Club Cobra Keith Craft Racing  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Classic Roadsters II

Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2018, 01:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters
Not Ranked     
Default Anyone put a turbo in their CR? 5k max budget

I am coming up on unpacking Big Red for the season and want to add a kick in the pants without putting a new engine in which I have planned for next season a stroked 427 clevor at $13k plus. I am near Denver 5280 elevation

Currently have a 351w with edlebrock heads #6025 170cc 2.02 intake, holley 540 avenger I know I need to change this, performer rpm cam#7182, straight exhaust glass packs.

Dont want nitrous and want to spend as little as possible and put it in over a 4 day weekend. Need to clear hood which has more room than normal since I dropped engine position when putting in new suspension.

Engine has around 450 hp now but want to achieve 550 to 600 plus.

Considered supercharger centrifugal or roots vain.
Figured roots vain because dont have to deal with intercooler and want low end power but not sure which unit will do this on a carborated engine. Weiand, or can a whipple charger work? 3k to 4k on this ?

Which is why I am asking about turbo chargers. Amazon has chicon packages with twin chargers at $1000 that claim 200 hp plus. Ive watched all the videos I could but worry that this wont fit under the hood, modifying headers or its going to create so much heat that car will be in perpetual heat soak.

Has anyone installed this?
Thanks for any input.
Old 03-11-2018, 04:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Sounds you are better off waiting for your next engine.

Current compression ratio, piston material, conrods, headgaskets, might as well say whole engine mechanical combo, including the camshaft, dictates whether you can add boost to the mix.

A 750 DP of some sort, with a progressive nitrous system would get you there cheaper.
Old 03-11-2018, 04:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

What's wrong with a Paxton? They've been used on Fords for years. Low boost (4psi) is what was used on Mustangs in the day.

Turbos will require significant replumbing and the amount of space to do it with the side pipes is very limited.

But first ask why you think you need 500-600 hp? I bet you aren't using the 400 you have. (And I lived in Lyons and couldn't come anywhere close to using the 500+ in my Cobra. I have stated again that if I were to do another Cobra it would be a small block car.)
Blue66, Ron61 and Gaz64 like this.
Old 03-11-2018, 04:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

As long as the OP doesn't get the "boost bug", then a Paxton or Vortech low boost blow through should be ok.
The carburettor also needs to be setup for boost pressure, throttle shafts pressure fed etc.
Old 03-11-2018, 05:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaz64 View Post
As long as the OP doesn't get the "boost bug", then a Paxton or Vortech low boost blow through should be ok.
The carburettor also needs to be setup for boost pressure, throttle shafts pressure fed etc.
Good point. Much more than that and the whole carb setup will probably not work and require a switch to fuel injection.

And I'll assert that none of these are a "4 day weekend" project. Mechanical installation is one thing but the tuning and other adjustments to the engine (including fuel flow and maybe even require new fuel pumps) are going to take more time than that, and also require expertise that will probably be best done by a speed shop. Consider that expert installation and tuning will probably cost as much as the unit.

I know a guy in Loveland that does really good work (he rescued the fuel injection on my Cobra) if you're interested PM me. I'll have to dig it up since it's been almost 10 years.
Old 03-11-2018, 07:06 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Pacific Roadster, 347 cu.in. 5-speed
Not Ranked     

@RedHawk, I was going though CL, and have seen this Cobra for sale for a while, noticed it mentioned Turbo. Thought maybe this is somebody you can get in touch with for idea's. Look's like a nice job on the install. Hope this might help, Tom. https://seattle.craigslist.org/est/c...506801673.html
Old 03-11-2018, 07:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A&C 67 427 cobra SB
Not Ranked     

Quote:
A 750 DP of some sort, with a progressive nitrous system would get you there cheaper.
For a temporary bump in Hp until the new engine is put in. No doubt this is the quickest and likely lowest cost option. If you go with a wet system (shoots fuel in with the gas) you do not need to touch the carb. You do need some way to pull some timing out when the nitrous goes in, or bad things will befall you. Well for cheap you could just pull the timing out and let the engine run retarded all the time. Might make it run a tad hot and waste fuel. I wouldn't recommend that route, but it could work. Especially if you do not go huge on the nitrous shot.

Good luck.

