7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        
View Poll Results: Who will win the race - March 8, LV Speedway
The 458 Italia is unbeatable, wins all 3 22 17.32%
The 458 Italia is beatable, and loses 1 37 29.13%
The 458 Italia is beatable, and loses 2 or 3 14 11.02%
The 458 Italia is beatable, but the Cobra's driver isn't good enough, so it loses all 3 31 24.41%
The Italia's driver messes up, so it loses at least 1 23 18.11%
Voters: 127. You may not vote on this poll

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree1Likes

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2011, 06:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR
Not Ranked     

I would think NHRA rules may not apply since this is a non NHRA event and they may just rent the track for an hour or something similiar. On a former IHRA track in Spokane you just had to wear a helmet and sign a waiver. Cheers.
Thomas
Old 02-05-2011, 06:26 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thats it twin turbo, the rules vary from track to track and even from event to event. I recall there was some concern last summer when you, and others including myself, ran at the Medford track. I brought my arm restraints and Nomex jacket, just in case there was a problem.

But nobody even blinked an eye when you ran, what was it, low, LOW 10's (WOW). I couldn't get out of the 12's with the basically "all new" setup I was running. But I know my car is in the 11's when I get it all figured out,,, again. How fast really is dependant on the driver knowing his car.

I've recently considered trying a launch in 2nd gear and bypassing 1st all together. Or, an extremely short shift from 1st to 2nd.
Old 02-05-2011, 06:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Ferrari 458 Italia (not quite a Cobra)
Not Ranked     

Gentlemen, the post on the previous page is definitely from my boy, though that was really one of his tamer outbursts, for sure. -Tom
Old 02-05-2011, 06:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster; 351W
Not Ranked     

I live in Las Vegas and have seen them enforce that rule. They have been pretty safety oriented in the past. It is one of the largest motorsports complexes around and I understand their insurance rates are substantial - at least that is what the clubs renting the road race courses tell me. I thought perhaps the race would take place during a "Midnight Mayhem" event but I do not see it on the schedule. Formal schedule shows nothing going on at the strip that weekend.
Old 02-05-2011, 06:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Ferrari 458 Italia (not quite a Cobra)
Not Ranked     

Following up -- yeah, his engine is KC, which isn't so great for me. -tg
Old 02-05-2011, 07:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF2984 MK111, Roush 511 IR FE 8 Stack, Dynoed: [flywheel] 572HP at 6000 , 556# Torque at 4700, Bowler 4R70W Auto Transmision. Tires: Mickey T's S/R 26.0x10.0x15.0 F ,26.0x12.0x15.0 R Color, Bleck, because they told me it was Bleck, at the factory.
Not Ranked     
Default Yeah, but..............

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKnock View Post
Are you at liberty to say what the specs are of your engine? Did Keith Craft build it?

I love Ferrari's and I own a Kirkham, which I dearly love, but my brain tells me the Ferrari will win. Tom could hit mid-12's, make a mistake or two, and still beat you with you in the 13's.
Rodknock, blitzforce only has to smoke the Ferrari once and he walks away with all the gelt. Blitzforce, you made an oustanding wager and your pal walked into it with his eyes wide open. My money is on the Cobra so drive it like there is no tomorrow, smoke the Ferrari and make us all proud. Hell, you will be establishing a legend and this thread will become one of the most talked about in a long, long time.

It is also encouraging to hear your gonads are bigger than Tommy's, you'll need em.

Cheers, tin-man

Last edited by tin-man; 02-05-2011 at 07:20 PM..
Old 02-05-2011, 07:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF2984 MK111, Roush 511 IR FE 8 Stack, Dynoed: [flywheel] 572HP at 6000 , 556# Torque at 4700, Bowler 4R70W Auto Transmision. Tires: Mickey T's S/R 26.0x10.0x15.0 F ,26.0x12.0x15.0 R Color, Bleck, because they told me it was Bleck, at the factory.
Not Ranked     

It is also encouraging to hear your gonads are bigger than Tommy's, you'll need em.

Cheers, tin-man[/quote]

blitzforce, one more thought, I have to think that despite all the bravado supporting this smack down, Tommy's gotta be considering he's racing his new quarter mil plus Ferrari and drag racing voids the warrantee, so unless he can afford to toss that type of dough to the wind, that's one factor that could influence the amout of pressure he applies to the pedal, giving you one more point on the edge scale. Just my two cents. tin-man
Old 02-05-2011, 07:29 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #185, Shelby Alloy 482; sold
Not Ranked     

Fun thread. I've been unsuccessful ignoring it.

I've driven both cars. My Kirkham also develops 628 ft-lbs of peak torque, courtesy of FE Specialties. Very difficult to keep in a straight line when floored.

My money is on the 458. Just sayin.
Old 02-05-2011, 07:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Someone is going to get smoked unless they can hire a driver I took out my buddies SPF with my wifes SLK55 because he couldnt drive for s***
Old 02-05-2011, 07:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinclair Snake View Post
Someone is going to get smoked unless they can hire a driver I took out my buddies SPF with my wifes SLK55 because he couldnt drive for s***
that's what makes this smackdown event all the more compelling, we got two guys drivin' for big bucks and neither of them will back-off, well at least not so far.

That said, I sincerely hope both of these guys consider the risks involved and the absolute downside to this race if for one second they disregard the notion that we on the forum know to be very true being, "treat me with respect, or I will kill you" and pray that it will not happen.

John, AKA, tin-man
Old 02-05-2011, 08:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary-427 stroker
Not Ranked     
Default Cobra heads up

Hey buddy, get some of these and HOLD ON

Your only hope. Use the 325's.

Last edited by Mdman352; 02-05-2011 at 08:20 PM..
Old 02-05-2011, 08:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary-427 stroker
Not Ranked     
Default What happens when the rubber (drag radial) hits the road......

Drag radials and half shafts do not play well together....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...H8FBFtk7o#t=5s
Old 02-05-2011, 09:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX4990-shelby 427
Not Ranked     

I have never been beaten by a Ferrrari. But, it wasn't the car, it was the driver that I beat.
Old 02-05-2011, 09:06 PM
Full Blown Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Premier Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 427 S/C, Twin Paxton 511 FE
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzforce View Post
I have real mans car, no paddle shifting bull****, no launch control, no power steering, no abs breaks, no traction control, and no air bags... I think my balls are bigger than yours tommy boy, but we will see....
I said it before and I'll say it again. It's not you vs tommygold or the Kirkham vs the 458. It's YOU vs the 458.
PRACTICE. PRACTICE. PRACTICE.
Practice your launch. Practice your 2-3 shift. Read threads on pushing it forward (not following a typical 'H' pattern when shifting from 2-3) and practice some more.
It can be done but it's all on YOU!

Make us proud!
Old 02-05-2011, 09:52 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

On the third gear shift:

Open palm, SIMPLY push it forward, it will find the gate. If YOU try to find the gate, you'll mess up the shift much of the time. Let the SPRING in the gear shift mechanism find the gate. Open palm, push forward, that's it.

Steeda TriAx has an even stronger spring and better gate than the stock shifters do. Even then, if you try to hard to shift following an H pattern, you can still screw up. But Steeda is pretty awesome for making the 3rd gear everytime.
Old 02-05-2011, 09:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR
Not Ranked     

If Tommy doesn't screw up any of the 3 runs, I think it will be like money in the bank for him. Thats a big "if" though. I would sure love the to see the Cobra make a 10 second pass and prove me wrong. Cheers.

Last edited by twin turbo; 02-05-2011 at 10:04 PM..
Old 02-05-2011, 10:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: superformance gt40
Not Ranked     

What do you guys think are the chances of cobra winning if you set a line?
Old 02-05-2011, 11:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Nothing else:

"PRACTICE. PRACTICE. PRACTICE"

Either car has the capacity to win, it's down to the driver.
Or get another driver. Under a helmet your opponent wouldn't know the difference ;-)

Talk is cheap, go race!
Old 02-06-2011, 04:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommygold View Post
Gentlemen, the post on the previous page is definitely from my boy, though that was really one of his tamer outbursts, for sure. -Tom
I think I'm seeing the pattern here - refined, smooth, calculating with high-tech Ferrari on one side and brash, rough, balls-to-walls with low-tech (relatively speaking) Cobra on the other side. Should be interesting.
Old 02-06-2011, 05:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanEC View Post
I think I'm seeing the pattern here - refined, smooth, calculating with high-tech Ferrari on one side and brash, rough, balls-to-walls with low-tech (relatively speaking) Cobra on the other side. Should be interesting.
DanEC, interesting analogy, I too had the same thoughts, but remember the guy in Vegas is a Venture Capitalist and the ones I know hire attorneys to do their bidding, are smooth, well articulated, do incredible deals and generally have a knack of seeing the business potential in start-ups. That said, it seems blitzforce got Tommy all figured gave him the sucker bet and the rest as they say, will be history.

blitzforce, are you pulling your tranny and installing an automatic, it would give you one more notch on the edge factor? Also, not sure if you are reading the comments on the Ferrari Chat thread but one poster "430man" made the following observation in response to Toms post:

But if this -as you say- all about bragging rights, it's a testament to Carrol Shelby's creation that almost a half century later, you're wondering if you can beat him a quarter million dollar car.

In that regard, you're already the loser.

concluding Tommy is taking these comments seriously there may be a case building for a buy out as you guys get closer to the race date, thus you win. But then again you already factored this correct?

Cheers, tin-man