Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree300Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-21-2015, 05:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Rat Rod Racer, LS1 & T56
Neutral     

The CR once sorted handles very well. The results are on the board at the Nationals and Shelbyfest. That being said most of them can be made to handle if you put the time and effort in to setup. There's a few very quick DRBs out there and they have fairly basic running gear (Torana front end and live axle rear).

The Pace hasn't really been around long enough to show it's colours on the track. It's got all the ingredients to be a good handling car so this years Nationals will be interesting.

Cheers
Gav and Hoity like this.

Old 09-21-2015, 05:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force Mk I, 5L Windsor, TKO 600, enhanced Jag / Koni suspension & LSD Diff.
Not Ranked     

Hoity

You'll find in your research that all the kits have some foibles and none can tick almost all the boxes for one reason or another.

It is just working around the issues that are a must for you and those that would be a nice to have that might help set the stage.

For example the CR's originally restricted the depth or the rear rim off-set. If you want deep rear rims it might be an issue but Aussie Mike I believe has got around this.

The G-Force I believe has a pretty limiting cockpit shape that restricts seating choice. Not sure what the manufacturer available seats are like, so they are an option, but for me I swapped out MX5 seats that could not quite be made to best fit for a pair of Marty's (Kenmer) ADR compliant seat frames. Marty got the frames low onto sliders and it all worked to keep my soft top arrangement sensibly low.

And no doubt there will be plenty of other nuances like these that others can point to, but generally as is indicated above, there is usually some way around them.

Have fun "researching".
Hoity likes this.
Old 09-21-2015, 05:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Just as I see it ....

DRB go bloody well and have some very talented drivers behind them. Not bad for Torana based suspension. The guys have them dialled in.

Gary Walthers DRB race car also has lots of official race wins and QR lap records.

Classic Revivals Cobra under Ian Pretty's right boot have plenty of Marque SPORTS CAR wins. William Adams Robnell also competed toe to toe against Ian.

Python Cobras are regular runners in Victorian rounds of Marque Sports Cars.

Too many variables to say one is better than the other and we could argue individual merits for hours.......
Hoity likes this.
Old 09-21-2015, 05:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison#97 LS7 / T56
Not Ranked     

Hoity.....

I don't usually do this....but rather than spend too much time on the forum this morning...( Too much work to do)....
I thought maybe I'd just drop my usual "e-mail to clients" letter on the forum...

It will give you some pics to look at...and some info you might be interested in.

But ...like the others on here have suggested,
Get along to the Nationals, and you'll get PLENTY of ideas, and see the various brands in the flesh.

Good luck with your search, and maybe I'll see you at the Nationals.

Letter to prospective clients:

We are very proud of our PACE427, and think it’s important to note the following features:

The PACE427 is a remarkable vehicle in every aspect.

The PACE427 uses the latest design, engineering and production techniques, to deliver the best possible combination of world class design and function, in an authentic body shape.
We feel that we have left no stone unturned in our endeavour to produce a world class product.

The features of the PACE427 are many, and include,
Authentic body shape
Full gloss body finish, with Carbon/Kevlar body panels. (Full Carbon undercar finish as an option)
Optional “Full Aluminium” body.
Alloy Semi-monocoque chassis,
Alloy fully adjustable rocker suspension,
Pin drive wheels,
Brembo brakes.

This combination of function and finish, result in a truly beautiful supercar from the ground up.

I have attached the current brochure and price list,
This shows the base kit price, plus a comprehensive list of upgrades and options, designed to give you the ability to create the car of your dreams.

I have attached the following links, which will get access to the pictures of the cars, as well as the factory/premises here.

