Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree300Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-21-2015, 01:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival #3199. 366ci L76, T56 6 speed, Blue circle custom paint, Australias most original cobra 2009-2010
Not Ranked     

Some options here:

SPECIALS SEP 2015

These guys are great.

Remember the coyote is a much larger engine - not sure if anyone has put one in a classic revival. They have gone\are going into Pace cars.
Hoity likes this.
Old 09-21-2015, 01:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Some great pricing.

Not ready to buy yet, even though it's gonna cost more the longer I leave with au dollar not doing us any favours for imports

What I have learnt so far.

I need to decide on a car kit
Put together a build list, with what drivetrain I want(motor gearbox) brakes, steering etc

Then find me an engineer and find out where we sit with getting ADR approval.

Does that sound right?
boxhead likes this.
Old 09-21-2015, 01:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: absolute pace chassis #50 L98 & 6 speed auto
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoity View Post
All very good points and I will concede that my history of the Cobra is not as complete as others.

That being said I have a Ford Performane Racing baseball cap I purchased for $25 about five years ago, if I got a chev I wouldn't feel right wearing the cap.

Went over to eagle auto parts to get some pricing on the options for a v8. I haven't explored the engineering side as to what kit, will this motor fit, or can I get adr approval.

As good as the chev looks from an engineering and performance point of view, I can't bring myself to get rid of my FPR cap. The 5.0L coyote could be the one, by the time you buy the ECU package for the chev, it's about $1500 dearer for the ford. That's for an approx 420 -450 hp package.

There maybe cheaper packages out there but this is a comparative perspective.
thats easy fixed buy the chev and i will chip in and buy you a new chev hat hell after 5 yrs that ford hat would be looking tattered looking than a 5 lt au engine .
Gav and Hoity like this.
Old 09-21-2015, 01:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival CR3516, LS3, Aussie Mike'd T-56, 3.70 LSD, AP brakes, Penske shocks
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenrocca View Post

Remember the coyote is a much larger engine - not sure if anyone has put one in a classic revival. They have gone\are going into Pace cars.
I looked at it, you would have to chop up the foot boxes.
Hoity likes this.
Old 09-21-2015, 02:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I tried calling Ian on the way home but got the message machine. Maybe a pace might be the go, having a look at the Kenmer tomorrow.

Hey daeno59, thanks for the offer, it's a bit like the baggy green, you keep the only one your given. I think I am stuck with having to do a ford. I have always been a ford boy, if grew up as Holden/chev fan I think it's a pretty easy option.
deano59 likes this.
Old 09-21-2015, 02:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force Mk I, 5L Windsor, TKO 600, enhanced Jag / Koni suspension & LSD Diff.
Not Ranked     

G'day Hoity

Welcome to the madhouse.

I see your a local boyo, well at least a SE suburbs location.

Depending on your timing to see Marty at Kenmer, you're more than welcome to drop into my garage at Aspendale Gardens. I'll probably be back home after lunch.

In terms of a kits, if I was building again I'd certainly consider Marty's cars. I'd say up front Marty was instrumental in the rebuild and addition of parts into my G-Force after a bingle many many moons ago.

However I spent more than my fair share of time in his factory working on my car amongst quite a number of Kenmer kits similarly being constructed by owners. So I've seen what was going into his kits and how well they are constructed.

Marty has stayed up to date in terms of use of modern parts and he has put a lot of thought and engineering into getting his cars practical to build and capable of fitting all sizes.

More importantly Marty is highly supportive and of course can fabricate whatever you are after to get your car finished to your taste and he is local!

Good luck on the hunt and send me a PM if you want to look at my G-Force.

For a heads up on my rebuild, have a look at the Slowy's cobra update thread that shows the current state of rebuild on my car.

Cheers
Hoity likes this.
Old 09-21-2015, 03:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival CR3514, LS3, Dual Quads, Holley Dominator EFI, TR6060, VE 3.7 LSD, AP Racing Brakes, 17x8 & 10 Custom Dragway Billet Wheels.
Not Ranked     

Hoity,
I too looked at Coyote and other Modular engines, too wide to fit between the CR foot wells as Ben says, some fibreglass surgery would be needed.
There is a CR being put together with a Ford donk in Vic at the moment coming along very well. 347 i think and looking the goods.
If you can get over the Ford thing thou, the different LS crate options, price, and after market bits and pieces is a big motivation for the GM donks, even the magic "427" number is available with the LS7, no matter what kit you go for.
I bought my LS3 from a damaged 9000k VE GTS, $7800 with ECU, wiring, pedals, and Tremec 6 speed still attached.

I see you're in Frankston, when you get to the pointy end of deciding, i'm more than happy to show you mine if CR is one of your finalists, as would any of the other Vic builders i'm sure, i'm at Tynong North between Pakenham and Warrigal.

cheers
Dave
Thor maine and Hoity like this.
Old 09-21-2015, 03:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks for the offer Stephen, if I can free up a little more time I will send a pm in the morning if that suits.
Old 09-21-2015, 03:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

That's interesting with CR not coping without mods, the Windsor motor is obviously narrower and that could be the option if I go with the CR. Eagle auto have a ford bluprint motor in any size that could work, pretty basic motor very old school compared to the chev and coyote. Cheaper too! 400hp $7500 roller cams
Old 09-21-2015, 03:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: absolute pace chassis #50 L98 & 6 speed auto
Not Ranked     

