Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree300Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-20-2015, 10:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by leroy17 View Post
I appears your have concerned about a Chev.

Here is a way of looking at it.

It's like beer, pizza and sex............ Even if you think it's bad..... It's still good.

And if you have any one of these and your mates don't, well you got something to brag about.
Hey Leroy, not so much a problem as i dont get why you put a chev in a ford. Its like HSV v FPR, in my head theres stuff as a bloke you dont do, and that i thought was one of them, but times are obviously a changin.

My logic tells me the reasons are more of a cost issue, getting it past adr approval or it fits better. I dont know the answer and that was what i was trying to understand.
Old 09-20-2015, 10:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsboogie351 View Post
Jon, re Cobra ride....PM sent

Doug
Thanks doug, sent you one back
cheers
Jon
Old 09-20-2015, 10:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by xb-60 View Post
Jon,

There are a few of us around the place with Ford engines in our cars. We're probably the quieter ones, because we don't have to make excuses

Some advice - don't jump into it too quickly; if you see pictures of cars or features on cars, or colours etc. take copies and put them in a folder for reference. That way, you will narrow down on what you want, and you'll also become aware of what you don't want. More advice - use this forum; ask questions ...there's a lot of experience and knowledge here.

Cheers,
Glen
thanks glen, i wonder if our old mans new the influence they had. appreciate the advise, some good points in there.
Old 09-20-2015, 10:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival CR3516, LS3, Aussie Mike'd T-56, 3.70 LSD, AP brakes, Penske shocks
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoity View Post
Hey Leroy, not so much a problem as i dont get why you put a chev in a ford. Its like HSV v FPR, in my head theres stuff as a bloke you dont do, and that i thought was one of them, but times are obviously a changin.

My logic tells me the reasons are more of a cost issue, getting it past adr approval or it fits better. I dont know the answer and that was what i was trying to understand.
you keep saying it's a Ford. You know a Cobra was a British AC Ace with a Ford engine it, right?
Hoity likes this.
Old 09-20-2015, 10:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival CR3516, LS3, Aussie Mike'd T-56, 3.70 LSD, AP brakes, Penske shocks
Not Ranked     

just further, what we are building here are cars which look like Cobras. Open the bonnet on a Pace and you will be looking (marveling probably) at the fancy chassis, not what engine is in there. Nothing much left of an original Cobra these days other than the body shape and it has a V8 in it.
leroy17 and Hoity like this.
Old 09-20-2015, 10:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modena View Post
you keep saying it's a Ford. You know a Cobra was a British AC Ace with a Ford engine it, right?
Yeah i read up on the history, but in my little head its always been a ford cobra or a Ford AC cobra, Shelby ford cobra. I know shelby wanted/tried for chev motors first. Its never been a chev cobra, shelby and ford, dont know want Carroll did with chev?

Shelby made it famous with a ford motor, its why we have a forum like this.
Old 09-20-2015, 10:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Its funny Modena, i heading over to Eagle spares now to check out the chevs, still doesnt seem right but if its a better solution then, whats a bloke to do.

Still like the idea of a SBF though
Old 09-20-2015, 10:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

So do the SBF, it would be great. Just be prepared to pay a lot more the equivalent!
Hoity likes this.
Old 09-20-2015, 10:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Rat Rod Racer, LS1 & T56
Not Ranked     

Quote:

Who says it's a Ford? The car was originally built by AC. Prior to Shelby getting involved they ran AC, Bristol and Ford 6 cylinder engines.

Yes they were sold through Ford dealers in the US and Shelby has had close ties to Ford ever since (to Chrysler too).

If you are a purist and love your Fords then go with a Ford motor (I've owned plenty and still own one). What ever floats your boat.

I had the option of choosing a Ford motor but I chose the LS motor because I believe it was technically so much better than the old Windsor motor.

It's hard not to argue with a compact light weight all aluminium engine with it's deep skirted block and 6 bolt main bearing caps. O ring gaskets throughout etc. Huge aftermarket support and the factory ECU is easily re-tunable. They make 400HP without even turning a spanner and with good fuel economy. Throw a cam and some head porting at it and look out.

The advantage of building your own car is you can do it your way and not give a damn what anyone else thinks. Stick a triple rotor 20B turbo Mazda rotary in it if you like You would have the same result.... A lightweight frighteningly fast sports car that turns heads and starts conversations wherever you drive it.

Cheers
deano59, Gav, leroy17 and 2 others like this.

Old 09-20-2015, 10:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: absolute pace chassis #50 L98 & 6 speed auto
Not Ranked     

i used to think they way you are now but then i thought well did shelby use a jag diff and front end ? answer is no but nobody has a problem building there cobra using them .
i see the engine as the same if we are honest all we are building is a hot rod with a body that looks like a cobra , you could prob throw a dozen diff hotrod bodys onto the same chassis and nobody would care whats under the bonnet .
if you are trying to build a true replica you would replicate the suspension used as well they way i see it a lot of people seem to be a bit picky ie cant use a chev but dont give a rats what the rest of the car is built from ..
puts flame suit on now lol

just adding to this ive seen cobras fitted with all the listed engines some i shake my head at but they all are some ones pride and joy

lexus
fords small and big block
chev small and big block
turbo rb 30
superchared v6 commodore engine "why would you bother "
early holden 308's
and thats just in aust look in the uk and you get
rover v8's
ford 2 litre engines in pilgrem kits
jag 6 and v 12
bmw engines

and prob a heap i haven't seen yet

cheers dean
Hoity likes this.

