7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        
View Poll Results: Who will win the race - March 8, LV Speedway
The 458 Italia is unbeatable, wins all 3 22 17.32%
The 458 Italia is beatable, and loses 1 37 29.13%
The 458 Italia is beatable, and loses 2 or 3 14 11.02%
The 458 Italia is beatable, but the Cobra's driver isn't good enough, so it loses all 3 31 24.41%
The Italia's driver messes up, so it loses at least 1 23 18.11%
Voters: 127. You may not vote on this poll

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree1Likes

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2011, 05:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF2984 MK111, Roush 511 IR FE 8 Stack, Dynoed: [flywheel] 572HP at 6000 , 556# Torque at 4700, Bowler 4R70W Auto Transmision. Tires: Mickey T's S/R 26.0x10.0x15.0 F ,26.0x12.0x15.0 R Color, Bleck, because they told me it was Bleck, at the factory.
Not Ranked     
Default Put a face to the name...........

For those folks on the forum who would like to put a face to the name of our friend Tommy, visit Tom Goldstein on the Wikipedia site: and click on Harvard Law School profile of Thomas Goldstein

Thomas C. Goldstein (Tom Goldstein) is an American attorney famous as an advocate before and blogger about the Supreme Court of the United States. He was a founding partner of Goldstein and Howe, a Washington, D.C. firm...

This is one hellova guy, his credentials are awesome.

That said, I'm still backing the Cobra guy.

Cheers, tin-man
Old 02-06-2011, 05:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Factory Five 5.0 EFI
Not Ranked     

Tommy, I think not letting have drag radials while you have the luxury of launch control stacks the deck WAY in your favor. Even with those it will be a close race. Some of those guys on Ferrari chat really underestimate hat thee cars can do. My Factory Five has an almost stock 5.0, 250HP maybe on a great day, and it runs in the upper twelves with street tires. That was the first and only night I had the car on the track. I can't wait to see the video. One more thing, I saw a 458 heading to Road Atlanta and hadn't heard of one. When I got home I had to look up what it was. Bad ride you have there and good luck to both of you and most of all stay safe.
Old 02-06-2011, 06:07 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCR GT 40 & 1966 Fairlane 390 5 speed
Not Ranked     
Smile

I love this thread

keep it coming

Dwight

I'm pulling for the Cobra of course

Dwight
Old 02-06-2011, 06:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates, Vette suspension, Baer 6P brakes, 540 cid Chevy, Haltech Fuel Injection
Not Ranked     

I like all this discussion, but coming from someone who drives a 10 second Cobra, this Kirkham is going to lose; probably BIG-TIME. Ask Ernie about his experience with his 'big' HP engine and he couldn't get to the mid-11s.

I have never seen a Kirkham timeslip in the 10s. Not saying it can't happen, but it doesn't seem to. Maybe because of the owner demographic more than the cars' potential, but... Just sayin'.

And blitz's 600 HP may well be less than he thinks as installed with exhaust, etc... Many of y'all know that story. I built equal-length 2-1/4" primary tube headers with merged collectors and straight-through (perforated, not louvered) glass-packs. Mine produces over 540RWHP and over 650 RWTQ. And I need it ALL, plus an auto trans, in order to run 10.6 at 130mph, but my car is 2800 lb, not 2350 like this Kirkham, so maybe he has something I have not yet seen.

I will come right out and make a prediction that I will stand by that blitz is gonna lose easily. His experience in adjusting his technique and the car's capability does not seem to be 'seasoned' - no offense blitz, but you keep talking about nearly killing yourself while running 13s. Further, I bet his HP is way down from the engine dyno power.

Now, there are three AZ Cobras that run in the 10s. I would be happy to show mr prancing donkey my taillights. Maybe a run for pinks would be in order? My poor-boy, home-made, hand-built, POS fiberplastic kit car against million dollar check-writing ability. I might get rich off the deal...
Old 02-06-2011, 07:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #2920 w/ Keith Craft 408
Not Ranked     

Wait a minute…back up the clock.

When the chicken farmer sent his cars to battle Enzo’s iconic redheads, it wasn’t a quarter mile at a time.

When the tire smoke clears at the strip…head to the local road circuit….double or nothing.

Hey - it is Vegas, right?
Old 02-06-2011, 08:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Since the race is being held in Vegas, I bet some sports book could make a killing taking some action.

My SBF Austin-Healey build:
http://forum.britishv8.org/read.php?13,8264
Old 02-06-2011, 10:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

The part I like is everybody is taking what the cobra driver is saying at face value . That's how you get a sucker to step up . I just got the car , I just put it together and I'm new to this drag racing thing . You say what needs to be said to get the money higher or lengths spotted . I've seen it alot of times , it's funny to watch negotiations for street races . Seen alot of guys bite off more than they could chew . With the amount of stress created this could be over on the first run . I can't wait for the outcome !
Old 02-06-2011, 11:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR
Not Ranked     

If I remember correctly, Keith Craft got his Kirkham down to the low 10's at the Run-N-Gun a few years back. Although I think has was making over 700 bhp, running billboards, and had to do 2nd gear launches that wreaked havoc on his clutch.
I still think that unless Tommy screws up, it will be money in the bank for him. Cheers.
Thomas
Old 02-06-2011, 11:48 AM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 184/482ci Shelby
Not Ranked     

Blitzforce...two things.

First...howza 'bout breaking things into a paragraph or two (damn...another Rick Lake?).

Second...you seem to have what I earlier described as a common build among Kirkham owners (my Boghosian 482ci's about the same). Do NOT screw this up. For better or worse, you seem to have placed yourself in the role of representing the Cobra world at this moment in time.

Take a look at the thread about the comparison of the modern GT500 and the modern Cobra...folks are quite willing to attack the driver for what they consider to be less than a stellar performance. Assuming it was Gary Patterson's time (versus the media rep's), it obviously doesn't matter who you are around here. Gary's probably got more seat time at speed in Cobras (and other hyper-conveyances) than anyone on this board.

[The video was obviously the product of a PR firm's mind.]

In other words, if you screw this up, we will not be above hiring very small children from an Asian sweatshop to converge upon your arruminum body with tiny little hammers.

TommyGold (now that your presence on this planet has been asstablished)...be patient at the line. Let him go. You can only beat yourself (which I think can happen). It's like waiting for that first question from the panel...be ready to nail it.

The answer to the big question? Steelers.

Old 02-06-2011, 11:50 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

As much money as there appears to be on the line, not to mention prestige, I'd say screw the clutch and use 2nd for the launch. Problem with that is, how many practice runs do you get using 2nd and how many clutches do you replace before the actual race?

Could you even make THREE runs launching in 2nd? Well, it all comes down to the FINAL DRIVE RATIO'S. I know what WILL work, and work well. Something like I had, was sweet, close ratio top loader with 3:31 rear gear was just about perfect for the 1/4 mile.

Close Ratio top loader 1st gear: 2.32
Rear Gear: 3.31
Total final gear ratio? Who can do that calc, it escapes me... (I think it's 9.4)

Assuming the Cobra is running a TKO.
TKO600 1st gear: 2.87 (assumes a .64 over drive non road race version).
Rear Gear: Unknown, 3.5 maybe?
Total final gear ratio? (I think it's 10.1)

Assuming the Cobra is running a TKO.
TKO600 2nd gear: 1.89 (assumes a .64 over drive non road race version).
Rear Gear: Unknown, 3.5 maybe?
Total final gear ratio? (I think it's 6.5)

Hmmm,,, sounds pretty high, might loose the clutch.

Last edited by Excaliber; 02-06-2011 at 12:07 PM..
Old 02-06-2011, 12:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Ferrari 458 Italia (not quite a Cobra)
Not Ranked     
Default The Kirkham versus 458 verdict

Ok, this is the place to cast your vote.
Old 02-06-2011, 12:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

All - I've started a new thread that has a poll for you to cast your (public) votes on the outcome of the race. Update, moderator helpfully merged it into this thread..

Last edited by tommygold; 02-06-2011 at 01:27 PM..
Old 02-06-2011, 12:44 PM
Full Blown Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Premier Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 427 S/C, Twin Paxton 511 FE
Not Ranked     

If the Kirkham in question has a driver as good as the 458's technology, you'd lose the bet (3 for 3).
That's my vote.
Old 02-06-2011, 12:56 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2613 Titanium w/Black, Roush 402SR
Not Ranked     

What about choice 5..."who cares!"

No stop signs, speed limit - Nobody's gonna slow me down - Like a wheel, gonna spin it
Old 02-06-2011, 01:14 PM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 184/482ci Shelby
Not Ranked     

Merged the poll with this thread...also added another choice.

Last edited by Jamo; 02-06-2011 at 01:18 PM..
Old 02-06-2011, 01:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR track car, SL-C track car
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by tin-man View Post
But if this -as you say- all about bragging rights, it's a testament to Carrol Shelby's creation that almost a half century later, you're wondering if you can beat him a quarter million dollar car.

tin-man
Point taken, but a Kirkham with a KC big block isn't exactly pocket change.
Old 02-06-2011, 01:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

This might be more interesting if it were a track race and a drag race
Old 02-06-2011, 02:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR
Not Ranked     

67FEfastback, that would be interesting. Perhaps that can be the next bet between them.
Old 02-06-2011, 02:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

67FE: He refuses to road race me. That wouldn't be close.
Old 02-06-2011, 02:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance
Not Ranked     

I just find it hilarious that a guy that can afford a 458 wastes his time on this web site.
Closed Thread