Here are some pics of the finished cars:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/f93zzssx8...Fgim93Aka?dl=0

ALSO….the same car, but with the 18” wheels:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/n3vdgzuvj...b0gxXWU7a?dl=0

And a look at what’s “under the skin”:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/n8t5oiv84...JV2tEu3ha?dl=0

A few pics of our factory:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/p37x51mjw...zXceoc0Ja?dl=0

Engine/Transmission choices:

Although we can install almost any compliant engine,

A current popular choice, and what appears to be the best “Dollar for horsepower” power plant ,
has been the 6.2 Litre GM LSA engine,
This engine, matched to the Tremec 6060 MG9, 6 speed gear box…makes for an awesome combination.

But of course there are many to choose from , both Ford and GM.

Here’s a Youtube link that has some interesting info on the LSA…I’m sure you can google many other sources of info.
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9wRx1tqHic[/ame]

If you have any questions about the product, or any other information you might want,
You can e-mail/phone me, and I’ll do my best to get you the answers.

Looking forward to discussing this further.

My e-mail and phone details are below.

Regards,

Warren BOYLAN
Ph: 0427 892745
warren@absolutepace.com

Last edited by Wazza; 09-21-2015 at 07:50 PM..
Old 09-21-2015, 06:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Pace 427SC. LSA Supercharged with 6sp TR-6060 trans.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoity View Post
Went over to eagle auto parts to get some pricing on the options for a v8. I haven't explored the engineering side as to what kit, will this motor fit, or can I get adr approval.
Eagle aren't the cheapest. Russell is building his Pace in Geelong and imported a 5.0 Ford Racing Coyote Aluminator, Ford Racing engine controller package and TKO transmission directly from the USA. He saved a lot of money this way. This motor will pass ADR/Emissions as it is the exact same motor in the current XR8, and forthcoming Mustang due later this year.

I can put you in touch with him if that's the route you wish to go. But, if you decide to go for the Pace, you'll need to decide on your motor choice by the time of ordering as the chassis needs to be built to fit the Coyote.

Last edited by Paintwerks; 09-21-2015 at 06:57 PM..
Old 09-21-2015, 07:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Pace Alumina 427 #69
Not Ranked     

I liked everything about the DRB Cobra, The Tori suspension was much better to deal with than the Jag IMHO , lots of motor options and proven track results but the tail end is to high in my book, I just couldn't get over it.
Hoity likes this.
Old 09-21-2015, 07:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Send a message via Yahoo to boxhead
Not Ranked     

Talk with an engineer before you decide on an engine.
I dare say the engines you are looking at are Carb ones, and these will not meet compliance.

Quote:
All very good points and I will concede that my history of the Cobra is not as complete as others.

That being said I have a Ford Performane Racing baseball cap I purchased for $25 about five years ago, if I got a chev I wouldn't feel right wearing the cap.

Went over to eagle auto parts to get some pricing on the options for a v8. I haven't explored the engineering side as to what kit, will this motor fit, or can I get adr approval.

As good as the chev looks from an engineering and performance point of view, I can't bring myself to get rid of my FPR cap. The 5.0L coyote could be the one, by the time you buy the ECU package for the chev, it's about $1500 dearer for the ford. That's for an approx 420 -450 hp package.

There maybe cheaper packages out there but this is a comparative perspective.
Wazza and Hoity like this.

Cruising in 5th

---------------------------------------------
Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.
Old 09-21-2015, 11:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: absolute pace chassis #50 L98 & 6 speed auto
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by albanycobra View Post
I liked everything about the DRB Cobra, The Tori suspension was much better to deal with than the Jag IMHO , lots of motor options and proven track results but the tail end is to high in my book, I just couldn't get over it.
the concept of the drb was very good buy a kit and buy a torana and away you go the kits with the doors /boot and bonnet hung made for a pretty easy build and put many people into cobras at a good cost the downside of that ive noticed is the real sale of drb 's is quite low also i saw some lovely ones when looking for a car but after racing torana's for many yrs that put me off torana running gear . however there are some bloody quick drb cars out there no denying that . and your right dave the bum just didnt do it for me either you dont seem to notice until you see one parked next to another make of kit . they all have there plus and minuses . the problem nowdays torana bits are getting harder and harder to find and the prices seeing to go thru the roof for the parts
albanycobra and Hoity like this.
Old 09-22-2015, 05:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintwerks View Post
Eagle aren't the cheapest. Russell is building his Pace in Geelong and imported a 5.0 Ford Racing Coyote Aluminator, Ford Racing engine controller package and TKO transmission directly from the USA. He saved a lot of money this way. This motor will pass ADR/Emissions as it is the exact same motor in the current XR8, and forthcoming Mustang due later this year.

