7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        
View Poll Results: Who will win the race - March 8, LV Speedway
The 458 Italia is unbeatable, wins all 3 22 17.32%
The 458 Italia is beatable, and loses 1 37 29.13%
The 458 Italia is beatable, and loses 2 or 3 14 11.02%
The 458 Italia is beatable, but the Cobra's driver isn't good enough, so it loses all 3 31 24.41%
The Italia's driver messes up, so it loses at least 1 23 18.11%
Voters: 127. You may not vote on this poll

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree1Likes

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2011, 05:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF2984 MK111, Roush 511 IR FE 8 Stack, Dynoed: [flywheel] 572HP at 6000 , 556# Torque at 4700, Bowler 4R70W Auto Transmision. Tires: Mickey T's S/R 26.0x10.0x15.0 F ,26.0x12.0x15.0 R Color, Bleck, because they told me it was Bleck, at the factory.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by KM480 View Post
No modifying the engine...no problem.
Swap out the Tremec for an automatic with a high stall converter and there are no more worries about the inexperienced Kirkham driver missing a shift.
Done and done!
Amen, one of the reasons I installed an auto tranny, but now we are giving away part of the Venture Capitalist's edge strategy. I expressed my opinion previously that this guy was no dumb ass. Only issue would be does he have the gonads and testosterone levels to smoke the Ferrari by breaking the ten second mark?

Yo Tommy, we need some information on your pal, why are you so quiet?

tin-man in China
Old 02-03-2011, 07:59 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Why should Tommy give the Cobra guy an edge up by letting him know about this thread or Club Cobra in general or giving him tips on how to run?

...so, it's left up to us to ferret out the mysterious Cobra guy and get him clued in so he can kick Tommy's arse. Oh Cobra guy, where are you???
Old 02-03-2011, 08:36 AM
Member of the north
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A Cobra
Not Ranked     

Every once-in-a-while there is a thread that is going to be fun to read. This is going to be such a thread.

PLease tell us all.

Old 02-03-2011, 08:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Black CSX 4910, Roush 511 8 stack
Not Ranked     

Since we haven't had a post from Ferrari guy in quite a while I am starting to wonder if one of them chickened out or it was all just trying to gather info before he even makes the bet with the guy. I, for one are calling BS until someone posts a date for the race.
Old 02-03-2011, 08:56 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

February 25 is the projected date, subject to various logistical problems. It's been posted already.
Old 02-03-2011, 03:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF#1245 w/ 1966 427 SO
Not Ranked     

Tommy said he was out of town, so that may be the reason he hasn't posted in awhile.
On the otherhand, I'm starting to wonder about the legitimacy of this thread too.
I seem to recall early on in this discussion, Tommy saying he was posting with fellow Ferrari owners about the race. Now, recently he said he "just started" posting on a Ferrari forum.

Oh well.....................still a fun read!

RodKnock also made a good point on the previous page. If the Cobra driver is any good at all and gets down the 1/4 mile in a hurry, he may very well be kicked off the track. It depends on the track, but I know at Route66 outside of Chicago I was asked to leave (because of my speed thru the quarter) for lack of a full cage. I don't know if people remember Dave Rodak, but I remember him taking his 2nd SPF to Route66 (700hp Shelby block 527cu in KC build) and making a couple runs spinning his tires most of the way (mid 12's I think it was) to get a feel for the car. Then he made another pass and recorded a 10 sec et at nearly 140mph.
They kicked his ass off the track FAST. I don't think he was ever allowed back!

Last edited by TerrysSPF; 02-03-2011 at 03:34 PM..
Old 02-03-2011, 05:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Ferrari 458 Italia (not quite a Cobra)
Not Ranked     

Hi all. Back in DC. I really enjoy the commentary and thoughts about the cars. I'm mostly done with the forum, though, because of the constant suggestions that the race is a lie. For goodness sakes, I've said when the race is likely to occur and where. I've invited anyone to come in DC and see my car. I've spoken with GranTurismo, which says they will ship the car for $1750 each way, and that I need to send it roughly ten days in advance. I've told you everything I know about his car, even where it is. I haven't invited him on to this forum precisely because I don't want him to learn from it and get suggestions, though I have told him that I'm on some kind of Cobra forum. The idea that the gap between posting yesterday and today is too long and creates suspicion strikes me as just plain weird. I do know that before leaving for San Diego for a week, he put his car into some kind of specialty shop in Las Vegas; there can't be more than one or two of those. But I have no need or desire to try and prove to you that the race is real -- I've really enjoyed the thoughtful and playful banter about the cars, and learning about whether I'm a dog in this. Just recognize that the repeated suggestions that this is (inexplicably) some kind of (bizarre) scam make this a much less interesting place to come and talk with you about the race, to invite people who want to come, and to post the video and the results. Just think about it from my perspective. -Tom
Old 02-03-2011, 05:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Don't go this is just starting to get fun. You are right - there can only be a few of those specialty shops in Vegas - I'm sure somebody here can think of the name of the one shop... It's ummmm Carroll somebody - geez I forget. I heard he really like to beat Ferrari's in races, at least he used to. I wonder ....
Old 02-03-2011, 06:06 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
...strikes me as just plain weird.
Your right Tommy, it is wierd. I suggested earlier that folks calm down in that regard and I personally see no valid reason to question the facts at this time.

LET IT GO GUYS!!! Quit sticking your foot in your mouth and being all paranoid. It will shake out in the end, or not, so relax already.