Last edited by deano59; 09-20-2015 at 10:44 PM.. Reason: added to post
Old 09-20-2015, 10:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Mike View Post
Who says it's a Ford? The car was originally built by AC. Prior to Shelby getting involved they ran AC, Bristol and Ford 6 cylinder engines.

Cheers
You sure Mike about the 6 cyl FORD?

Exert "History of the 1962-1967 Shelby Cobra"
The AC Ace had utilized the pre-war BMW 2-liter, 6-cylinder engine, which was going out of production. Understanding that AC needed a replacement motor, Shelby tapped into his Ford connections to user their lightweight 260ci V-8. In the process, Shelby managed to get both sides to agree that the resultant sports car would be manufactured under the Shelby name. etc etc tec

Geez if BMW has some bloodline my cobra must be more genuine than I thought!
Hoity likes this.
Old 09-20-2015, 10:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Here's your answer...this one has a ford in it..... its not the original engine but it still has a ford power plant.

For the money though I'd prefer a matching numbers car. (If only I could afford it or be bothered.)

1962 Used Shelby Cobra CSX2000 For Sale at WeBe Autos Serving Long Island, NY, IID 9755169
Hoity likes this.
Old 09-20-2015, 11:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AP 289FIA 'English' spec.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
thanks glen, i wonder if our old mans new the influence they had. appreciate the advise, some good points in there.
Can blame a couple of Scalextric GT40s for a lifelong admiration for GT40s as well
....but got to say, I still have the Cobra but I don't have either of the GT40s (regrettably)

Cheers,
Glen
Hoity likes this.
Old 09-20-2015, 11:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by spookypt View Post
You sure Mike about the 6 cyl FORD?
I was referring to the Ruddspeed AC Ace. Ken Rudd fitted 2.6L Ford Zephyr 6 cylinder motors. My understanding is it was an option back in the day. It was also at the time the supply of Bristol motors was drying up.

I think the AC 2L six was their own design but I'm not sure. I'm pretty sure the Bristol 6 was a BMW design that was taken as part of the war reparations after WW2.

Cheers
Hoity likes this.

Old 09-20-2015, 11:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: absolute pace chassis #50 L98 & 6 speed auto
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Here's your answer...this one has a ford in it..... its not the original engine but it still has a ford power plant.

For the money though I'd prefer a matching numbers car. (If only I could afford it or be bothered.)

1962 Used Shelby Cobra CSX2000 For Sale at WeBe Autos Serving Long Island, NY, IID 9755169
cant see the mrs letting me mortgaging the house and each of us selling a kidney on the black market to raise the funds ..so i will just have to stick with what i have till i win x lotto to pay for it .
Hoity likes this.
Old 09-20-2015, 11:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Mike View Post
I was referring to the Ruddspeed AC Ace. Ken Rudd fitted 2.6L Ford Zephyr 6 cylinder motors. My understanding is it was an option back in the day. It was also at the time the supply of Bristol motors was drying up.

I think the AC 2L six was their own design but I'm not sure. I'm pretty sure the Bristol 6 was a BMW design that was taken as part of the war reparations after WW2.

Cheers
I was hoping mate that I may have had some lineage kudos. LOL
Hoity likes this.
Old 09-20-2015, 11:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by deano59 View Post
lexus
fords small and big block
chev small and big block
turbo rb 30
superchared v6 commodore engine "why would you bother "
early holden 308's
and thats just in aust look in the uk and you get
rover v8's
ford 2 litre engines in pilgrem kits
jag 6 and v 12
bmw engines

and prob a heap i haven't seen yet

cheers dean
We have a Dodge Viper V10 engine cobra up here in QLD and theres a V12 pegged to go in a Scotty Hampson creation. Bet it wont stay un turbo'd for long.
Hoity likes this.
Old 09-20-2015, 11:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
I was hoping mate that I may have had some lineage kudos. LOL
Your BMW link is definitely via the Bristol connection. Check out some of the history of Bristol. It's interesting reading.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bristol_Cars

I reckon the Bristol engine was a neat looking bit of kit. The head looks pretty cool with the carbs in the center.

Here's the Ruddspeed Ford Zephyr 6 version

Cheers
Hoity likes this.

Old 09-21-2015, 01:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

All very good points and I will concede that my history of the Cobra is not as complete as others.

That being said I have a Ford Performane Racing baseball cap I purchased for $25 about five years ago, if I got a chev I wouldn't feel right wearing the cap.

Went over to eagle auto parts to get some pricing on the options for a v8. I haven't explored the engineering side as to what kit, will this motor fit, or can I get adr approval.

As good as the chev looks from an engineering and performance point of view, I can't bring myself to get rid of my FPR cap. The 5.0L coyote could be the one, by the time you buy the ECU package for the chev, it's about $1500 dearer for the ford. That's for an approx 420 -450 hp package.

There maybe cheaper packages out there but this is a comparative perspective.
boxhead likes this.
Old 09-21-2015, 01:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Aussie mike, that reminds me of uncles Austin Healy 3000, great cars.

The poms had some great cars back in the day.