Last edited by olddog; 03-11-2018 at 07:16 PM.. Reason: deleted Cleveland comment. Misread Cleavor.
Old 03-12-2018, 03:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1992 Classic Roadsters, 427 Dart Stroker, Tremec 5spd, 8.8 positrac differential
Not Ranked     
Default 500-600 hp

Contact Zach at ZSR engines he has a New dart based 427 stroker for sale (as I write this). A very good all ford engine builder, specializes in ford strokers. This engine should be 600 HP all day. Customer changed directions on his project so Zach has it on special now. Nice piece for the money. ZSR engines on Facebook. He built my 427 and I couldn't be more pleased.
Old 03-12-2018, 05:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2291, Whipple Blown & Injected 4V ModMotor
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHawk View Post
I am coming up on unpacking Big Red for the season and want to add a kick in the pants without putting a new engine in which I have planned for next season a stroked 427 clevor at $13k plus. I am near Denver 5280 elevation.

Currently have a 351w with edlebrock heads #6025 170cc 2.02 intake, holley 540 avenger I know I need to change this, performer rpm cam#7182, straight exhaust glass packs.
I tend to like the deformer clams with something north (sumtines soth) of 290 2 310 degrees of freedom. If you combinate these with a low, high rpm dev kit it'll take your heart (and a lut of $) away. Straight exhaust is OK but if you can find a banked oval heatr it's even butter.

Quote:
Dont want nitrous and want to spend as little as possible and put it in over a 4 day weekend. Need to clear hood which has more room than normal since I dropped engine position when putting in new suspension.
You should be eble to finnish easily in 4 weekedns.

Quote:
Engine has around 450 hp now but want to achieve 550 to 600 plus.
Best way to do this is jest crenk up the toast. When you get 15 or 20 pounds of toast it well seat all those parts together like uve nevr sen before - no problemo!

Quote:
Considered supercharger centrifugal or roots vain. Figured roots vain because dont have to deal with intercooler and want low end power but not sure which unit will do this on a carborated engine. Weiand, or can a whipple charger work? 3k to 4k on this ?
the vein superchurgers will let you really turn up the toast. It's all part of the vein teknolugy adventege. No intrkolers required but you might want to look out to a overkoler to enhance the kinetek engerny of the feul and hair molecules.

Quote:
Which is why I am asking about turbo chargers. Amazon has chicon packages with twin chargers at $1000 that claim 200 hp plus. Ive watched all the videos I could but worry that this wont fit under the hood, modifying headers or its going to create so much heat that car will be in perpetual heat soak.
eBay will have electric turbochurgers from time toim. These are really killr bekuz nuthin wurks like they do. They tend to be at an altitude all theirown.

I haven't usd wone yet but a frend of moe of my recent acquaintendes said his buddy did andu have to bee carefull. At 14vults yu run a risk of balloninging the crank shaff.

Quote:
Has anyone installed this?
Thanks for any input.
Not yet ahem weiting for some won lse to tai it furst …

Help them do what they would have done if they had known what they could do.
Old 03-12-2018, 05:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1966 Street Beasts Cobra 427 S/C, 502 cid
Not Ranked     

TorqStorm Ford 351 Windsor Supercharger Kits

TorqStorm makes a centrifugal supercharger system for 351Ws for $2800, but you'll have to buy a blow through carburetor. I believe TorqStorm will sell you a Quick Fuel blow through carburetor as additional equipment, but I don't know how much more that would add to your total cost. There's a contact number on their website, so you can call them for all the details.

A centrifugal supercharger won't provide as much low end torque as a roots-style supercharger, but the boost will (in general) kick in faster than with twin turbos.

Here's an interesting article comparing a Chevy 305 and a Ford 302, before and after adding a TorqStorm. The improvement in hp in both engines was staggering. http://www.hotrod.com/articles/5-0l-...4-storm-rages/

Last edited by 520SC; 03-12-2018 at 10:10 PM..
Old 03-13-2018, 11:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 331lxstang View Post
Contact Zach at ZSR engines he has a New dart based 427 stroker for sale (as I write this). A very good all ford engine builder, specializes in ford strokers. This engine should be 600 HP all day. Customer changed directions on his project so Zach has it on special now. Nice piece for the money. ZSR engines on Facebook. He built my 427 and I couldn't be more pleased.
Thanks I'll do that!
Old 03-13-2018, 11:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 520SC View Post

TorqStorm makes a centrifugal supercharger system for 351Ws for $2800, but you'll have to buy a blow through carburetor. I believe TorqStorm will sell you a Quick Fuel blow through carburetor as additional equipment, but I don't know how much more that would add to your total cost. There's a contact number on their website, so you can call them for all the details.