I can put you in touch with him if that's the route you wish to go. But, if you decide to go for the Pace, you'll need to decide on your motor choice by the time of ordering as the chassis needs to be built to fit the Coyote.
Hey paintwerks, if I go down the road with pace, it would be great to tap into someone already doing one.
Do you happen to know the engine suppliers name, so I can have browse.
Cheers
Jon
Old 09-22-2015, 05:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Has anyone got a recommendation for an engineer, I am in SE Suburs. I will check the Vic Roads, website for VASS engineers,
Old 09-22-2015, 05:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxhead View Post
Talk with an engineer before you decide on an engine.
I dare say the engines you are looking at are Carb ones, and these will not meet compliance.
I will definitely go injected, but as you say will still need an engineer!
boxhead likes this.
Old 09-22-2015, 02:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force Cobra '68 302, T-5, Jag 3.77 LSD.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Has anyone got a recommendation for an engineer, I am in SE Suburs. I will check the Vic Roads, website for VASS engineers,
Best to go with one that has experience with Cobra's over one that's handy to your location. The grief of a bit of travel or paying travel time will far out weigh the hoops an unfamiliar guy will make you jump through.
Old 09-22-2015, 03:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival CR 3505, LS1, T56 6 Speed, VE 3.45 LSD Rear, 6 Spot AP Fronts, 4 Spot Wilwood Rears
Not Ranked     

Hoity, Try Enkelmans in Braeside - quite a few of the CCCV members have used them - I did and found them to be very helpful. Cheers Gregg
Old 09-22-2015, 08:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison#97 LS7 / T56
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Hi Jon,
Those contact details for the engineer that I sent to you last night...
Tom Bullock
Company Name: A. Enkelman & Associates Pty Ltd
Factory 1, 5 Braeside Drive
Braeside Victoria Australia 3195

I thought Braeside was in the SE suburbs ?

Hopefully he's close enough to be of some help.
Cheers,
Warren.
Old 09-22-2015, 08:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

+1 for Enkelman and Associates. They engineered my Cobra. Easy straightforward process.

Cheers

Old 09-22-2015, 09:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force Mk I, 5L Windsor, TKO 600, enhanced Jag / Koni suspension & LSD Diff.
Not Ranked     

See Hoity exactly who I suggested too +2 for Enkelman's.

Their experience with most variants of cobras makes them an ideal option.

And have to concur with the experience over distance - Aussie Mike is western suburbs or is that the wild wild western burbs Mike?
Old 09-22-2015, 09:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I agree, go with experience. You will only need to see them a couple of times during the build and trailering to them is easy enough. Enkelmans had already done a couple of CRs which makes life easier. I imagine they will have done a Pace or two by the time you build so have most bases covered.

Cheers

Old 09-22-2015, 10:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival CR3516, LS3, Aussie Mike'd T-56, 3.70 LSD, AP brakes, Penske shocks
Not Ranked     

If you have a kit they are comfortable with, you dont need to see them at all until its finished. I've spoken to them a few times over the 4 years of the build with various questions, always they have said no need to see anything until its ready.
Old 09-22-2015, 10:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance MK111 Ford 5.0 Cammer N/A
Not Ranked     

Enkelmans + 3 That's who we use on our Superformance MKIII
Old 09-22-2015, 11:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJ47 View Post
Enkelmans + 3 That's who we use on our Superformance MKIII
The SUPERFORMANCE is another you should have a look at !!!!!!!

Contact LJ on this forum, he is a Melbourne local.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: