 12-02-2009, 12:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #770, Stroked 351W (393 cubes) w/ Tremec TKO-600, 3.27 Torsen locker, 'Hi-Tech' Blue w/ White Stripes, Wilwoods, Bilstein coil overs...and a big ear-to-ear grin!
Not Ranked     
Default I own #770....for over 10 years now

Matt...I own #770 and have owned it since it was delivered on 10/21/00. I don't know the "Richard Cranium" (you figure it out) posting as Patrickt, nor why he has such an axe to grind, but ...truth be known... d!ckheads like him are why I mostly stopped posting on this, or any other forum for that matter, a long time ago. Too many people with too little experience and a keyboard can post whatever they want on subjects about which they are unqualified to speak.

If you'd like an honest, straight forward opinion of Superformance cars, please contact me offline via this forum. In over 10 years of ownership, I've not had one single problem with any item on my car that I didn't cause myself. I'd buy another SPF in a heart beat...no questions asked.

Hope this helps you sort out the facts from the bullsh!t....and Patrickt doesn't seem to have all the facts.
WARNING: The opinions expressed herein do not necessarily represent those of the management, editors, or owners. We welcome differing opinions, and recognize our responsibility to offer differing views. May cause drowsiness, restlessness, or irritability. Do not operate heavy machinery while using this product. Void in Alaska, Hawaii, and Puerto Rico, or where prohibited, licensed, or regulated by law. We reserve the right to limit quantities. Offer good while supplies last. No substitutions allowed. Please observe posted speed limits. Professional driver on closed course. Do not try this at home. Please wear your seatbelt at all times. Close cover before striking. Use at own risk. Please dispose of properly. Drink responsibly. Prolonged exposure to vapors has been shown to cause cancer in laboratory animals. Do not use this product of you are pregnant, or plan on becoming pregnant. Intentional misuse by deliberately concentrating and inhaling fumes can be dangerous. Always wear safety glasses. In case of eye contact, flush with water and seek immediate medical attention. For occasional use only as directed. Avoid prolonged skin contact. Discontinue use if rash develops. If symptoms persist for more than three days, seek professional medical attention. Hearing protection required beyond this point. Danger: Hot surfaces. Use as directed. Proceed at own risk. Caution: Filling may be hot. Please don't litter. Actual results may vary. It is a violation of Federal Law to use this product in a manner other than as intended. Do not use this product if you have an enlarged prostate, or have difficulty urinating.

Last edited by Flyin_Freddie; 12-02-2009 at 02:07 PM..
Old 12-02-2009, 01:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2932 with 438 Lykins Motorsports engine. Previous owner of FFR 5452.
Not Ranked     

I've got a newer chassis (number 2932) and in the 4 months it's been on the road, I have had a few teething problems that probably would have been taken care of if I had taken it back to my engine installer after 500 miles or so. Nothing major to complain about. Wheels imbalanced, oil temp gauge line kinked and stopped working, thermostat and intake manifold gasket replaced under warranty from Roush. Everything else seems tight and of good quality.

If I could have found a used one exactly like mine, I would have bought it in a heartbeat. This is my second Cobra and the first year is always filled with teething and diaper changes till you get it set up just the way you like it. But it is well worth the effort!
Old 12-02-2009, 01:47 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA #2117; 331 stroker; TKO600
Not Ranked     

Mattpatt. The Superformance is a great car - extremely reliable and well built. After Kirkham, which is hands down the prettiest, best engineered, and best built cobra available (in my opinion), the next two - in varying order of preference - would be ERA and Superformance (again in my opinion). There generally won't be anything amiss with a used Superformance (or an ERA) that some light wrench work won't resolve. Most of the cars are dreams that were purchased, built strong enough to handle a race track every weekend, but normally only driven a couple of thousand miles in it's lifetime. There are people on here who have driven their Superformance as a daily driver + tracked it on weekends, and have 100,000 miles on the car. Believe me, they wouldn't have sold the large volume they have - at a significant premium to many other available cobras - if they weren't delivering on the quality promise. People who put out $50+ thousand can make a lot of noise when they are unfairly treated. Superformance makes a very good car (so does ERA). Check them out, ride in em, drive em, visit the factory (ERA is in Ct). Have fun doing your homework - that is part of the pleasure in this 'affliction'.
Old 12-02-2009, 06:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance SP3033, KC SBF 427
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattpatt View Post
I've been considering buying a used Superformance Mk3 and have been studying everything about these cars that I can find in the internet. Some time ago I came across a site that had all the design improvements in the Mk3 by chassis number. I failed to bookmark this page and have looked hi and lo to find it since.

Does anyone know where this info can be located?

Much thanks to anyone who can help.

I much appreciate the added replies, guys. While there is some "noise" in the info flow (Mr.P) which I just filter out most of the info I've found on this thread, as well as many other, is invaluable. Just talking to you about the cobras makes the prospect of owning one more real and, to be honest, that much more exciting. You've all been where I am and know that this phase is a hell of a lot of fun as well as necessary to making a good decision in the end.

thanks, much

Matt
Old 12-04-2009, 02:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF, 351W, Wilwoods, 17" PS Eng w/Michelin Pilot Sports, Race Bilsteins
Not Ranked     

Matt, Hope you found the information you needed and got some non-biased input from owners on this forum. Myself, I've owned my Superformance since 1999 and have has no manufacturing related quality issues. Back then, I visited many of the facilities reproducing Cobras and chose Superformance. Ultimately, it's your decision and yours alone! If you need feed back on a car that's been driven on long distance road trips, track days and just use for riding around, I will be glad to help you out.

Bill A.
Old 12-04-2009, 08:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF / FE428
Not Ranked     

I bought SPF #2966, 5 months later I'm still dealing with paint problems from day 1. I had to hire a lawyer to write a letter to Dynamic West before they took action. I just got my car back; they took it to LA to be fixed. What a joke!!! There were 3 locations that needed to be fixed. (1) Scratch on rear fender, (2) palm print in clear on front left fender, (3) palm print on dash passenger side of dash. Car was returned to me and they didn’t fix the dash, 6 weeks later. And to top it off, Superformane did a spot job on the paint. Customer service is the worst!! I’m writing about just 1 problem I’ve had, believe me, I could write a book on all the problems I’ve had with my MK111 Superformance
Do NOT buy a new SPF, You’ll wish you never did!! One of the biggest mistakes I ever made!!
Old 12-08-2009, 02:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF1715, Roush Built 434 ci Stroker, Dart Block, Ported AFR 205 Heads... 561 hp / 547 tq, Former Roush Show Car, Completed and Prepped By Olthoff Racing.
Not Ranked     

I have owned 1715 for a few years, and I have had no problems with the car at all. I did crack a windshield (not the fault of the car) and Lance (ceo of SPF and owner of Hillbank Motors) went out of his way in helping me replace it. The winshield had to be fitted, and Lance had his guys do this for only the cost of the windshield. My experience with the car and dealer support have been great.
Old 12-08-2009, 03:05 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2613 Titanium w/Black, Roush 402SR
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMOKNAC View Post
I bought SPF #2966, 5 months later I'm still dealing with paint problems from day 1. I had to hire a lawyer to write a letter to Dynamic West before they took action. I just got my car back; they took it to LA to be fixed. What a joke!!! There were 3 locations that needed to be fixed. (1) Scratch on rear fender, (2) palm print in clear on front left fender, (3) palm print on dash passenger side of dash. Car was returned to me and they didn’t fix the dash, 6 weeks later. And to top it off, Superformane did a spot job on the paint. Customer service is the worst!! I’m writing about just 1 problem I’ve had, believe me, I could write a book on all the problems I’ve had with my MK111 Superformance
Do NOT buy a new SPF, You’ll wish you never did!! One of the biggest mistakes I ever made!!
Did you find the paint flaws and the palm print on the dash after you took delivery of your car? My car was just off the boat (hadn't sat on a showroom floor) and I went over it with a fine tooth comb before taking delivery. I noted a paint flaw (scratch under the clear coat), but negotiated a deal and decided not to fix it.

I know a lot of people (including me) have had a great experience dealing with Superformance and have been impressed with the quality. Hopefully they can resolve the issues to your satisfaction and you can start enjoying your car.

No stop signs, speed limit - Nobody's gonna slow me down - Like a wheel, gonna spin it
Old 12-08-2009, 03:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #2144 with a Roush 342R (sold June 2018, but still lurking on Club Cobra)
Not Ranked     

I've owned SPF #2144 for just over two years. Since purchasing it new I've accumulated almost 9000 miles. I experienced the usual "teething" issues (i.e. minor oil leak, thermostat housing leak, door out of adjustment, etc.) but they weren't manufacturing related and have all been resolved. The car has performed beyond my expectations with no issues. The paint, bodywork, and overall construction are as good today as when I first took delivery. I'm completely satisfied with the car and wouldn't hesitate to recommend, or buy, another.
Old 12-08-2009, 03:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Got the bug has the right idea, regardless who make you buy, new or used, go over the car in detail. I am not talking from 5 feet back, I am talking look at every edge, door, hood, trunk gaps, if possible get under a flourecent light and look for flaws in the clear or color. Paint and body are the most difficult and risky to repair, mechanical items can be a pain but are just swap outs.

I have a SPF and love it and YES YOU WILL HAVE teething problems the first year, If you can find a used one of your liking you are ahead as far as teething issues. Depends if the owner like to tailgate dump trucks etc.
Old 12-08-2009, 05:01 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF w/392CI stroker
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmaxx View Post
...if possible get under a flourecent light and look for flaws in the clear or color.
Flame suit on.

I'd be curious to learn just how many Ferrari, Lambo, Bugatti, et al owners have used this procedure when they have handed over suitcases of dead presidents to buy their factory built cars? I don't even hear of the hard core 'Vette guys doing this to ZR-1s and Z06s at the local Chevy dealer either.

If I was selling ANY of these painted turn-key-minus cars new (SPF, BDR, ERA, Hurricane, etc.) and a customer whipped out a flourescent (or Xenon-bulbed detail) light prior to taking delivery, I'd hand him back his deposit and tell him to not let the door hit him in the azz on the way out.

-Dean

Last edited by RedBarchetta; 12-08-2009 at 05:04 PM..
Old 12-08-2009, 05:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 1421 351W
Not Ranked     

Mattpatt-welcome. I am glad you're performing good due diligence...take your time...do your research...make sure all your questions are answered to your satisfaction before you make your purchase decision. Regardless of the brand, have a third party inspection performed by a qualified technician, someone who is looking out for your best interests. Even they may not catch everything, but at least you'll know what you are buying. Its very hard to find a 100 point car, but you know what your tolerance level is regarding any deficiencies a car may have. I think most of us that have purchased a used Cobra, know that they probably are going to require some attention. Superformance happened to be the "right" car for me, hopefully it will be for you, too. Good luck, and again, welcome to the club!
Old 12-08-2009, 06:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Your right flaws in the paint and clear create character and individuality, just like a real diamond. LOL!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBarchetta View Post
Flame suit on.

I'd be curious to learn just how many Ferrari, Lambo, Bugatti, et al owners have used this procedure when they have handed over suitcases of dead presidents to buy their factory built cars? I don't even hear of the hard core 'Vette guys doing this to ZR-1s and Z06s at the local Chevy dealer either.

If I was selling ANY of these painted turn-key-minus cars new (SPF, BDR, ERA, Hurricane, etc.) and a customer whipped out a flourescent (or Xenon-bulbed detail) light prior to taking delivery, I'd hand him back his deposit and tell him to not let the door hit him in the azz on the way out.

-Dean
Old 12-09-2009, 11:08 AM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmaxx View Post
Your right flaws in the paint and clear create character and individuality, just like a real diamond. LOL!!!
You don't drive diamonds. If you're buying a trailer queen and plan to truck the car from show to show, then I suppose a "flawless diamond" finish will be a pre-requisite.

The factory paint on many of these cars (pick your brand) are actually quite stellar. Most every SPF owner that I know who took delivery of a car with flaws, and who wasn't a complete azz about it, had the dealer take care of them au gratis. Solids are usually easier to blend/match than metallics, so a buyer should take that into consideration whether they plan to buy a turn-key-minus or have their own project painted by a pro.