Quote:
That's interesting with CR not coping without mods, the Windsor motor is obviously narrower and that could be the option if I go with the CR. Eagle auto have a ford bluprint motor in any size that could work, pretty basic motor very old school compared to the chev and coyote. Cheaper too! 400hp $7500 roller cams
just remember what ever you choose must meet emissions thats one reason i bought a complete ve v8 calais so i got the engine /ecu wiring loom all sensors the cat convertors and the 6 speed auto . i sold the rolling shell off and the leather trim all the airbags ect ect in the end my motor/trans and all the stuff i need owes me around 3grand all up i even drove the ve home and the motor and box run very smooth and plenty of grunt in a heavy ve so should be great in a cobra ..
Hoity likes this.
Old 09-21-2015, 03:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AP 289FIA 'English' spec.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Mike View Post
.....The advantage of building your own car is you can do it your way and not give a damn what anyone else thinks....
Yes! Absolutely!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Mike View Post
..... Stick a triple rotor 20B turbo Mazda rotary in it if you like ....
Hey...wait a minute...

Cheers!
Glen
Hoity likes this.
Old 09-21-2015, 03:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Arntz, TKO600, 460
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Some great pricing.

Not ready to buy yet, even though it's gonna cost more the longer I leave with au dollar not doing us any favours for imports

?
I can maybe help with AUD/USD conversions with a 15 pip margin. Anything is possible.

Good work with the knowledge building, you will be a LS convert buy the end of the week. My previous Harrison was a LS, and nearly every outing someone wanted to know what engine, when they saw it, there was never any comments other than......wow!
Hoity likes this.
Old 09-21-2015, 04:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Pace Alumina 427 #69
Not Ranked     

Don't forget the old favs like G Force....solid car ,awesome body , Jag running gear. cheap entry price but be prepared to search junk yards for bits. One of my reasons for buying Pace was I didn't have to get a skyline this or Sigma that.
Old 09-21-2015, 05:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I don't think I will get past the ford thing, so I will stay with ford until something changes.

Next step is to decide on the kit, the pace does tick a lot of boxes, as do a few others.

I will start a spreadsheet to keep track of pros and cons. It's hard when everyone is rightly so passionate about there how and why.

Is there any particular kit which handles better than everyone else's, or are all the kits great. Ie who wins on the racetrack, any particular car brand or is it driver dependent?

Last edited by Hoity; 09-21-2015 at 06:38 AM..
Old 09-21-2015, 06:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Some polish thing... With some old engine
Not Ranked     

Hoity,
My car has spent a bit of time at Marty's (you'll see it there if you drop in), so I've also seen the kenmer chassis up close. Got to say the chassis looks about as tuff as they come, and all the underskin parts are easily obtained of the shelf should the worst ever happen.

You can't overlook that or be guaranteed of that with bespoke brand kits. AP, or even Kirkham.

That said, If you're keen to do a build and want hands on expert guidance, Marty at Kenmer is your man! Very welcoming, and tolerant of newbies getting in the way while he tries to work.

I must admit, I've learned plenty hanging out there, and has guided me through plenty of rookie mistakes.

Good luck with the research, and good to hear you won't be strayed to the dark side.
Hoity likes this.
Old 09-21-2015, 04:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Pace Alumina 427 #69
Not Ranked     

Sticking with a Ford motor is a good idea...I just couldn't fit a LS motor and yet I fully understand why people do. The Old 302 Windsor out of an AU Falcon is still compliant and fits easy into these cars, no stress. You can run the standard EFI to get started then upgrade later.
My bet is most of the kits will end up similar pricing once completed, paint will cost same, motor and gearbox will be same, also wheels and gauges. The decision will be can I out lay 30k to get started ( eg Pace) or can I afford half that?. The older kits have a much cheaper entry level and most of them will sell you individual parts where as Pace may want to sell you a block of parts.
Hoity likes this.
Old 09-21-2015, 04:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Ihave realised i am a ford boy, dont think i can change. Grew up on the back end of Moffat, then Dicky, Marcus etc
Which ford motor AB will be decided on after the kit is sorted, obviously as you mention getting approval is key. Was coyote dohc motor in the XR8 ?

So what kit?
Given we prefer the glass half full and dont like negative comments about other cars.
What cars really handle well, sorted suspension, properly engineered roll centres etc
Let preface this with I am no expert and struggle with some of the terminology when it comes to the discussion, the purists or race boys are all over this sort of stuff. Everybody appears to make a nice looking car, probably all are pretty stiff, what separates the best from the great is how that go round corner and maybe a slightly bumpy corner.
So what car goes round corners ?
Old 09-21-2015, 04:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I have realised i am a ford boy, don't think i can change. Grew up on the back end of Moffat, then Dicky, Marcus etc
Which ford motor AB will be decided on after the kit is sorted, obviously as you mention getting approval is key. Was coyote dohc motor in the XR8 ?

So what kit?
Given we prefer the glass half full and don't like negative comments about other cars.
What cars really handle well, sorted suspension, properly engineered roll centres etc
Let me preface this with I am no expert and struggle with some of the terminology when it comes to the discussion, race boys are all over this sort of stuff. Everybody appears to make a nice looking car, probably all are pretty stiff, what separates the best from the great is how well they go around corners and maybe a slightly bumpy corner.
So what car goes around corners the best?
Old 09-21-2015, 04:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Coupe, 416ci of LS goodness
Not Ranked     

If you want a great cornering car buy a Porsche.
If you want something loud, obnoxious that hangs the arse out on demand and when you don't demand, buy a cobra!
spookypt, Modena, leroy17 and 1 others like this.