A centrifugal supercharger won't provide as much low end torque as a roots-style supercharger, but the boost will (in general) kick in faster than with twin turbos.

Here's an interesting article comparing a Chevy 305 and a Ford 302, before and after adding a TorqStorm. The improvement in hp in both engines was staggering. 5.0L Fistfight, part 4 : The Storm Rages On - Hot Rod Network
Huh...okay I missed this setup in my discovery. I put in a powerdyne myself back in 96 when I had my Cobra mustang and it was definitely a kick in the pants. I did however had to do quite a bit of tuning to deal with detonation. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 03-13-2018, 11:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 331lxstang View Post
Called and left Zach a message. Thanks
Old 03-13-2018, 11:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by olddog View Post
For a temporary bump in Hp until the new engine is put in. No doubt this is the quickest and likely lowest cost option. If you go with a wet system (shoots fuel in with the gas) you do not need to touch the carb. You do need some way to pull some timing out when the nitrous goes in, or bad things will befall you. Well for cheap you could just pull the timing out and let the engine run retarded all the time. Might make it run a tad hot and waste fuel. I wouldn't recommend that route, but it could work. Especially if you do not go huge on the nitrous shot.

Good luck.
You know if I can't come to a solution than I may consider this. Only concern is to make sure I can control boost so I don't get just one blast in the beginning making the car potentially hard to control. I know there are systems to do this but I have never ran a car with nitrous so lacking experience to make an informed decision.
Old 03-13-2018, 02:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Sooo..after reading the various posts (thank you) calling a few people, going back to previous research I think I'm leaning towards the torqstorm for reasons I'll explain once I actually complete the purchase. The next call is to Brent Lykins to get a carb set up for what I want to do.
Old 03-13-2018, 09:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 520SC View Post

Here's an interesting article comparing a Chevy 305 and a Ford 302, before and after adding a TorqStorm. The improvement in hp in both engines was staggering. 5.0L Fistfight, part 4 : The Storm Rages On - Hot Rod Network
A few things I don't like about this system.

The tensioner is on the tight side of the belt.
A manually adjusted belt goes tighter under load on the driven side, so the tensioner bearing goes from "adjusted" load to higher load under boost.
When fitted on the "slack" side of the belt, the tensioner bearing goes from "adjusted" load to slightly less, so longer life.
Hence why factory fitted tensioners are spring loaded on the "slack" side of the belt.

The air filter should be mounted in cool location, certainly not directly above the exhaust system.

Gary
Buzz likes this.
Old 03-14-2018, 03:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:

A manually adjusted belt goes tighter under load on the driven side, so the tensioner bearing goes from "adjusted" load to higher load under boost.
When fitted on the "slack" side of the belt, the tensioner bearing goes from "adjusted" load to slightly less, so longer life.
Hence why factory fitted tensioners are spring loaded on the "slack" side of the belt.

The air filter should be mounted in cool location, certainly not directly above the exhaust system.

Gary
I have a call with Chris their engineer where I will present these valid points. I will say that I too thought the very same thing about the air filter. My thoughts were to run it in the other direction and fab up an inlet like a mass air sensor I put in one of my mustangs like a gazillion years ago.
-or- Put some kind of heat shield between the header and the filter but I will ask that too.

The tensioner I did not think about.
Thanks!
Old 03-14-2018, 04:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

If you fabricate a custom 40 degree elbow, that air cleaner would sit just above the compressor, but man, that would be a really sharp bend in the air flow path. I would imagine that their engineer has already determined that the current location is the lesser of the two evils.

Last edited by 520SC; 03-14-2018 at 05:00 PM..
Old 03-15-2018, 08:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

Quote:

Gary
Yes, the tensioner s/b on the 'slack' side of the belt whenever possible, though I do note from looking at the photo the tensioner adjustment mechanism appears to be fairly robust. Still, much better on the slack side, for reasons you've noted.

It s/b fairly easy to relocate the air filter to a better spot with appropriate tubing and long or medium-radius elbows. Tight turns s/b avoided if at all possible. The challenge with most cars, and Cobras in particular, is the limited space and the various obstructions you need to work around or relocate.
Old 03-15-2018, 08:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

It looks like that intake pipe can be rotated 45 degrees in the counterclockwise direction. That would move the air cleaner closer to the carburetor. Still not ideal, but at least it won't be sitting directly above the headers.