Even the most perfect paint job will start to show war wounds with a little driving...it's inevitable.

-Dean
Old 12-09-2009, 11:50 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4758, CSX 381 Keith Craft 482 w/ Weber 48 IDA's
Not Ranked     

Quote:
You don't drive diamonds. If you're buying a trailer queen and plan to truck the car from show to show, then I suppose a "flawless diamond" finish will be a pre-requisite.

The factory paint on many of these cars (pick your brand) are actually quite stellar. Most every SPF owner that I know who took delivery of a car with flaws, and who wasn't a complete azz about it, had the dealer take care of them au gratis. Solids are usually easier to blend/match than metallics, so a buyer should take that into consideration whether they plan to buy a turn-key-minus or have their own project painted by a pro.

Even the most perfect paint job will start to show war wounds with a little driving...it's inevitable.

-Dean
mattpatt,

If you ever want to see what a an absolutely gorgeous SPF factory paint job looks like, go to Dean's house and see his red/wht stripe Cobra. The glossiest non-custom paint I've ever seen. But Dean uses lots of microfibre cloths and some special spray stuff (forgot the name Dean) that really works. Let us know where you are and perhaps you can get together with one or more current SPF owners and they can go over the plusses and minusses of their cars with you. I don't care what kind of car you buy, there will always be one little thing that may not be exactly to your liking. But these are sports cars that get stuff thrown on them, or they kick up the stuff themselves.

At first, I used touch up paint to fix little stone chips and things like that, but after almost 8,000 miles, I started liking the road rash look and quit touching up. Still clean up the topside, but l'm leaving the lower bruises as is. Personal preference.

Welcome to the site, it's usually a very friendly place full of good information and great people to share ideas with. I have made friends with a lot of guys from CC. You just have to filter out some of the "no purpose at all" remarks that a very few members post on the forum. They think it's funny, while most of us think it's ridiculous. Best wishes on your quest for the right car.
Old 12-09-2009, 12:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance
Not Ranked     

My Superformance has almost 18,000 miles on it. Magnificent car. I have done the routine maintenance myself. I'm no mechanic - just teaching myself as I go along. It is a solid, reliable car. I love it.

Superformance builds a great, beautiful car. The other manufacturers talked about on this board make great cars too. They are all different. They all have their stories to tell. Part of the fun is figuring out which one is right for you and then finding it and buying it.

Look at some if you can. Get rides if you can.

But the real fun starts once you have your hands on the ONE.

Jack
Old 12-09-2009, 01:53 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokndad View Post
...But Dean uses lots of microfibre cloths and some special spray stuff (forgot the name Dean) that really works.
In the spirit of the season, I give you my secret sauce formula:

Pinnacle Souveran yellow Brazilian pure carnauba paste wax (expensive $#it!) followed by a spritz of Zaino #8. Apply with the softest micro fiber towels you can buy (not all microfibers are alike). Maximum depth and gloss will be achieved if the base surface is clean. Works good on most finishes but is best on DARK colors.

Pinnacle Souveran "carnauba paste wax" (not the liquid)
http://www.pinnaclewax.com/souveran.html

Zaino "Z-8" (liquid)
http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/...oduct_Count=12

That's pretty much it!

-Dean

Last edited by RedBarchetta; 12-09-2009 at 02:00 PM..
Old 12-09-2009, 02:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

If owners are accepting "flaws" in a new car there is not execuse. Let the flames begin. Let us not forget most have well over $50K in a new car. If you can paint one panel right the whole car should be right. I disagree most spf owners I have spoken too and seen there cars had no flaws in the paint. Dont try to make yourself feel better and say everyone has flaws in the paint because most dont.

I am sure the flames will come but I honestly feel you are better buying used than new, bugs are sorted, you test drive the vehicle, you touch the vehicle, very little unknows. You order new damage can occur in the shipping container, the installer, etc.

Quote:

-Dean
Old 12-09-2009, 02:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Spf #2925

Looks great, runs great, no problems and absolutely no regrets!
Attached Images

http://www.clubcobra.com/photopost/d..._IMAGE_014.jpg

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: