Old 05-18-2015, 05:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham, 427
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al G View Post
I wonder who provided the information for the photo captions. They refer to the cars as the remaining original chassis cars started in 1965. I think it has been established that is not the case.
I've been interviewed enough times to understand what I say is pretty much 180 degrees from what is printed.

As I mentioned I really don't think Bill nor Joe would intentionally deceive anyone. It's just not in their nature.

David
"Fear is the thief of dreams."
Old 05-18-2015, 06:11 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: owned Kirkham for 11 years
Not Ranked     

David,

I`m sure glad to see you active on the forums again.

Your first hand insight is always appreciated, and the car looks great.

Maurice #318
bwcobra15 likes this.
Old 05-18-2015, 06:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold - Shelby Cobra CSX6045, 468 ci all aluminum Shelby engine
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kirkham View Post
I've been interviewed enough times to understand what I say is pretty much 180 degrees from what is printed.

As I mentioned I really don't think Bill nor Joe would intentionally deceive anyone. It's just not in their nature.

David
David - it is your statements that I was referring to. But it appears someone is intentionally or unintentionally allow the other claim to continue.
Old 05-18-2015, 10:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I wonder if Jaguar also went through this "Spanish Inquisition" in a forum when they announced building the other Coupes ;-)
Old 05-19-2015, 09:38 AM
Abnormal CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Don't think I'll be getting a Cobra for a long time... Do have '94 RX-7 R2.
Not Ranked     

Has any pricing been announced yet?

It would be interesting to see how that plays into this discussion. When the completion cars first came around, they were 500K. Presumably they will be more now. But how much? Lets just take a wild guess and say 1M this time. What is that in relation to the price of buying an original SC? If the price is similar, why not just buy an original instead?

Last edited by 1ntCobra; 05-19-2015 at 09:42 AM.. Reason: greemar and speling
Old 05-19-2015, 09:41 AM
Abnormal CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Don't think I'll be getting a Cobra for a long time... Do have '94 RX-7 R2.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
I think I remember reading an article 15 years ago or so, that stated that you copied the frame of your street car, csx3106 or something like that. So it was really McClusky's frame. You sly dog you. Are you and McClusky still friends?
Of course, more recently McClusky lent David a Daytona Coupe frame and body so that the Kirkhams could start building coupes too.
Old 05-19-2015, 09:46 AM
Abnormal CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kirkham View Post
Great link! Like I said...I have been too busy to even follow what happened after it left here.

Not my favorite color of blue...but it is Guardsman Blue. It is what they were back in the day and I do like the color for that reason. Mike always cheats the color a bit and makes it a bit more blue and less green. He does fabulous work.

David
Oh man, it Guardsman Blue, but it is not really Guardsman Blue. How can this be so accurate, but not so accurate?
Old 05-19-2015, 10:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ntCobra View Post
Of course, more recently McCluskey lent David a Daytona Coupe frame and body so that the Kirkhams could start building coupes too.
Mike has been a true friend for a long, long time

David
Old 05-19-2015, 10:02 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Has any pricing been announced yet?

It would be interesting to see how that plays into this discussion. When the completion cars first came around, they were 500K. Presumably they will be more now. But how much? Lets just take a wild guess and say 1M this time. What is that in relation to the price of buying an original SC? If the price is similar, why not just buy an original instead?
I think the argument here is that when you're very wealthy and you can buy virtually whatever you want, price is unimportant. The cars can't be driven on public roads, so people will just buy it and let it sit or hang somewhere.

Also, I doubt pricing can be announced, because each car will likely be different in terms of the very rare and expensive OEM parts. As the OEM parts inventory dwindles and more repro parts are utilized, theoretically, the cars should become cheaper. However, I'd expect price increases over time, just because the cost of labor and materials increase.
Old 05-19-2015, 10:10 AM
Senior CC Premier Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX #4xxx with CSX 482; David Kee Toploader
Not Ranked     

Maybe send one through the right auction house with a reserve and see what the market will say?
Old 05-19-2015, 10:16 AM
Full Blown Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Premier Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 427 S/C, Twin Paxton 511 FE
Not Ranked     

Rod,
You're too hung up on "can't be driven on public roads".
I've seen my fair share of race cars on the streets, even in CA.
I'm not saying it could be done legally...

Last edited by rodneym; 05-19-2015 at 10:21 AM..
Old 05-19-2015, 10:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKnock View Post
I think the argument here is that when you're very wealthy and you can buy virtually whatever you want, price is unimportant. The cars can't be driven on public roads, so people will just buy it and let it sit or hang somewhere.

Also, I doubt pricing can be announced, because each car will likely be different in terms of the very rare and expensive OEM parts. As the OEM parts inventory dwindles and more repro parts are utilized, theoretically, the cars should become cheaper. However, I'd expect price increases over time, just because the cost of labor and materials increase.
Though I really don't know (I haven't asked Bill or Joe pricing) I suspect we have a winner. It wouldn't surprise me if they were sold privately.

David
Old 05-19-2015, 10:43 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodneym View Post
Rod,
You're too hung up on "can't be driven on public roads".
I've seen my fair share of race cars on the streets, even in CA.
I'm not saying it could be done legally...
Yep, you're correct. Anyone that drives an uninsured unregistered vehicle on a public road is a moron.