Tommy, my personal apologies for the rude behaviour of a few posters on this thread with their panties in a knot.
Old 02-03-2011, 06:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF#1245 w/ 1966 427 SO
Not Ranked     

No "panties in a knot" here Ernie. I was simply making an observation.
And besides, you have to admit that after 8+ years of being associated with this site (which we both have) you can't tell me that you haven't seen a TON of phony posters coming here to yank our chains.

I don't mean any harm or anything personal Tommy. But you also have to look at this from OUR perspective.

Hey, I hope you ARE legit. It makes a good story even better, and besides............it would be a heck of a video.
Hope you stick around.
Old 02-03-2011, 06:42 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 SC s/n 718, 428 FE
Not Ranked     

The Cobra is in a shop in LV? Sounds like some 'tuning' going on here. I would not think this Cobra guy doesn't know what his car is all about. He's just baiting the line. This Cobra just may kick some ass. Remember, the Ferrari guy is a rookie with his car. How many non-racers are comfortable in their new 180k car at over 100 mph?
Old 02-03-2011, 07:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF2984 MK111, Roush 511 IR FE 8 Stack, Dynoed: [flywheel] 572HP at 6000 , 556# Torque at 4700, Bowler 4R70W Auto Transmision. Tires: Mickey T's S/R 26.0x10.0x15.0 F ,26.0x12.0x15.0 R Color, Bleck, because they told me it was Bleck, at the factory.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excaliber View Post
Why should Tommy give the Cobra guy an edge up by letting him know about this thread or Club Cobra in general or giving him tips on how to run? ...so, it's left up to us to ferret out the mysterious Cobra guy and get him clued in so he can kick Tommy's arse. Oh Cobra guy, where are you???
Without proof of this other guys existance how do we know we ar not being played? Granted this is a fun thread and its got the attention of many club members, but a) I cannot find any reference to a Thomas Gold, attorney at law, in Maryland and b) have asked for specific detail to be made availabe about Tommys pal, but so far our lawyer friend has remained silent.

That said, this thread has received over 7823 hits and over 194 posts in five dyas, not sure if that is a record, I guess Jamo could advise on that point, meaning there are a lot of folks interesed in seeing the Venture Capital guy's Cobra smoke the Ferrari.

John AKA, tin-man

Last edited by tin-man; 02-03-2011 at 07:54 PM.. Reason: Cut some comments
Old 02-03-2011, 07:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Factory Five, 302 powerdyne supercharged
Not Ranked     

Tom, if you decide to never come back here, I'll understand. Besides, your a prancing pony guy and this is a cobra site. This thread has been one heck of a read. I'm sorry if a few of us ruffled your feathers wrong.

I have one request though. After the race, can you post a link of the video. I'd love to see it.
Old 02-03-2011, 07:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZOERA-SC7XX View Post
The Cobra is in a shop in LV? Sounds like some 'tuning' going on here. I would not think this Cobra guy doesn't know what his car is all about. He's just baiting the line. This Cobra just may kick some ass. Remember, the Ferrari guy is a rookie with his car. How many non-racers are comfortable in their new 180k car at over 100 mph?
If I was in Vegas, I would take it to Toms Motorsports and get an alignment and tuneup. I would tell him what I was doing and have him adjust the suspension and carb accordingly.

PS.. The Ferrari is more like $270k +/- $20k depending on options. The good thing is they are really pretty easy to drive, as others have pointed out the computers do all the work.
Old 02-03-2011, 08:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 427 brushed aluminum with Keith Craft 527C.I. all aluminum FE
Not Ranked     

Know the Cobra and the owner and it is planned to go down. I may try to find out how I can get in on all of this fun in the future. Been known to drive one of those pretty hard. Sounds like a lot of fun.

Keith Craft
Old 02-03-2011, 09:06 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobray-C3, The 60's body lines on todays chassis technology
Not Ranked     

Keith,
What are your thoughts on his engine, can you shed a little light on the components?
Old 02-03-2011, 09:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 427 brushed aluminum with Keith Craft 527C.I. all aluminum FE
Not Ranked     

I was ask to not get to descriptive and scare of anyone. It will come down to how well they both drive and something that could be real critical if they use the christmas tree to start the race is that they know how to leave on it. Reaction time could be the difference. Should be interesting for sure.

Good luck to all.
Old 02-03-2011, 10:00 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobray-C3, The 60's body lines on todays chassis technology
Not Ranked     

I can respect your position, thanks. I look forward to seeing the video when it comes out. Just a hunch but I'd take the bet for the Cobra to get at least 1 out of 3.
Old 02-04-2011, 03:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Some polish thing... With some old engine
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by vettestr View Post
Keith,
What are your thoughts on his engine, can you shed a little light on the components?
OK, I'll have a stab...
650-700 hp Keith Craft Engine ;-)
Good for 10.5 sec run

Tommy - I hope you didn't bet the car...

PS: Really I have no idea
For crying out loud I live on the other side of the world
:

Or maybe I do.
Just be safe...
Old 02-04-2011, 03:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithc8 View Post
I was ask to not get to descriptive and scare of anyone. It will come down to how well they both drive and something that could be real critical if they use the christmas tree to start the race is that they know how to leave on it. Reaction time could be the difference. Should be interesting for sure.

Good luck to all.
Just sent you a PM. John AKA, tin-man