There are people who think I do some nutty stuff, but it's legal and I can't hurt others.

I guess I'm a law abiding citizen and worry about the ramifications of liability, if one were to hit someone or something, since insurance would only cover driving on non-public roads. And then there's always potential confiscation and/or penalties, court time, etc., if caught.
Old 05-19-2015, 10:59 AM
Full Blown Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Premier Contributor

Not Ranked     

Rod,
It's my belief that a couple of these Cobras will be falsely registered and underinsured. But they're wealthy, so who cares? They don't, and I don't.
And speaking of liability...If a wealthy person in a falsely registered, underinsured (likely to have legal issues with a claim) race car hits you, you'd have a nice settlement.
Old 05-19-2015, 11:15 AM
Senior CC Premier Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX #4xxx with CSX 482; David Kee Toploader
Not Ranked     

I have personally seen guys drive their full race cars all over the place on public roads at the Pebble Beach Concours. And I mean P1 LeMans cars and the likes. During that weekend, it seems that the cops just sort of look the other way. Yes, those owners could care less...

I agree that for the average Joe, the liability of driving something built for race only and unregistered on the road leaves you wide open to losing everything.
Any insurance you might have would simply tell you that you're on your own.

And in an accident, you would be facing gross negligence of motor vehicle code, among probably many other bad things including possible loss of the vehicle. And God forbid you hurt someone!
Old 05-19-2015, 11:32 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
It's my belief that a couple of these Cobras will be falsely registered and underinsured. But they're wealthy, so who cares? They don't, and I don't.
I care. We have laws for a reason. And with social media and cell phone cameras, these wealthy people with their falsely registered and underinsured "Resurrection" Cobras will be all over the Internet and exposed for their stupidity. Or at least I hope.

Not that it had anything to do with insurance liability, but Paul Walker died in a crash as a passenger in a Porsche Carrera GT. These Cobras are stupid fast and bad things can happen to stupid people in stupid fast cars. It doesn't make alot of sense to me.

Quote:
And speaking of liability...If a wealthy person in a falsely registered, underinsured (likely to have legal issues with a claim) race car hits you, you'd have a nice settlement.
Maybe, but I'd prefer NOT to be a wealthy quadriplegic. I'd rather be me and healthy.
Bernica likes this.
Old 05-19-2015, 11:52 AM
Full Blown Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Premier Contributor

Not Ranked     

Rod,
Who are we kidding? Our Cobras are at least every bit a race car as these coming down the pike.
It is us, through SB100, who are the benificiaries. If I bought a Resurrection Cobra and couldn't register it, I'd be pissed, and with good reason.
We can drive ours. A Resurrection owner can't. Same car. And you're up in arms?
Old 05-19-2015, 12:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 S/C, Ford 427 Side-oiler 2x4 bbl
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Of course, more recently McClusky lent David a Daytona Coupe frame and body so that the Kirkhams could start building coupes too.
Is this the same Mike McClusky we used to race Quarter Midgets with, out of Baylands in San Jose CA?

I lost touch with him a few years ago after dropping off of the QMA.com web forums. Does anyone know how I can contact him (if it is indeed, him)?

TIA,
Phill
Old 05-19-2015, 12:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 S/C, Ford 427 Side-oiler 2x4 bbl
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernica View Post
I have personally seen guys drive their full race cars all over the place on public roads at the Pebble Beach Concours. And I mean P1 LeMans cars and the likes. During that weekend, it seems that the cops just sort of look the other way. Yes, those owners could care less...

FWIW, Pebble Beach is all privately owned, including the roads. That's why the cops don't mess with you during the Concours within the gates of Pebble.

Drive out the gate to Carmel or PG and watch the local's go nuts with a ticket book!

Phill
Old 05-19-2015, 12:15 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Rod,
Who are we kidding? Our Cobras are at least every bit a race car as these coming down the pike.
It is us, through SB100, who are the benificiaries. If I bought a Resurrection Cobra and couldn't register it, I'd be pissed, and with good reason.
We can drive ours. A Resurrection owner can't. Same car. And you're up in arms?
But mine is registered, legal, fully insured and I also don't drive it. The best of all worlds.

Yes, the two cars (our Kirkham's and the "Resurrection" Shelby Cobra) are roughly in the same ball park, though with twin Paxton's, your Kirkham is on a different Kirkham "plane" than my basic "nuts and bolts" Kirkham. But we're legal, fully insured and registered. Not sure what your point is.

I just think, if the very wealthy owner of a "Resurrection" Cobra wants to take the risk of driving his or her illegal, unregistered, uninsured uber expensive car on a public road, then maybe he or she might be willing to take additional risks (e.g., excessive speed, burnouts, donuts, side shows ), that you or I wouldn't.

Anyway, I'm not "up in arms." As I said earlier, I'd be at least mildly upset, if I were an owner of a 1960's CSX. And it seems that Evan, as an owner of one of the finest CSX4000's on the planet, is at least "tweaked" about Shelby calling them "completion" Cobras and giving them the designation of CSX 3000's. Me, I'm OK.